Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 5:46:40 PM EDT
OK, I've "seen the light" so to speak. I'm gonna get a Surefire light.

Thinking I'm looking primarily at home defense, which way should I go - handgun, M4gery, or shotgun???

Is there a light that can go on BOTH my M4gery AND a handgun??
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This light fits the rail under my M4gery and the rail on my Glock 23. This little sucker is friggin blinding.
[img]gggaz.com/images/Streamlight/M_3LIGHT.jpg[/img]
I believe wholesalehunter.com has these Insight Technologies M-3 tactical illuminators for $99.95-This light will momentarily stun a nocturnal home invader. Plenty of time for you to ID the sucker and administer appropriate action. Cheers!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with the handgun for Home defense.  That way you have a free hand to open doors, etc.  You also don't have the muzzle sticking out around corners.  

Some will say "never try to clear your house, stay put and train your rifle/shotgun on the bedroom door."  That's great if you KNOW someone is there, but what if you wake up and aren't sure what woke you up?  Do you hunker down 'till dawn, or go clear the house and go back to sleep?  Much easier to clear the house with a Glock 35 w/M3 atc illuminator than with a long arm.  And yes, GG&G sells a mount for the M3 that screws on to your AR handguard.  Works great.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally I think it is better to keep the flashlight in the other hand. Why tell the BG's exactly where your weapon is?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Shotgun.  (heresy around here, but too bad.)  Frankly if things go to shit and I need a long gun I don't want to take a chance on the Colt disappearing in to an evidence locker for years.  It stays in the safe as it isn't replaceable around these parts.  There's a suitable pistol in the bedstand, too.  In my neighborhood there's no good reason to use a rifle as a ready service resource and if I have to go to the safe the Garand comes out first.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you own/prefer the HK family of "railed" pistols, then GG&G can accomodate mounting the M3 on your pistol also. I also prefer to use my G23 w/M3 for home defense.
[img]gggaz.com/images/HK_USP.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
G-man, go with either the handgun or shotgun, [b]not[/b] the AR.

If you get a shotty, I recommend getting as compact a version as possible. AYMR, my recent purchase was a Mossberg 590A1 (18" bbl, 5+1 capacity, bead sights).
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you own/prefer the HK family of "railed" pistols, then GG&G can accomodate mounting the M3 on your pistol also. I also prefer to use my G23 w/M3 for home defense.
[url]gggaz.com/images/HK_USP.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Man, that is great. I was wondering when they were going to do that. The primary reason I use the G22 as my main nightstand gun is because of the M3. But if I can use the M3 on my USP45F, I'll switch over.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, get a Photon II micro light, red or orange.  Grasp it in your teeth, pressure pad up, light forward.  A gentle bite will give you navigation light that doesn't kill your night vision or give away your position unless they are looking right at you.  You can talk, even shout commands with it in, and can spit it out easily.  Leve the M3 for blinding or target ID.

As to a seperate light in the other hand, that leaves you with no free hand to open doors, dial cell phone, snatch up child to carry to safety, etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a folding or fixed Copstock on that shotgun.  Cuts recoil in half.  They are the shit.

Edit for spelling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top