Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 11:14:38 AM EDT
Recently acquired an Underwood M1 carbine w underwood barrel dated 12-43.  Everything looks great, no pitting etc.  Only thing, it has been blued.  Looks to be a professional job.  Wood on this gun is great.   Price paid 350.  Anyone know if this is fair price or am I in trouble?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Recently acquired an Underwood M1 carbine w underwood barrel dated 12-43.  Everything looks great, no pitting etc.  Only thing, it has been blued.  Looks to be a professional job.  Wood on this gun is great.   Price paid 350.  Anyone know if this is fair price or am I in trouble?
View Quote

The price reflects a mixmaster and refinished gun.  You might also report any import markings on the barrel.  There might also be Arsenal refurbishing marks on the stock.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
As a shooter? GREAT buy.

As a collectable? Check out the rest of the lot numbers if you can...but it once again looks like a great buy.

What kind of rear sight? What kind of spring assembly in the receiver? Does it have a bayonet lug? What kind of safety?

If they all check out to being a first-gen...blueing aside? FANTASTIC buy.

So long as it's not a re-import (stamped on the bottom of the barrel)..

And, quite honestly, even if it IS a re-import, at that price, THESE days...it's a good buy for a shooter carbine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
i'd say fair price if its in good condition.  theres a couple of good sites on the web - just type in M1 carbine and fish around - that'll tell you all the pieces parts one should have together.  ex., i have one with an inland receiver thats a rock-ola "strikeover", inland barrel.  you can find that kind of info pretty easy.  
almost all of them have been reworked at some point.  original finish is preferable from a collectors standpoint but it'll never go down in value anyways if its in good condition.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
you did fine, as long as it runs good...even then, they aren't expensive to fix...BTW, if it doesn't have the bayonet lug and does have the flip site, whoever refinished it reduced the value to about 25% of what it could be. Post some pics, I've been looking for a decent Underwood myself, since they were made right here in CT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I feel better now.  It does not have the import stamp from sky blue or others.  It doesnt have any arsenal rework marks either.   It has the new style rear sight, lever type safety and bayo lug.  It looks to be in great shape with no metal pitting.  The wood is very nice.  Dark brown with lighter striping accents.  I wanted a good plinker but didnt want to lose money if I ever tried to sell.  Thanks for the input.  Anything else I should look for?  I would post pics but not sure how to do that.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, I feel better now.  It does not have the import stamp from sky blue or others.  It doesnt have any arsenal rework marks either.   It has the new style rear sight, lever type safety and bayo lug.  It looks to be in great shape with no metal pitting.  The wood is very nice.  Dark brown with lighter striping accents.  I wanted a good plinker but didnt want to lose money if I ever tried to sell.  Thanks for the input.  Anything else I should look for?
View Quote

You got a rebuilt carbine. With a good bore (how goes the throat/muzzle wear gauge out at?)...you got one hell of a deal. Stock up on extractors if you plan to shoot it; M1 carbines chew through extractors like my dog does rawhide bones. (a new one every year or so)

EXCELLENT buy. Oh, what kind of bolt? Flat-topped, or totally round? (rebuilds generally have a round bolt; the original style flat-topped bolt was deemed to not be strong enough for full-auto fire, as on the M2 carbines.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
$350 for a shootable good looking M1 carbine would work just fine for me.

Shoot it, enjoy it...........

and be glad that it's not a prescious collectable that should only be kept underglass and admired from afar.  [puke]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
ok, sounds like a typical post ww2 rebuild, nothing wrong with that at all. I would get it reparked, that shouldn't cost too much and there are people who will even get you that nice olive green color.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont have a gauge to check throat erosion but bore and barrel appear to be shiny/new.  Bolt is flat type I guess.  It appears to be cut down to follow the profile of the receiver.  How do I post pics????
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You did fine.

If you would like, I have data books on the M1 Carbine that go back 30 years. Email the pics and I can tell you which part is from where and when or tell you what to look for on your carbine. There are a few excellent web sites if you wish to research it yourself although there is some information that is in error.

The best advice is don't worry about its pedigree. Just shoot it and have fun. The collectable thing will just make you nuts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Post some pics, I've been looking for a decent Underwood myself, since they were made right here in CT.
View Quote

I've got an old black one in the basement gathering dust.  Some of the keys are missing labels, but if you're a touch-typist that shouldn't matter.  Let me know if you're interested. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
For $350, if it works then its a great price. Enjoy it!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Ramjet or others,

After breaking the gun down, slide and trigger housing are marked with a -U- ,matching the barrel and receiver.  The hammer was stamped QU.  I would like to know what the QU manufactuer is.  Thanks for anyone with this info.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If it works good, I would buy it from you for that price. I want one. I sold mine in a weak moment a couple years ago forless than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top