Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2003 9:43:11 AM EDT
Hello all!
Just dropping you a line from the FT Jackson Ed Center. I got through Basic Training ok. It was hard at times. I got to see JUSTAGIRL on graduation day and Family day. She was able to get an ON POST hotel room so we hung out there mostly. ;) It was good to see her and get away from the Drill Sergents.

I did alot of things I didn't think I was capable of. I made a lot of friends that I will miss. I'm proud of what I have done.

Right now I'm in Security Hold Over. They got us in the OLD 40's Barracks at the top of TANK Hill. I heard they will tear down these buildings in FEB. I hope! There are about 91 Security Hold Overs, Most are 96B, Intel Analysts. We have 100 Chapters, people that can't hang as soldiers. We are out of room.

Exodus is dec 20 to jan 3. I'm going home!! I have to come back to Ft. Jackson though. I miss the internet, my cat, my guns, my wife, my car, my chair, ARFCOM, and sleeping in. Security Hold is better than basic, but we still aren't free.

Thanks to all the ARFCOMMERS who have supported me in this little adventure and inspired me to serve. Thanks for all the advice and answered questions. Take care of my Wife for me. See you all soon under my new name.

Stats:

Before:
1 mile :8 mins
2 mile :never ran
situps: 25
push ups: 29

after:
1 mile: 7:47
2 mile: 15:48
situps: 47
pushups: 45

PT test results. for those of you who care.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
[beer]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!! well now the fun begins AIT. just enjoy your exodus and try not to eat yourself into a comma and enjoy your holidays you deserved it.
   FREE
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What is security holdover? Is it where they send you when an interim clearance isnt granted and they are waiting for a full investigation regarding your EPSQ packet?  Or am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations!

I know how you feel.  I did basic in Ft. Jackson myelf in 1985.

You did well.

Enjoy your vacation.  The hard part  (physical) is over, now, it's time to learn.

Great job, thanks for letting us know!

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Drill Sergents.

View Quote

Congrats, but dont let them know you can't spell the title right. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice to see you around.  Also happy that you got to see your girl!  She's been pretty cool when she was on here.  Take care and sorry you can't cash in on Saddam!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Did Basic in those barrack in Dec-Feb '75.  Rumor was they were going to tear them down then!

Good luck to you - has it snowed this year yet?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
[beer]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi Baby!!!!!!! I love you & want you home!!!!  [sex]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats a pitiful PT score.  How old are you?  If you are in the 17-21 age bracket You should be doing:

42 pushups
52 situps
15:54

Thats just to pass.  Just passing dont cut it in any unit thats worth a dam. I hope you dont have any dreams of Airborne or Rip cause you need alot of work.  

You need to shoot for at least 60/70/14:30 to even have a hope of anything other than being a leg pastry chef in Coscom.    

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!!!  Depending on how things go, I may be attending Jackson sometime in the next year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats!

I also went to basic at Ft. Jackson in '85. Tank hill, it was called that because there was a water tank on it back then. A-1-1, It was a shit hole back then, I can't imagine its any better now. I would trade those days for anything. Keep up the good work

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Take care of my Wife for me.
View Quote

Oh I don't think we'll have any problem with that!!!

Congrats...but I must agree you need to work on those PT scores.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thats a pitiful PT score.  How old are you?  If you are in the 17-21 age bracket You should be doing:

42 pushups
52 situps

Thats just to pass.  Just passing dont cut it in any unit thats worth a dam. I hope you dont have any dreams of Airborne or Rip cause you need alot of work.  

You need to shoot for at least 60/70/14:30 to even have a hope of anything other than being a leg pastry chef in Coscom.    

View Quote

Who the fuck pissed in your coffee? Take a hike!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

42 pushups
52 situps

View Quote

BOOO,  [Howard Stern's father]Shut up, sit down[/Howard Stern's father]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
PSYWAR, Tell us about your PT scores.  How many one-handed tongue licks can you do? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
My Bad, I had a blonde moment and thought I was at SOCNET, where finishing Basic is nothing to crow about.  

But just for the record My grad PT test from OSUT was 68/74/1330.  

I dont take PT tests for a living anymore, but even with a 50% disability I could beat this kids score.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
PSYWAR:

Ignore these the Air Force pukes.  They have no concept of standards and pride.  Their instinct is to hold hands and sing.  Like in T-Ball, everyone has to be a winner.

PV2 Leeper:

Keep working on that PT.  The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.  Haji doesn't care how old you are or whether or not you are a pogue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

42 pushups
52 situps

View Quote

He's 26. He is so thin now!!!! It was shocking to see him at grad day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
First, [beer]Congrats to azcopwannabee[beer]

Second,
Quoted:
If you are in the 17-21 age bracket
View Quote

Quoted:
He's 26.
View Quote

Well, that pretty much shoots your comments to hell, now don't it?

Besides, not EVERYONE wants to go airborne or ranger or other spec-forces.  Those that do, great, best wishes.  But why trash those that don't?

Anyway, just wanna say thanks to everyone serving/has served/will serve.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
glad to hear you're doing good az! congrats on making it through! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First, [beer]Congrats to azcopwannabee[beer]

Second,
Quoted:
If you are in the 17-21 age bracket
View Quote

Quoted:
He's 26.
View Quote

Besides, not EVERYONE wants to go airborne or ranger or other spec-forces.  Those that do, great, best wishes.  But why trash those that don't?

View Quote

Some may interpret that as "trashing" - others as "focusing."

Y'know for a board full of people who claim to be so against modern PC softness and a "whats in it for me" attitude, there sure are a lot of posters here who have no concept of tough love and only want to join the military "If I can be a pilot, get YYY MOS, etc."

I am older than PV2 Leeper and could out PT him one handed while hung over - and I am suppose to be on profile right now.  He is at a point now where he can rest on his laurels or seize the opportunity to build on his current fitness levels and really move to a higher plateau.  The difference is as plain as between the guy in the unit that everyone wants to be and leads from the front, and the fat guy in the Armory who makes the Guard look bad.

Hadji don't care what his MOS is, and don't care how old he is.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Good for you, man. Congrats!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey, he's one of ours and he had the balls to go in. Cheers to him. Besides, mental preparedness is 99% of the fight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually not, the fact that he is older makes it all the worse.  The army has changed PT scoring, lowering the scale for younger folks and upping the scale for older ones.  Seems they think that everyone joins at 18 and will have many years of good PT under their belt from unit PT programs.  Poor guy is having to perform at PT like he has been in for a long time.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
PSYWAR and Adam_White, fess up, you guys are really Bowflex salesmen and your commissions are running a little low this month, yes? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats azcopwannabee, not enough people want to do what you have done, and even fewer will act on it.  

You are still not a Marine though.  (joke)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
congrats on begining.

it is 4 a.m. in SC... have you fallen in for PT yet?  Stay the fuck away from the broke dicks in the loony platoon while you are on hold over.  that shit is catching.

Just PT twice a day while you are flipping rocks and shit.  a 280 should be the minimum standard. So DROP numb nuts!!

hey, Ijust thought of something.  This is AR15.com.  WTF was your BRM score AZ?

p.s.  adam, psy, hop...  fellas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
congrats on begining.

it is 4 a.m. in SC... have you fallen in for PT yet?  Stay the fuck away from the broke dicks in the loony platoon while you are on hold over.  that shit is catching.

Just PT twice a day while you are flipping rocks and shit.  a 280 should be the minimum standard. So DROP numb nuts!!

hey, Ijust thought of something.  This is AR15.com.  WTF was your BRM score AZ?

p.s.  adam, psy, hop...  fellas.
View Quote

GOOD FOR YOU MAN!.....But how did you do on the range? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#31]
sorry....  

BRM = Basic Rifle Marksmanship.

so to translate that into non-army talk, "how'd ya shoot?"
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#32]
*smoking myself for not asking the same question*

erhh, yeah - and how'd ya shoot?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, I ran the 2 in a respectable time, usually around 14:00, pushups were no prob, but I couldnt do situps for crap. Didnt matter how much I worked out or tried. Turns out ( discover years later after the fact), my lower back just isnt made to bend like that, and nothing I could ever do would change that, so just being able to do enough to get by was amazing. I can assure you it wasnt for lack of pride or attempt on my part. Guess that still makes me an unmotivated prideless low end puke though since the bottom line is, all I could ever do was between 45-48 situps. I did however manage to be more than a pastry chef.

Congrats azcopwannabee, I too was at Jackson in 91. Fun place. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Good going...I was at Jax in 83...but I was in new Hollywood......we saw tank hill and laughed...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Congrats and good luck in AIT, but that is kind of a low PT score.  I'm sure it will continue to improve.

Don't forget to volunteer for Jump School!

Oh, my last APFT 127/101/11:31

My platoon usually stops at 82/82 in honor of the unit... and to be wise asses.

What did you qualify as?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Congratulations AZZCOPWannabe.  Do us proud.

As to the folks who feel the need to play drill sargeant with this kid.  Lay off him.  He knows the scores are on the low side and he knows what to do to improve them.

Biggest thing he needs to remember is to keep PTing during exodus so he doesn't go soft.  Nothing's worse than the first smoke session upon returning from leave. Those sargeants just know you have been eating and drinking all sorts of unhealthy stuff and if they smoke you hard enough they'll have you vomitting worse than the 1918 flu.   So whether in security hold or home on leave or in AIT, keep fit and strive for greater fitness, and for all that is holy, lay off the booze 24 hours before you have to report for duty again. You want that shit out of your system before you are vulnerable to push ups.

Congratulations.  And what was your BRM score?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations!!!!
And thank you for your service to our fine country!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I feel like a proud website member [:D] [beer]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

42 pushups
52 situps

View Quote

That's what I've gotta do for ROTC next spring...pushups and the running I can do....situps, that's another story
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Good luck Az, and congrats. For the ball busters, here's what I don't get: His time in the 2 mile is better than where you say it should be (he's at 15:48 you say he should be 15:54 Psywar), as is his push-up score (45 as opposed to the 42 you say he needs). He's a few low on the sit-ups, maybe he's working on it. Did he say anywhere he plans on resting on his laurels? If so, can someone show me?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#41]
They told us they were going to tear those down in Feb too.  Only thing I was there in '85:)  I guess they never said which Feb.

Congradulations on graduating.  It only gets worse I mean better fronm there.

2bowhunt
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good luck Az, and congrats. For the ball busters, here's what I don't get: His time in the 2 mile is better than where you say it should be (he's at 15:48 you say he should be 15:54 Psywar), as is his push-up score (45 as opposed to the 42 you say he needs). He's a few low on the sit-ups, maybe he's working on it. Did he say anywhere he plans on resting on his laurels? If so, can someone show me?
View Quote

Those are the absolute minimum standards - any less and he can get kicked out of the Army.  Do you start to understand why maybe we are being a bit hard on him?

I have seen too many soldiers barely squeek by basic then become non-hackers in their units when their is less constant control and focuse on physical fitness.  PSYWAR and myself are trying to get him into the right mindset - especially since when he goes back on guard status it will be very easy to return to his old fitness habits.

Maybe we are being "mean" in some of your eyes.  "Mean" in my eyes is making someone think "good enough" really is "good enough."

Have you forgotten there is a WAR on?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#43]
All I can say regarding the BRM is he got a medal & passed & got a longer phone call. BTW, you do less if you're older not less if you're younger. He is very fit and his job is Military Intellagence.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Male 22-26 stanards:
[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/arfitness/blm22-26.htm[/url]

Right now he is in the hardest age group.  The young studs aren't in the hardest group anymore...  he doesn't get a senior citizen discount until 27 years old.

Tell your man to get in shape!  He should have plenty of time at Huachuca.  As a 96Boo, he'll get a lot of S2 desk time.  

Not like he is in MI and aspiring to be an LLVI team member or anything studly like that. :D

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top