Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 4:25:10 PM EDT
Is anyone else tired of seeing the typical bumbling idiot male on commercials?

Specifically this new Dodge Durango commercial.  They make the woman so sensible sounding cutting flowers with her girlfriend.  Then they pan over ot the husband and he by the barbeque grill and friggin lights himself on fire.

I have seen several other commercials like this and it is starting to piss me off.  I mean,  why not make the female look like an idiot once in a while???  I am tired of the man being a big, happy, bumbling idiot and the wife being the one with the sense.

Is anyone else with me on this or am I just being nit picky here?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't agree more, they also make the dads totally inept at taking care of there kids. I mean come on, not every one is like that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You see, in order to persuade the women, the advertisers need to make the women feel superior and smart.

The only way they can do that is by severely dumbing down the men.

[peep]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I couldn't agree more, they also make the dads totally inept at taking care of there kids. I mean come on, not every one is like that.
View Quote

YES YES.....

I was trying to remember that commercial where the mom is sick and the dad dresses the kids in shorts and tanks tops.  They pan out and they show the kids walking down the street in the friggin snow with thier shorts and tank tops.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]

I mean really.  Who else can they pick on without a bunch of hippie whack jobs protesting and boycotting?  Make fun of women or any specific ethnic group, especially a minority group, they would sue you out of existence.

So they make fun of men.  It's not like the National Organization of Men or the National Association for the Advancement of Male People will sue them.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I hate that commercial too.  I wish they'd show her parallel parking 3 feet from the curb or something.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It wouldn't bother me so much if the women took it lightly too, but the past two years my mother and sisters seem to look for chances to make light of any foible in my conduct. Dumb wenches, they hew down the tree of protection.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, I hate that commercial too.  I wish they'd show her parallel parking 3 feet from the curb or something.
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You see, in order to persuade the women, the advertisers need to make the women feel superior and smart.

View Quote

A sad commentary on the state of the modern "empowered" woman.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
you aint shitting
the smartest man on tv is hank hill- a cartoon character for christsakes!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Not only men, but white men. Yes I went there. They are the only people that are still fair game anymore. Try any of those commercials with a female(insert race here), and we have a class action law suit. It gets old fast.

Oh, and Luvgunner, why is my dog sitting here crying at me. She's been on two long walks today, one with the laser pointer that she chases around like a maniac, and one to play fetch. I took her on the second walk after she sat there and cried at me for several minutes. Now she's getting utterly pathetic. We just played tug of war and she's all fired up. Am I just getting played? I took her out to potty a minute ago and she didn't go. She's had dinner. Now I'm getting the paw on the lap, puppy dog eyes with wimpering. What gives?
Sorry to hijack.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not just the ads, lads. It's also every TV show, and most movies.

Can anyone name one show with a normal white male figure, depicted in a way that is not a ridiculous caricature. Didn't think so.

It's all part of the feminization of our society, and it's not by accident.

Also, did you ever notice that most shows depict the males as sorry looking schmucks, while the females are mostly hot. (That is one part where I wouldn't mind life imitating art)

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]tired of mainstream advertisers making men look like idiots[/b]

No, I love it! It's a riot! [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Gee, as more and more women become empowered to make the decisions as to what advertising is made, accepted, and aired, expect to see more of it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Not only men, but white men. Yes I went there. They are the only people that are still fair game anymore. Try any of those commercials with a female(insert race here), and we have a class action law suit. It gets old fast.
View Quote

Yes,  now that you mention it, it is always a big bumbling dumb white guy.  The black guys in commercials seem to be very intellectual for the most part.  This is a sad state isn't it?

Oh, and Luvgunner, why is my dog sitting here crying at me. She's been on two long walks today, one with the laser pointer that she chases around like a maniac, and one to play fetch. I took her on the second walk after she sat there and cried at me for several minutes. Now she's getting utterly pathetic. We just played tug of war and she's all fired up. Am I just getting played? I took her out to potty a minute ago and she didn't go. She's had dinner. Now I'm getting the paw on the lap, puppy dog eyes with wimpering. What gives?
View Quote

Ok,  if you really want advice here,  don't take her for walks when she gives you the puppy dog eyes,  take her for walks when she does something that pleases YOU,  not the other way around.  It could be something as simple as a long down stay or a nice sit on command, then immeadiately get the leash and go for a walk.  Always make her earn those walks since she loves them so much.  You have won half the battle now that you know what she loves,  use it to train her a little here and there.  And then,  the most important part,  make the reward fun for her,  let her be a dog all the way.

By the way,  when your dog looks into your eyes for a sustained period of time,  it means she loves you and looks to you for direction.  No bs here man,  you will notice some dogs never look at their master's eyes.  If your dog is staring into your eyes,  that is a good thing. (obviously not in a threatening way, duh)

Sounds like your dog thinks the world of you man,  it really does.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the good advice my friend. I don't know very much about dogs. Growing up on the farm in Iowa they all lived outside. [beer]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

[peep]
View Quote

I may not go that far, but the advertisers are advertising to women and teenagers, NOT 30-60 year old men who make all the friggin money the people being advertised to are spending.

So go back to work on Monday, make more money to give to your wife and kids, and then let the idiot box tell them how to spend it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have noticed the same thing , its almost as if the media are trying to portray men as idiots and fools and only women have common sense .

I'm sick and tired of all the male bashing
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gee, as more and more women become empowered to make the decisions as to what advertising is made, accepted, and aired, expect to see more of it.
View Quote

Ok,  let's not kid ourselves here,  the real smart woman out there know their limitations and they know damn well,  men and women are totally different animals.  

They know that real men are NOT big bumbling fools that the commercials and tv portray.  The people that are pushing this garbage are feminazis and man haters.  

Understand now???
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The media makes STRAIGHT guys look like idiots.  Male [i]alternative lifestylists[/i] are held up as the perfect guy (that damn Bravo show comes to mind).
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
How can you tell when a woman is about to say something that makes sense?

She begins her sentence with, "A man once told me....."
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm with you, buddy.
And there's another type of commercial that pisses me off too. The one's where it shows a woman breaking up with a guy and it's shown as some kind of celebration. Or the women sitting around laughing as they imagine different disasters happening to a guy who cheated on one of them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
How about the commercial where the woman with the voodoo doll stabs the guy who is acting all sleazy at a club trying to pick up other women. They portray that guy as an overweight boob, and her as a sexy model type. It's flat out pandering to women that just broke up with a guy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#23]
It's simple folks, they advertise to sell product.
Stop supporting them, and insist that the smarter better half also stop bringing the product into the house. You may not realize it but it is half your house too.
You do have some say in this if it really get's to you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quit yer bitchin'!

If they start taking out that stereotype, what do you think is next?
I'll tell ya:
Bikini babes and "average joes"!
Lingerie chicks in a catfight!

Quit fucking with success.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#25]
It's all about advertising and identifying with a target group.  When it comes to my married friends, the woman is the one who writes the checks and buys the groceries, so it's easy to see why most ads take on a woman's perspective.  I'm sure the stay at home wife imagines her husband sitting on his ass all day at work while she mops and cleans all day.  On the flip sode, the guy imagines the wife sitting on the couch watvhing soap operas while he's working his ass off all day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you aint shitting
View Quote

Even he's not to bright, his balls are small and his friends are dumber than owl shit.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#27]
The worst part about all this is younger men are starting to believe they need to be stupid, rude, crude, shiftless, irresponsible airheads, because that's what they are told they are anyway--might as well live up to the reputation.  They also are only interested in sex (well, okay, they got that part right), refuse to stand up to anyone or anything, and need someone else non-male (either female or homosexual) to tell them what's "right."

Mrs Limaxray and I noticed this in school, when the teachers try to make little boys into little girls, refusing to call on them, etc.  ([url=http://www.probe.org/docs/fem-schools.html]article on the feminization of boys in school[/url]). Bottom line, there's a cultural war on trying to eradicate men--not guys, but men in the old-fashioned, John Wayne/US Marine/Eric the Viking sense--God-fearing, purpose-driven, decisive, dominating, competitive, knows right from wrong, understands that there is women's work and men's work, protective, etc.  Basically, all the traits that the Founding Fathers had.

Well, I'm doing my part--there's two young males in my household who I am determined to turn into Men, not eunuchs.  Or die trying!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Take it another step.  Have you ever seen a commercial or show where there is a contest between a man and a woman in which the man actually wins?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#30]
On a slightly different note, how about the diamond commercials.

The stands in the plaza yelling "I love this woman".  She is all embarrased until he gives her a diamond, and then the whispers "I love this man" instead of shouting it.  

To me, this shows how mercenary women are and that they can all be bought, if the price is right.  Women don't know love, they only know they like the size of your.........wait for it.........bank account.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#31]
American Truck adverisements! I knew their had to be one.  Spend all your discretionary funds on big, brawny, expensive, trucks - maybe that'll wake their butts up!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
you aint shitting
View Quote

Come on now!  We all know the smartest, baddest-assed man on TV is Jack Bauer!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#33]
In many sitcoms today, the women and fags are smart and witty, while the men are total dumbasses.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The worst part about all this is younger men are starting to believe they need to be stupid, rude, crude, shiftless, irresponsible airheads, because that's what they are told they are anyway--might as well live up to the reputation.  They also are only interested in sex (well, okay, they got that part right), refuse to stand up to anyone or anything, and need someone else non-male (either female or homosexual) to tell them what's "right."

Mrs Limaxray and I noticed this in school, when the teachers try to make little boys into little girls, refusing to call on them, etc.  ([url=http://www.probe.org/docs/fem-schools.html]article on the feminization of boys in school[/url]). Bottom line, there's a cultural war on trying to eradicate men--not guys, but men in the old-fashioned, John Wayne/US Marine/Eric the Viking sense--God-fearing, purpose-driven, decisive, dominating, competitive, knows right from wrong, understands that there is women's work and men's work, protective, etc.  Basically, all the traits that the Founding Fathers had.

Well, I'm doing my part--there's two young males in my household who I am determined to turn into Men, not eunuchs.  Or die trying!  
View Quote

Hell ya!  Very well said.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you aint shitting
View Quote

Even he's not to bright, his balls are small and his friends are dumber than owl shit.

View Quote

Actually, he's got a "narrow urethra". [;)]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Ya this pisses me off.  For some reason, the dads in commercials do nothing but sit and watch TV or read the paper.  He doesn't have a clue how to take care of himself, the kids, or his wife, or cook anything, or fix the car, or buy anything, etc.  Also, even the kids are smarter than he is.  And women are so dumb, they think what they see on TV is reality so after seeing crap like this they think "wow, women RULE!" (I mean, how many chicks do know who think GI Jane was realistic? Probably lots)
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, but that's the way it is now days!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On a slightly different note, how about the diamond commercials.

The stands in the plaza yelling "I love this woman".  She is all embarrased until he gives her a diamond, and then the whispers "I love this man" instead of shouting it.  

To me, this shows how mercenary women are and that they can all be bought, if the price is right.  Women don't know love, they only know they like the size of your.........wait for it.........bank account.
View Quote

LG couldn't agree more.  I hate the  commercail.  That poor schlep, he'd best hope he's never laid off.  That gold digger would be looking for the next well to do fella in the grocery store to latch onto.

It is funny that it shows the true colors, despite that not being the designed purpose.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#40]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know...I kinda like the Bacardi and Cola commercials. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top