Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 10:41:23 PM EDT

Stolen from another board.

T'was the night before Christmas and all through the town, ambulances sat quietly -- call volumes were down.

Dispatchers and medics, without any calls, all settled down cozy, within station walls.

The city was silent as this night grew deep. My partner and I settled in for some sleep.

But no sooner dreaming in our beds were we, when dispatch awoke us, with "Handle Code 3!"

The call had come in for an MVA. Some nutcase was claiming he'd hit Santa's sleigh!

"Head trauma," we thought, as we gathered our gear, "Perhaps a drunk driver -- its that time of year."

As we raced to the scene with our sirens and lights, we hoped for the best, tonight of all nights.

We had no idea. It was such a surprise! And, on our arrival, with both rubbed our eyes.

I said to my partner, "This must be a trick! That man in the ditch just can't be Saint Nick!"

A smashed-up red sleigh! Toys thrown far and near! And off to the side, some banged-up reindeer!

The guy driving the car had a bump on his head and he cried and he told us he wished he was dead.

"Oh, why did I have that one extra beer? I've gone and killed Santa -- no Christmas this year!"

By now we'd decided that this was too strange, so we tried to call backup, but were way out of range.

"No radio contact!" to my partner I said, "I'll check out that one while you dress this one's head!"

The man in the ditch I approached with great care. He was dressed so darned oddly, he gave me a scare.

He wore a red suit and a strange kind of hat, and I thought to myself, "Who dresses like that?"

Then he opened his eyes and said, "Don't you fear, just please help me up -- I must catch my reindeer."

I said, "The reindeer are fine, but stay where you are. You've taken a pretty hard hit from that car."

I didn't leave him, but let out a holler: "We're going to need backboard, head blocks and collar!"

As we began, he cried "Don't strap me down! I have toys to deliver, all over town!"

"All of the children are depending on me, to deliver their presents under the tree."

"I'm sorry," I said, as I shook my head sadly. "We're off to ER-you've been hurt too badly."

He looked up at me and wiped off a tear. And told me, "Then YOU must bring presents this year!"

"Visit every child's home in this town?" says I. "Sir, you must think I can make an ambulance fly!"

I then thought I'd made a serious blunder. For his eyes grew steely, and his voice was like thunder.

"Now, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen! Come, Comet! Come, Cupid! Come Donner and Blitzen!"

"Hitch onto that truck and take to the sky! For this night, we WILL see an ambulance fly!

I just shook my head as we loaded him in. Then climbed in the cab and I just had to grin.

There were the reindeer, all in a row, in front of the truck, as if ready to go.

"That's cute." I thought. "I'll just go around." But then they took off and our wheels left the ground!

Off we did go, up over the trees, sailing along as light as a breeze. We touched down on rooftops, delivering toys. Dropping off gifts, for good girls and boys.

We stopped briefly in the hospital's ambulance bay, and wheeled him to ER -- and told him to stay.

"Our report we'll make later," we said on our way, "This man's turned our ambulance into a sleigh!"

Then off we flew, working long through the night. Delivering toys til the dawn's early light.

Finally, at our station, we headed on down, both of us happy to be on the ground.

Dispatch was mad, and the more we explained, the less they believed and the more they looked pained.

So we sat in our quarters -- Boy, we were in trouble! Then we turned on the news and perked-up on the double.

As TV crews interviewed people in town, it seemed that some very strange things had gone down.

There were tire tracks found on a rooftop or two, and children said, "This year, Old St. Nick wore blue!"

I grinned at my partner and said, "Its no mystery! This Christmas will go down in EMS history!"

Later, Santa exclaimed as he rode out of sight "When you see an ambulance, remember, MOVE RIGHT!"

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I've driven the ambulence like that, on roof tops, up trees and such. Sounds about right. It's legal with the siren on. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay safe out there this year brothers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top