Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 5:34:29 PM EDT
so....i'm pumping along and i get that familiar click of the nozzle shutting off because the 'ol girl was full. i pull the nozzle out to put it back onto the holder of the pump, and that's when i got my surprize. the hose backed out of the nozzle while still under full pump pressure. two o-rings got exposed, and man, did the gas fly. i had a full 360 arc of gas. splashing off my thighs, truck, ground, pump....everywhere. i got an attendant inside flagged right away,and he shut it down fast enough, but not before a few gallons went flying.  
it was raining, so no major scare. just never considered that that would happen.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Dang.  I bet that took a year off of your life.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Back before I joined the Corps, I worked at a gas station, and was talking to a guy while he filled up his CJ7. The hose latch was set, so he wasn't holding the hose.

While we were talking, the hose came out of the tank, and completley soaked me, from head to toe.

That sucked.

The funny thing was that it didn't cut off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a time period when jerks would put the nozzle back into the pump with the hold open on, a person would go to the pump turn it on and gas would spray everywhere, I think they have licked this with the new electronic pumps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Now a days, you have to call the hazerdous materials response team if something like that happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top