Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 5:25:08 PM EDT
I am thinking about a HP pavilion, any comments pro or con would be appreciated. The 7000 model
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, when I worked at HP's research and development, their engineers were running IBM and Toshiba laptops.

And I recommend IBM T series and Toshiba Tecra series laptops.

JMHO

dave
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Loe my Sony
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How much are you looking to spend?  The IBM Thinkpad T40 and T41 series are very, very nice.  Very light, long battery life (up to 7 hours) and fast.  Expect to spend $2000-3000 though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, no experience with the HP. Driving a Toshiba Satellite here. 1.6 ghz, 512 mb ram, dvd/cr-r, blah, blah, blah. Doubles as my HTPC and I run it through an X1. Nice that I can turn off the monitor while playing movies. No problems in over a year and I work it pretty hard. I'm sure the HP is no better or worse than this or any other off the shelf laptop. I give mine two thumbs up [APPROVE]
PS might wanna check out the Winbooks though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Have been unhappy with HP desktops, so would not buy their laptops. (might be illogical and unfair)

HP Printers are good though

Dell seems to make a very good product.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much are you looking to spend?  The IBM Thinkpad T40 and T41 series are very, very nice.  Very light, long battery life (up to 7 hours) and fast.  Expect to spend $2000-3000 though.
View Quote

No way--------do they really have a 7 hour battery life ---wow---??????????? Money is no object .
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Dell.  Dell, Sonny, and HP are by far the best- everybody I know who has one is generally fine with 'em.  Whatever you do, do NOT get a Compaq.  Also, gateways tend to fall apart after a while... this year's gateway is better, but i know last years was having some problems with the screens.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a dell Inspiron 8500 about two months ago.  Love it.  Haven't had a single hiccup.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
and HP are by far
View Quote

That is what PC mag said------ and I belive it
a 8.6 rating out of 10------- it is HP for me --------------- thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just bought a dell Inspiron 8500 about two months ago.  Love it.  Haven't had a single hiccup.
View Quote

I have Dell's and they are good, but they seem intent on passing off old computer chips/hard drives/ programs/ to make way for the new stuff--------- be computer savy if you buy a DELL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't believe everything you read in a magazine.

Believe how the company stands behind their product.

Dell Latitude = 3 year warranty

IBM T series = 3 year warranty

Toshiba Tecra = 3 year warranty

HP laptops = 1 year warranty

Toshiba Satellite = 1 year warranty

Dell Insperion = 1 year warranty

Sony = 1 year warranty

IBM i series = 1 year warranty

This is the standard warranty, not the extended you can purchase for extra money.

You have commercial grade and retail grade machines. Don't waste your money on retail grade machines.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't believe everything you read in a magazine.

Believe how the company stands behind their product.

Dell Latitude = 3 year warranty

IBM T series = 3 year warranty

Toshiba Tecra = 3 year warranty

HP laptops = 1 year warranty

Toshiba Satellite = 1 year warranty

Dell Insperion = 1 year warranty

Sony = 1 year warranty

IBM i series = 1 year warranty

This is the standard warranty, not the extended you can purchase for extra money.

You have commercial grade and retail grade machines. Don't waste your money on retail grade machines.
View Quote

Thanks Dave------------------- good info
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the HP Pavilion zd 7000 I like it allot. No problems. fast, great graphics, love the wide screen and the speakers a very good. This is my third and best laptop.
Kev
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And I recommend IBM T series and Toshiba Tecra series laptops.

JMHO

dave
View Quote

In that order!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I would definitely recommend Thinkpads.  I bought two T23's (PIII 1.x Ghz) (about a year apart) and they're great.

I'm an American working in Kosova and the power stability here is horrible.  Lots of people have lost their laptop power supplies but mine have hung in there.  

Also, service (though not necessarily support) is great.  My first t23 quit working right so I drove it to the neartest service center (Skpoje, Macedonia, aobut an hour and a half away) and they replaced the whole motherboard for free.

Definitely recommend thinkpads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought this Dell Inspiron 8000 in January 2000. Have not had one problem with it until a couple weeks ago. There is less than one month to go on the extended warranty that I purchased. Well seems the motherboard has some type of problem. They sent a technician to my home two days after I called tech support and he installed a brand new mother board. Dell is a great company in my book.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never been impressed with any of HP's computers.  I too would recommned the IBM because I used one for many years.  It was one of the first to come out with the large 15" active color displays back in the early to mid 90's.  I also liked the mouse post.  It was really high quality.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Thinkpad. (writing this on my old one at the moment)

Most other brands feel like cheezy junk in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#19]
i work for IBM and am certified on dell, gateway, compaq, hp, and most of the rest.

In the laptop game the best i have seen is IBM hands down.

Dell has major problems with broken keyboards and many have system board failures within the first year. VERY flimsy cases with little support. Also we have had MAJOR problems with dell shipping repair parts in a timely manner as well as getting the right parts for repair.

Gateway... pretty much same as dell

hp & compaq horrible support although i have found the higher end hp's are ok but for the same money you can get a better machine.

IBM... VERY well designed. Fairly tough and excellent warranty. depot return for service is usually less than 3-4 days turn around. this beats dells on site service average repair time. IBM does tend to have a cheap keyboard

I know working for IBM may have me a little biased but in the PC market our laptops are they only thing i reccommend to people.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Get the best extended warranty on any laptop you go with. Check for a damage clause in the warranty. Almost all standard warranties only cover hardware failure not damage an lcd panel can run as high as 2 grand for repair.

mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The_Beer_Slayer: I agree with all your points. I'm CURENTLY using an old Pentium I IBM 760ED, that is at least 7-8 years old. It works like a champ. I used work is with this guy who is a PC lap top tech, and he says the hard drives have have high mortality rate in lap tops because they are bounced around so much, they may have improved on mobile hard drive tech since this info is like 3-4 years old.

Yep, if you break the screen, you might as well toss the lap top, because something like 2/3s the cost of them are in the display screen.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Very good info by all, thanks for your info.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
don't buy hp.  check their forums for all the problems they have, and shitty service.

p.s.  they also ripped me off for $100 by not paying my rebate.  I will be filing with the FTC soon.

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top