Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2003 1:16:11 PM EDT
OK so the vile loathsome demon has been caught.

He will more than likely be tried in Iraq by Iraqis.

Assume you were in charge of the punishment. Would torture, simply for retribution and payback, be morally justified?

I don't mean simple beatings or mild torture. I mean burning his feet, throwing acid on him, cutting him and pouring salt on the wounds, beatings, raping him with a baton, electrocution, cutting his balls off and feeding them to him, etc.

Would this type of sadistic torture simply to pay him back for what he did for all those years be morally justified punishment? Obviously the sentence would be death, but that would be after the torture.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad he's not really a Muslim, otherwise I would starve him, then serve him pork ribs laced with ebola.

CW
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Torture would only serve to bring us to his level and martyr him.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Staked out over an ant hill sounds fun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt there is a sufficient punishment that somehow rivals his ruthless treatment of the Iraqi people over the last 30 years. Torture implemented on a daily basis would serve no significant purpose other than to further the anti-american sentiment in that region. Now, if OBL were captured, a quick flight to the U.S. in order to exact some kind of public torture, would be extremely pleasing to this member. Sure, Saddam is a wretched and vile motherfucker, but torture almost seems inhumane against his old decrepit ass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think torture, just to inflict pain is justified in any circumstance.  JUSTICE is a different matter.

I'd really like to see him put in a cage, middle of baghdad,  and then let people sign up for 1 minute sessions with him.  Whatever they please.

It might also be nice to have a trail,  give him prison and then just throw him in general pop till he gets killed.

I'm not sure he should get the death penalty,  just a little too easy for him.  

matt
crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they put him to the chopping block, but mess it up with a bad blow, and need another couple of whacks.  It's happened a "few" times with other executions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
You could always have a trial, at the arraignment tell him that charges will not be pressed at this time and announce when and where he'll be released.

CW
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure the Kurds would like his next stop to be ....

International Court of Justice
Peace Palace
2517 KJ The Hague
The Netherlands,

For Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, (as is being done with Bosnia and Herzegovina v. Serbia and Montenegro.)

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Torture is NEVER justified as punishment.
The only CONCEIVABLE time it could be justified is when it is used on someone known to be guilty to save innocent lives who are in imminent danger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
We need to move with caution on how we handle El Coward al Tikriti.

1. Get as much intel about the rest of his network of thugs, the WMD's, Scott Speicher, post GW1 military assistance from France, Germany, and Russia, ties with AQ.  Use of Kuwaiti or Egyptian interrogators could be benificial.

2. Get him on tape acting like a scared school girl begging for mercy. Then broadcast it to the Arab world to show how much of a coward their great hero, their modern day Saaladin really is.

3. Turn him over to the Iraqi people and let them administer the "Nicolae Ceaucescu" treatment for deposed dictators.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I look forward to the day when he is hanged in public for all the world to see.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We won't be the ones doing it. the Iraqis will be. paybacks a bitch.mmk
View Quote

Ok, I missed it. Who are you and how did you become a Staff member? [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm still in favor of public hanging. Just kill him, let everyone see that he's really dead, and move on. They're going to have enough trouble cleaning up Iraq without constructing elaborate torture scenarios for Saddam.

I'm sure the video of him being taken out to the gallows will be entertaining.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Some thoughts in no particular order:

We have no legal gripe with him.

We wouldn't want to kill him anyway, since that would martyr him and turn "undecided" Iraqis against us.

The World Court (spit) doesn't have the death penalty.

Handing him over to the Kurds, Shi'ah, Israelis, Turks, et al would also martyr him in the eyes of Asudis and most Iraqis.

SO:

Send him to Kuwait.  They have a legitimate claim on his soon to be cooling carcass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some thoughts in no particular order:

[red]We have no legal gripe with him.[/red]

We wouldn't want to kill him anyway, since that would martyr him and turn "undecided" Iraqis against us.

The World Court (spit) doesn't have the death penalty.

Handing him over to the Kurds, Shi'ah, Israelis, Turks, et al would also martyr him in the eyes of Asudis and most Iraqis.

SO:

Send him to Kuwait.  They have a legitimate claim on his soon to be cooling carcass.
View Quote

He attempted to assassinate George Bush Sr...But I agree on the other points.  Pump him for intel, then turn him over to Iraq and then Kuwait for trial and execution.  Let THOSE people do the deed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He attempted to assassinate George Bush Sr...But I agree on the other points.  Pump him for intel, then turn him over to Iraq and then Kuwait for trial and execution.  Let THOSE people do the deed.
View Quote

We think we know that, but there is no way in Hades we would ever convince the Arab world we didn't kill him for embarrassing us 1991-2002.  He will be the old lion killed by cowards, and the Arab world gains another hero.
But if he is executed for murder by [b]Arabs[/b] then all that goes away.  We should stay far back.

BTW, they ought to chip him while he is recuperating, just in case he gets loose somehow.  That would be hilarious.

Larry
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BTW, they ought to chip him while he is recuperating, just in case he gets loose somehow.  That would be hilarious.

Larry
View Quote

Dude, excellent point.  I know how they could get it in him too....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Does anyone get the sinking feeling that this could all go horribly awry?

I.E. We turn him over to the Iraqis, and loyalists spirit him away because of ineffective/supportive Iraqi guards, etc.  

Or the courts don't convict him, something along those lines?

This has been bothering me since I heard there would not be a US-led trial.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does anyone get the sinking feeling that this could all go horribly awry?

View Quote

No.  No matter who leads the trial, the US will be the ones holding him over, with US guards at a US facility.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
(snip)3. Turn him over to the Iraqi people and let them administer the "Nicolae Ceaucescu" treatment for deposed dictators.

View Quote

Funny you should mention that. My 8 year old son, upon hearing the news this morning that Saddam was captured, walked into the other room and penned, then mailed off, a letter to President Bush (!), in which, he told us, he wrote, in his best 8 yr. old printing and full of misspellings, I guess, that he thought Saddam Hussein should be locked in a room with the families of his victims, and the families should be given baseball bats....a choice of aluminum or wood bats was his option.

He said he added: PS You are the best president![:)]

Wisdom from the mouths of babes!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, obviously the US wouldn't be the one dishing out the punishment. It would be the Iraqis.

Anyway, a part of me really wants to see this vile loathsome demon be tortured just to make him suffer the same pain he inflicted on so many others. Then again, my morals take over and I can't see that being right. However, a hanging, shooting, or other "quick human" form of execution just doesn't seem like it is right either.

Perhaps a trial and then being thrown in a vat of acid as his form of execution would be a good end to him.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
compared to where hes going when he dies, any torture he gets here will be miniscule. [devil]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope that we hold him until the Iraqis are ready and re-instate the death penalty. Then, let him be tried In Iraq, BY Iraqis, and let the people he oppressed for the last 35 years decide his fate. Let us have NOTHING to do with his outcome except to hand him over to his own (pro-democracy) people.

I hope he isn't somehow handed over to those who are actually loyal followers that somehow break him free one night.

In the meantime though......wouldn't it be nice if he was 'interogated' once or twice by 'non' US interogators (Kuwatis, Israelis, Saudis - all of whom have legitimate gripes with the guy) who really know how to ask the tough questions and get answers?

I, personally, would like to see him have a date with that damned chipper that he and his litte bastard sons used to feed their fellow countrymen to. Of course, his fate would be decided like I said, by Iraqis. NOW THAT WOULD BE JUSTICE!

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
If Saddam was tried and convicted under Muslim law for murder, they would chop off his head in a public ceremoney.

Personally I would like to see put in prison for the rest of his life. Nothing beats the mental anguish like being humiliated in front of people whom he formerly oppressed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry
View Quote

Dude, excellent point.  I know how they could get it in him too....
View Quote

That's where I would put it, where they would never find it.  Just part of the physical.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree the trial and punishment should be handled by anybody but the US.

If the Iraqis are allowed to try him, Saddam will most likely find sympathetic members of the court/jury that will go easy on him come sentencing time. And what happens when he is convicted? Let's say he is sentenced to life in prison, the most likely scenario. At some point in the future he will be freed by supporters, or maybe even pardoned by the current Iraqi administration.

On the other hand, he may also get assassinated ala' Lee Harvey Oswald. (And yes, it was a conspiracy!)

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I vote that Saddam, upon conviction, meets his end by way of profuse rectal bleeding meted out by Jessica Lynch and her jammed M16.

On pay-per-view, of course.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Put in a cell, just like everyone punished by a decent people of a decent country.  Let him be forgotten, and not martyred.  Let him supplicate himself with appeals if he wants; it won't matter much.

Let him watch as his people have their chance to succeed in a liberal (in the correct sense, not the current leftist sense) society.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Park his ass on top of an oil well and crack the valve...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
wrap his cock and balls with wet rawhide and let it dry. We could re-enact scenes from  "Scarface " .
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't help but think that his punishment should somehow involve Michael Jackson....[:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m usually against the death penalty for moral reasons, even for murder (I know, I’m probably a minority here). However, this is one of the few cases where I wouldn’t really be bothered by it.

However, using torture as a punishment, IMHO, would bring us down to the level of certain unnamed cultures/religions that still practice it.

A trial by Iraqi’s seems to be the best idea, as they are the ones who have been victimized by him; plus, the verdict would probably be seen as more “legitimate” to the Iraqi people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top