Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 6:20:48 PM EDT
Well the the OU love-fest continued tonight.  White won the big trophy over Manning.  Not suprized that he was robbed just like is big brother.

The Heisman is an individual award.  White has the benefit of  apretty good surrounding cast.  Whn they play good he wins, when they don't well K-State happens.  During that game you got to see that as an individual player, he's nothing special.  

Put it this way, you could put most decent QB's in the OU offense and get the same results as you observed this season.

Ole ELi took a team with a very poor defense (most the year) and led them to vistory after victory.  HAd you taken Eli out of that team, I do not think they goto a bowl.

Thats the measure of a good player...not just how succesful is the team, but rather who is most impartant to the teams success.

Whats worse is that around half the Heisman ballots were cast prior to the unveiling of OU's ineptness against a quality opponent.

I have a feeling that LSU is going to tear Stoopes a new one, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Peyton Manning wasn't robbed---he didn't DESERVE the Heisman Trophy.  He has NEVER, EVER, EVER won a championship.  Tennessee won one with freaking Tee Martin at QB, but Manning couldn't win one.  And since he was drafted, the Colts have yet to win a single playoff game.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The trophy really doesnt mean anything.  Relatively few winners have become superstars.  Barry Sanders is one.  But Andre Ware?  Never became even a decent QB in the NFL. Desmond Howard was fast and good at returning kicks but couldnt run a good pass route to save his life. Look at all the good players in the NFL, not many have won any trophy in their college years.

Its become what team you play for and not what kind individual ability one posesses.  Its become a team award.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The announcers stated that half the ballots were returned before the KS game - That kind of clouds the waters, I believe.  

I would have liked to see Chris Perry get the nod.  I was impressed by him.  And I'm an OSU alum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Boomer Sooner
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I figure in a year, White'll be a car dealership pitchman just like his predecessor Heupel. In ten years, he'll follow the path set for him by his other OU alums, Jamelle Holieway and Billy Sims. The Heisman will wind up in a pawn shop and he'll be just another has-been who had his one in the sun. Meanwhile, Manning and others will be headed for the NFL Hall of Fame.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Man I could say so much here but I will keep it short. LSU is gonna kick some Okie ass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a UT alum, and lifetime ticket holder as well as donor.
View Quote

And this gives you the final say?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell yeah. Without me and my crew there would only be 106,000 screaming fans every 'home' Saturday.
View Quote

I'm sure the Vols' sun rises and sets on every obsessed fan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The OU QB had by far the best stats

40TD's & 8 int's

the award is for the best college player
not who will make the best pro

this kid had the best year
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
What are you talking about.  The only thing that saved Peyton's career was not winning the heisman.  The Heisman trophy is the kiss of death of quarterbacks.   Danny Aweful, Gino Tortallini (whatever), vinny Testeverde, Steve Spurrier Andre Ware, And that guy who played basketball in the NBA.  Hell I think the last one worth a damn was Roger Staubach.  
They just killed White's career.
Eli will be the first pick of the draft.  That is the real award for best college player.

As for not winning a championship.  White didn't win one either.  At least Tennessee won the SEC with manning.  

The award isn't for best stats, its for the best player.  
There are 10 quarterbacks who would have had the same numbers as white if they played for Oklahoma.
The Heisman has lost its meaning.  It is a team award.  How many average quarterbacks who played for Miami or Florida have won the award and done nothing as pros.  
Manning did the best with the least.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely.  White is going to make a mediocre NFL QB.  When he goes to a bad team with no support players, his true ability or average ability will come though.  I agree, any QB would have had similar numbers with that team.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the award circus on in the background. First WTF  a two hour show to present one award????????

Second you could tell just by the body language and expressions of Perry, Johnson, and Manning that they knew that hack from OU was going to get the award.

If Johnson is as good as so many people think he is then he will get a Heismann if he stays in school long enough.

Manning lost his chance when his team fell to LSU. A game winning drive would have been a huge boost(White should have lost his chance when KS crushed OU but I feared even then that too many ballots had already been cast)

Chris Perry didn't get a chance to perform in the Oregon game and that is probably what kept the trophy away from him.  He has amazing numbers for this year and can truely be marked as a of not the prime reason his team won their biggest games of the year (50+ carries against MSU, 150+ yds against the #1 run defense in the country OSU)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top