Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 11:41:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You got that from Band of Brothers I bet. Great series, I just bought if for a Christmas gift for my shooting buddie.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#4]
There's another good appraisal of Europeans in David Webster's book "Parachute Infantry".

He was also 506th P.I.R. and noted that the Dutch were his favorite people, because they were clean and industrious, "like Germans but without the viciousness" (I'm working from memory; forgive me if I got the quote wrong).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i think the japanese were also described as "Clean, hard working, disciplined, educated".

View Quote

[ROFL2]  My Grandfather who fought in the Pacific, wounded at Iwo Jima on the USS Pensacola, had a much different view, the only Japs he liked were dead ones(he hated them to the day he died)!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
would that be the same "Clean, hard working, disciplined, educated" germans that just slaughtered 6 or 7 million innocent human beings and waylayed the world into its' second world war?

i hear they have some good beer, too.

i think the japanese were also described as "Clean, hard working, disciplined, educated".

View Quote

Considering those opinions came from the men who fought them, I think they were entitled to think whatever they hell they wanted to about them.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[ROFL2]  My Grandfather who fought in the Pacific, wounded at Iwo Jima on the USS Pensacola, had a much different view, the only Japs he liked were dead ones(he hated them to the day he died)!!!!
View Quote

Mine too. He always said Japaness "honor" is total BS. They'd take any chance they got to do you in, honor be damned.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
My Dad was in the Pacific and didn't encounter civvies until the Occupation.  By then he was [u]not[/u] a huge fan of the Japanese.  Still isn't.

My Uncle was with Patton and fought all over the map.  He was in a recon element and got a halftrack shot out from under him after the relief of Bastogne when they were driving the Panzers back into Germany.

After hiding in a barn he was found by some Belgians who got medical help for him and notified the Army about him.

He loved Belgians.

In spite of being shot up by them, he had a lot of respect for regular German troops, despised Nazis, in or out of uniform and also found German civilians to be remakably, well, civilized.  

Believe it or not, to the day he died he wished we had let the German Army keep their weapons, fueled them up and taken them East with us against the Russians.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Campybob, ask any Vet who has fought against Germany what he thinks of the country and the people there, and then go ahead and ask anybody who has ever fought in the Pacific Theater, Korea, Vietnam, ... Somalia, Iraq if they have any fond memories of those places and people. Don't hear much about Somali war-brides, or of any need for a non-fraternization order in Iraq, do you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate to harp but, STOP reading those boring Ambrose books that are so "ANGLO-CENTRIC" heres a history fact- 80% of the fighting in europe was done in russia and east europe, not France! Wanna know about the real "meat & potatos" of WWII? read a book about the Eastern front from either the russian or german perspective. It willexplain a lot about the cold war as well. For example ya know why Russia dropped an "iron curtain"? and were so paranoid? because in a span of 40 years 1905-45 Russia was invaded 4 times plus 1 civil war! Anyhew, The stories of the russian front are incredible!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hate to harp but, STOP reading those boring Ambrose books that are so "ANGLO-CENTRIC"
View Quote

I think I would rather stop reading your posts...his books are much better written and factual than your posts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
My dad was in an 8th AF B-24 bomber crew.  When his group deployed to England, he said they flew from the US down to Brazil, then across to North Africa then to England.  He said that the Arabs were the dirtiest, scroungiest, nastiest pigs he had ever had the displeasure of meeting.  He told me about the time he and some of his buddies were riding in the back of a truck and as they passed an Arab on the road the guy lifted up his long Arab "dress" and took a dump right along the side of the road.  Pops had never seen anything like that before in his life.  He did not have a lot of respect for those people.

He most definitely liked the Brits and especially the Scots.  He mentioned a certain pretty red-haired Scot girl once...but only out of earshot of my mother.  I never brought it up again.

He also told me about meeting some German POWs while on the boat home from England after his 30 missions.  As luck would have it, one of them was from Hamm...one of his targets in 1944.  Small world.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
t-stox:

Nice threadjack. Notice that the topic was what the AMERICAN troops thought about various people they encountered in Europe. Ambrose wrote about the Western Front, because that is where OUR troops fought. He left the Eastern Front to other historians.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate to harp but, STOP reading those boring Ambrose books that are so "ANGLO-CENTRIC" heres a history fact- 80% of the fighting in europe was done in russia and east europe, not France! Wanna know about the real "meat & potatos" of WWII? read a book about the Eastern front from either the russian or german perspective. It willexplain a lot about the cold war as well. For example ya know why Russia dropped an "iron curtain"? and were so paranoid? because in a span of 40 years 1905-45 Russia was invaded 4 times plus 1 civil war! Anyhew, The stories of the russian front are incredible!
View Quote

From a strictly historical point of view you are correct.  Statistically, the fight on the Easter Front was far larger that than the war in the West and the size and scope of the fighting between the Germans and Soviets was simply staggering.  At its height there were probably 5 million troops engaged in the east at any one time.  That is NOT to say the fighting on the Western Front, from Normandy to the Elbe near Torgau was any easier for the Allies than it was for Ivan.  It wasn't and your premise that 80% of the fighting took place on the Eastern Front is fatally flawed.  There is simply NO way for you to back up such a claim with empirical data.  You are pulling that number out of your ass.  I do agree, part of the reason the Sovs dropped the "Iron Curtain" was their paranoia about the Judeo-Christian capitalists from the west that had invaded their country before.  That is NOT the only reason...but certainly a factor.  In retrospect, it's a damn shame that Presidents Wilson, Harding and Coolidge didn't send more troops to help the Whites fight those Commie Bastards and drive those Borscht eaters into the sea!  (I know...just dreaming [;D])

That said, fact remains, our guys felt pretty close to the Dutch and Germans.  They did NOT like the French and Arabs.  Not much has changed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a great uncle in the 101st.  He did not have anything bad to say about the Germans, but he sure hated the US Army.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Approximately 25% of all Americans can trace their heritage to Germany!

The only other nationality that beats Germans is British, at about 31%.

Eric The(German/Anglo-Saxon)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Traced my lineage to Cambourne, County Cornwall, UK. Come to find out I'm only the third generation to be born in the US. Shocked the hell out of me, cause the whole time I was thinking I was Irish![shock][headbang][fart]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, reading through some of the letters dad sent home from Germany after the war, you'd get the image that the Germans (at least in the rural areas) were instead of simple, hardworking farmers, were the plantation owners of the south, just disposessed of their slaves!

In one letter he relates a German farmer asking how will harvest the fields, and being told that he and his family need to work the family farm...

Of course, the Polish former slaves were quite quick to exact some retribution by beating some of the farmers, and such.

Dad did relate many times, though that most of the Germans tried to impress us (the US and Brits) that we should continue to the east.

Being of 100% German descent (and even though my family has been here for over 150 years) I am quite disappointed in the 'Old Country' for it's positions over the last century or so.

Ah (or should I say 'Ach'), now if I could only stop missing dad so much...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#23]
A close friend of mine had a father who fought in WW2. He hated the Germans. Awhile back, I considered getting a BMW 3 series. The man almost had a heart attack. Ripped on me so badly that I bought a Ford instead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top