Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2003 4:15:28 PM EDT
I found the most beautiful, loving, and gentle Christian girl a year ago and we're committed to each other. We both know it's time. I'm a pretty creative guy who could probably think up a thousand ways to slip a ring on her finger, but it's always nice to hear how it went for others. So how did you do it? What, when, where and how?

ViCAP
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
We kinda had no choice.... Pregnancy test said "Hey!! CONGRATULATIONS!! You are getting married!!!"

No regrets though... was gonna anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not qualified to answer this question, I only have one wife.

Where are the members from UT?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
"YO! BITCH! The fuckin' IRS raped me this year. You don't make squat, so let's get hitched and beat the bastards!"
I forgot about the marriage penalty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I said "its about time some woman fucked my life up again"...she said OK.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch Thompsondd, that hurts man [:D]

Honestly, I took my wife on a "sight seeing" drive and took her back to the spot we originally met and dropped to a knee and asked.

I saw a thing on TV today where a guy took his girl fishing and then while they were fishing he tied the right to the end of the line.

Pretty cool but BALLSY, I've lost WAY too many lures on brush to try that trick.

Good luck, that's awesome.

Quoted:
I am not qualified to answer this question, I only have one wife.

Where are the members from UT?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
We were living together and had went to stay a week in her parent's beach house in Panama City Beach. I just asked her one day while we were there if she wanted to get married. She said yes and we went to the court house and got married. That was almost 12 years ago. I still think it was one of the best things I ever did.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, my sarcasism was only meant to cover up my deep seeded embarassment of not taking the time to do it better. My (one) wife has been the best thing to happen in my life, and I feel like dung for NOT making it more memorable.

Maybe I should get a second wife just to try that on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I met my wife while serving in Germany. I proposed after about 1 1/2 years together, on a weekend she came down to visit me, but her family was against us getting married. I had my own place off post, we lived about 2 1/2 hours apart. After about 5 years we said to hell with them and eloped to Denmark!

You may ask "Why Denmark?"

Because all you need in Denmark is a birth certificate and a pulse. No BS to put up with like in Germany!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Along a riverbank on a warm summer night under gas lanterns near Bangkok's Wat Arun (temple of the rising dawn).
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a big box of Cracker Jacks and opened the bottom of the box and carefully opened the bag. I put the ring in and taped up the bag and hot glued the bottom of the box closed and went to her apartment to watch some TV. We watched TV and munched on Cracker Jacks and when she got near the bottom & found the prize and opened the ring box, the rest became history.

A friend of mine took his wife-to-be out to dinner, she was sort of a bossy type. When the waiter asked for their drink order, he ordered for her, but said "No Ice". She said she wanted ice, and they got into an argument, when she told the waiter to ignore him and put ice in her drink, he said "here's your ice" and showed her the ring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I took her to breakfast and while we were there I asked to look at the ring her mother had given her for her birthday.  When I put the ring back on her hand, I replaced it with the engagement ring and put it on her ring finger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Fancy Italian Restuarante; Rack 'o Lamb; Wine; Dean Martin Italian Love Songs in the background; One knee, ring, yada, yada, yada....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never been married, but how about:

"Hey, you got anything big planned for next September?"  She will probably say, "I dunno, why?"

"Well, I was thinking of gettin' married; wanna join me?"
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Another thing you can do is fake a serious accident.  Have one of your friends call her and tell her you are in the hospital and going to die within 3 days.  Get set up in the hospital and when she comes to visit, weakly take her hand and tell her the last thing you want to do on earth is marry her.  She will start crying and be overcome with emotion.  THat's when you jump out of bed and tell her the accident was just a joke but you really do want to marry her before you die.  Then give her the ring.  She will LOVE IT!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I called her up at work one day. I said, "Will you marry me?"
She said "yes".

Oh, did I mention this: I was in the US, she was in Scotland.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I went to a bed and breakfast near Enchanted Rock here in Texas....it was already a tradition for us to be there, so she didn't know what i was planning.  I actually had no idea when I was going to do it.  I just kind of figured that that weekend would provide an opportunity.  It did, halfway up the granite face of Enchanted Rock, we took a breather and looking out over the beautiful hill country, well it was just perfect.  

My advice:  carry that ring around all the time.  You'll know the time when it's right.

--ZERO
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
True romance. We had been committed to each other for 7 years. One night we were sitting on the couch watching TV. She turned to me and said, "So... Are you going to marry me or what?" I replied, "I guess I should." That was 20 years ago. Love that woman.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
ok, i'll tell..............but if i do i must be declared official arfcom redneck!!

took her out to dinner to propose, could not for the life of me figure out where to hide the ring on me as it would show.  then i felt the deep need for a dip of snuff to continue the thought process...............i emptied out the rest of my copenhagen and hid the ring in the can, proposed in the parking lot of the restaurant after the meal
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Just say I Do  I do whatever the hell you want me too for the rest of my freaking life. OH BTW GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
She proposed to me. It was in bed at her parents one afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind, I was a young kid and thought I was being creative.

I proposed on Christmas day. I bought a single, white rose the night before and drove the florist nuts picking out the exact one that was open enough to fit the ring in its blossom but still closed enough to keep it from falling out. I put the whole contraption in a shirt box stuffed with tissue paper and wrapped it like a regular present.

When she opened it, she thought it was sweet but didn't notice the ring at first. When she saw the deadpan smirk on my face, she took a closer look and started to cry.

Man, twelve years goes fast.

Note to self: pick up a white rose this Christmas Eve. Good luck finding one that'll fit and camoflage the Ruger SP-101 I bought her.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another thing you can do is fake a serious accident.  Have one of your friends call her and tell her you are in the hospital and going to die within 3 days.  Get set up in the hospital and when she comes to visit, weakly take her hand and tell her the last thing you want to do on earth is marry her.  She will start crying and be overcome with emotion.  THat's when you jump out of bed and tell her the accident was just a joke but you really do want to marry her before you die.  Then give her the ring.  She will LOVE IT!

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Good thing your all ready at the hospital......cause yer gonna get yer ass beat!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Our first date had been at a Chinese restaurant, so I wanted to take her back there to propose.

Originally, I wanted to have the ring in a fortune cookie, but it wouldn't fit by opening and gluing one back together, and no place makes their own cookies anymore.

So instead, I gave it to the head waiter to put in one of those hand carved appetizer things that they make.

After giving him the ring, it occurred to me that I had just given a total stranger an $8000 piece of jewelry. I half expected her to find a note saying "Syanara (sp?) Sucker!!!"

Three different waiters stood around with goofy grins on their faces after they presented it to her. She found it though, and said "Yes", so all is well ten years later.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
At the end of our 2 week trip to China, my girlfriend and I flew from Beijing to Hong Kong.

I asked her to marry me on Victoria Peak, the highest mountain overlooking Hong Kong harbor.

She said yes so i brought her back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Morton's Steakhouse, San Antonio, Texas.

Had it all set nice, to take care of it before our steaks got to the table.  Good idea right?

"Hey guys!  How y'all doin'?"

Oh look, it's one of my wife's Aunt's drunk-assed friends.  So he comes over and talks with us.  This guy is a HUGE talker.  So our food gets there.  He's still yakkin'.  We try to eat, he's still yakkin'.  Fucker finally leaves after about 30 minutes, and I'm frazzled as all shit.  Long story short (TOO LATE!) I finally move the table and chairs outta the way, get down on the knee, and ask.  SHE SAID NO!
Just kidding.  Happily got a yes, although she knew what I had planned the whole time [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I proposed this past summer. We had a week off work and were staying at my parent's lake place. I had just bought a GPS so we tried out Geotracking all over the lake for a whole afternoon with the dog. I drove back into the slew and was close to the cabin, she was in the back of the boat howling and the dog was howling with her. I had the ring hidden in a compartment right next to where she was. I stopped the boat, got on one knee, grabbed the box and whipped out the ring. We both just stared at each other and made out for a while, it was a huge rush! So then I tell her she needs to put some shorts and a shirt on (had a bikini on) because we had company at the cabin. We pulled up and docked the boat, walked inside to a 7 course meal fully prepared. While we were out, I had a chef and his assistant come up to the cabin and prepare us a meal that would have made Emeril jealous (creole shrimp and cheese grits in martini glasses, cheese tray, prosciutto and melon, chicken en croute, etc. etc. ). He also brought a big thing of flowers I had bought from a florist and had delivered to him that morning. It was the way to do it. It was also cheap (comparatively) because he gave me the receipt from the grocery store ($178) and then I paid him $250 to drive an 1 1/2 hours each way AND bring an assistant. He had just graduated from the Culinary school in my town. If there is a culinary school near you, USE IT!

The lake is where I spent a lot of my childhood and it has always been a big part of my life and has become that way for her too. It was the place to do it, no doubt. We unfortunately are not getting married up there, but would if we could.

Think of a place that is important to her, you or both of you and do it there. Or take her to a Vegas titty bar and have it hooked to a stripper's nipple piercing!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife proposed to me. In a Pizza Hut of all places....right out of the blue. I told her something that made her laugh, she just looked at me and asked if I'd marry her.

Dumbfounded, I said yes. I'm still dumbfounded, but thank god not sorry.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#30]
(insert newbie alert)

A year or so after Judy and I met, she introduced me to the craft of counted cross-stitch.  I found I enjoyed the craft.

All right, now that you're done laughing at me, I'll continue.  (BTW, the Lord's Prayer done in cross-stitch scored lotsa points with the future mother-in-law.)  We tended to take many trips to a craft store nearby, and after I graduated college, got a job, and dropped the money for a ring, I stopped by her parents' place (she was living with/looking out for her grandmother) and made sure it was okay with them.  It was, but there was no good time that night to do it.  I was so excited that I had to act a little grouchy to cover it.  The next day she and I headed out to our craft store, and I picked out a cross-stitch pattern which I knew she liked, handed it to her, and said, "I want to make this for you...but only if you'll marry me."  I took a knee, and she took the ring.  It's been 6.5 years of marriage.

If I had it to do over, I would have notified the store management - maybe we could have gotten a gift certificate or something...  :-)

Marriage is one-third better than anything you ever imagined, one-third worse than anything you ever feared, and one third about what you expected.  A friend of mine told me this before I got married, and I have found it to be true.

Oh, yes - keep your engagement under a year if you can.  17 months was almost unbearable.

Will an engagement ring fit around an AR-15 barrel, or does that send the wrong message?
:-)

Blessings and peace.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I went to the trainyard and picked up chunks of coal.  Then, I "Dremeled" a hole in one and inserted the diamond ring (1.14ct VSSF) into the hole.  I put that, and the other coal into her stocking.

On Christmas eve, all her gifts were cookware and home junk.  Just useful stuff.

Then, when she looked in her stocking, I told her that she must have been a "bad" girl [}:)].  When she set the particular piece of coal down, I picked it up to look at it, and asked her "what other stuff comes from coal?"

That's when she took a closer look.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Six years ago this month.  First made a candlelight dinner for my girlfriend.  Took her to a beautiful Tabernacle choir Christmas performance (where the church leaders spoke).  After the Christmas devotional, walked around Temple Square in Salt Lake City until I found a relatively private location.  Got down on one knee with the Temple behind me and the ring in my hand and, with surprising eloquence, proposed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#33]
"I'm shipping out for 30 days... If we get married now, my BAQ and COMRATS will have kicked-in by then.... Plus we'll get some back pay for the 30 or so days prior.... What do you say?"
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
[b]I did'nt the second time, thats why I'm still FREE![/b]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought a ring and planned to ask her over an intimate dinner for two.  Caught the flu the day before and got sick as a dog.  Scared shitless, I did not sleep the night before and worked up the nerve to ask her AFTER we were forced to cancel our dinner plans.  She said that we hadn't discussed marriage enough to give me an answer. She just wasn't ready, and needed more time to decide if marriage would still allow her personal freedom. [:(]  Needless to say I was crushed.

I put the ring in a safe deposit box and put on a brave face.  Two months later, my secretary put a dozen roses on my desk.  Puzzled, I asked what was going on.  She said, "Hell if I know, read the card!"  I opened it up--it said "YES!"

Here I am, 9 years, two kids and a dog later!  Marriage is a tough haul sometimes, but I've never regretted one single day!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=22429&iGalleryUnq=557&iImageUnq=20619[/img]

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I couldn't outrun her...you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#37]
On the upper deck of a river boat (pre-Titanic movie), w/a full moon.  Was scared shitless about dropping the ring overboard.  We even got dinner and a show as a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I proposed and gave her a diamond that I had inherited from my grandmother (to be made into a wedding ring if she said yes) on Christmas eve. Worked out pretty good too, she said yes, was very happy and I didn't have to buy her a Christmas gift that year. That was thirteen great years ago next week.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Dinner at 3 forks restaurant, then went to Reunion Tower (the big ball-shaped building in downtown Dallas) for drinks.  I got on a knee and proposed right there.  And I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Clearwater Beach, FLA, May 10, 1998. Took a long walk on the beach with her. In an empty area at sunset, I got down on one knee and proposed.

When we got back from the beach, we noticed my knee still had a bunch of sand on it, so we brushed it off into a ziplock bag for posterity.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't do this but true............

Took her to a romantic dance with a live band. During a cheak to cheak romantic slow dance I popped the question which she replied, "UH? I can't hear you."  So I yelled "WILL YOU (band stops playing) MARRY ME."

Crowd bursts into laughter as she kisses me. I figure that meant yes since we've been married 30 years now but then maybe not.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I took her to a place called Eagles Peak in the State park in St.Croix Falls WI on Valentines day. It was about -10 out & when we drove through the park she asked if we could go there. It's where we had our 1st kiss. It was already my plan, so she fell right into it. We walked up the hill & when we got there I proposed on 1 knee. She started crying & her tears wear freezing to her cheeks in long black streaks about 1/2 way down. I thought it was kinda funny, but it worked. We've been married a little over 13 years now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dinner at 3 forks restaurant, then went to Reunion Tower (the big ball-shaped building in downtown Dallas) for drinks.  I got on a knee and proposed right there.  [red]And I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little...[/red]
View Quote

Yep, the loss of ones freedom will do that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
(insert newbie alert)

A year or so after Judy and I met, she introduced me to the craft of counted cross-stitch.  I found I enjoyed the craft.

[pink]All right, now that you're done laughing at me,[/pink] I'll continue.  (BTW, the Lord's Prayer done in cross-stitch scored lotsa points with the future mother-in-law.)  We tended to take many trips to a craft store nearby, and after I graduated college, got a job, and dropped the money for a ring, I stopped by her parents' place (she was living with/looking out for her grandmother) and made sure it was okay with them.  It was, but there was no good time that night to do it.  I was so excited that I had to act a little grouchy to cover it.  The next day she and I headed out to our craft store, and I picked out a cross-stitch pattern which I knew she liked, handed it to her, and said, "I want to make this for you...but only if you'll marry me."  I took a knee, and she took the ring.  It's been 6.5 years of marriage.

If I had it to do over, I would have notified the store management - maybe we could have gotten a gift certificate or something...  :-)

Marriage is one-third better than anything you ever imagined, one-third worse than anything you ever feared, and one third about what you expected.  A friend of mine told me this before I got married, and I have found it to be true.

Oh, yes - keep your engagement under a year if you can.  17 months was almost unbearable.

Will an engagement ring fit around an AR-15 barrel, or does that send the wrong message?
:-)

Blessings and peace.
View Quote

[rofl2][lol]Sorry, I'm not done laughing yet!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(insert newbie alert)

[pink]All right, now that you're done laughing at me,[/pink]

[rofl2][lol]Sorry, I'm not done laughing yet!
View Quote

I'm thinking pretty hard about making a buttstock cover.  Flowers and butterflies and stuff might make the weapon look a little less threatening.  I wonder what kind of flowers Sarah Brady likes....[thinking]

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#46]
We woke up one morning and over coffee she said we have been together for four years, don't you think it is time we got married . I said I guess so. We did, and that was 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We woke up one morning and over coffee she said we have been together for four years, don't you think it is time we got married . I said I guess so. We did, and that was 20 years ago.
View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Buddy of mine was living with his lady.
He was working days and she was working
evenings.
He taped the two rings to the tv in the bedroom with a note that said if she was interested he would talk to her in the morning. Then he went to bed. For some reason she woke him up after she turned on the tv.

Me, I asked her family first. Then I asked her.
I was being nice, I didnt care what they said. GRIN
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#49]
On my back....begging for my life.....with a glock 17 to my head!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#50]
At the base of the statue of liberty. May not seem like much but for a couple of small town folks, it was pretty cool.
CH
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top