Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 7:42:34 AM EDT
Son wants a new VCR (he records a lot of TV )

DVD recorder/Tivo is NOT an option!!

I figure on getting a VCR/DVD combo.

He INSISTS that the vcr have "manual tracking"

I'm having trouble finding this in the
spec. descriptions online.

Can Somebody clarify this feature / point me to
a model with it ???
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I haven't seen one with manual tracking in a while, but a quick search brought this up
Panasonic PV-V4612 VHS VCR
and a review
http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/home.shop.att/;dcopt=ist;pos=banner1;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=06352371023967862?
try this search on yahoo
vcr with manual tracking
Basically when you put in a tape, sometimes you see wavy lines, or lines going through the picture. Most cheap vcr's today try to fix that automatically(auto tracking) The older and I guess Higher end vcr's allow you to do it on your own. It sort of makes the lines scroll off the screen.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know of any that have manual tracking.  An old Panasonic unit of mine from the mid 80s had it though.  

I would spend a few more bucks and get a true SuperVHS vcr (not the SuperVHS ET ones).  If he records things he wants to save like tv concerts and the like, if you record in SVHS, with a SVHS tape at the SP speed with a tv with the y/c connection, the picture is unbelievably clear as long as the incoming signal is.

SVHS units are not nearly as expensive as they used to be, but unfortunately, the tapes continue to be a bit costly, and he would probably mostly use standard VHS tapes, except for special occasions.

I use my Mitsubishi SVHS that I bought in 1991 everyday and have only had it in for maintenance one time!

Some SVHS tapes will not play on regular vcrs though.

BTW, I'm not sure if anyone makes a dvd/SVHS combo, but if there is, I would consider retiring my old vcr.

The DVD recorders with their different, sometimes incompatible formats, are luring me, but they are still really too expensive.

Hard drive recording will likely be the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top