Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 10:52:51 AM EDT

Caravan Joins in Search for Missing College Student
By DAVE KOLPACK, AP

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (Dec. 12) -- A caravan of trucks left at first light Friday to join the search for a 22-year-old college student who disappeared three weeks ago from the North Dakota mall where she worked.

Getty Images
A flyer for Dru Sjodin is taped to the entrance of the Columbia Mall.  

About 80 sheriff's deputies, State Patrol officers and members of the National Guard from North Dakota and Minnesota took to Humvees and four-wheel-drives to search near Buxton, about 20 miles south of Grand Forks. A similar group headed north.

They were to break into teams to search abandoned buildings, roadways and ditches. One team was to search the Red River near Thompson, 10 miles south of Grand Forks, by lowering cameras though holes drilled in the ice.

The missing woman, Dru Sjodin, was last heard from on Nov. 22 as she spoke to her boyfriend by cell phone from the Columbia Mall parking lot in Grand Forks.

Watch Video  

Outcome Looks Bleak

Broadband Only
Student Feared Dead
A Break in the Case?

Prosecutors have charged Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 50, a convicted rapist who was just released from prison earlier this year, with kidnapping. He has said he is innocent, and remains jailed in Grand Forks on $5 million bond.

Grand Forks Sheriff Dan Hill said Sjodin is probably dead, but her boyfriend, Chris Lang, said Friday that the family still has hope.

''She's not here yet, so we keep pressing on, and have strong faith that she's out there, so we will find her,'' he said on NBC's ''Today'' show.

Talk About It  

· Chat | Post a Message  

Rodriguez has not provided any new information to assist the search.

A search warrant unsealed in Crookston, Minn., where Rodriguez was arrested last week, showed about a three-hour gap between the time Sjodin disappeared and the time Rodriguez appeared at his home.

Authorities have cast doubt earlier on Rodriguez's account of his whereabouts at the time of Sjodin's disappearance. Rodriguez told them he was watching a movie, ''Once Upon a Time in Mexico,'' at a theater near the mall. He told authorities the movie began between 4:30 and 4:40 p.m. and let out about between 7 and 7:30 p.m. Rodriguez said he stopped to eat at a McDonald's in East Grand Forks, Minn., on his way home to Crookston, about 25 minutes away.

Authorities say the movie wasn't playing anywhere near the mall that day. The officer who applied for the search warrant said Rodriguez, when confronted, ''did not have an explanation.''

The Dec. 2 search warrant showed Rodriguez cooperated with an initial search of his car Nov. 26 but refused a second search and asked for a lawyer. Nine hours later, police raided his house searching for evidence.

The court papers released Thursday also included evidence receipts itemizing several things taken from Rodriguez's house. Among them were receipts from stores near the Columbia Mall time-stamped early the afternoon of Nov. 22; Dolores Rodriguez told police her son had shopped at those stores. Investigators also took swabs of ''apparent blood'' from the garage floor, and three latex gloves from his car trunk.

The area around Grand Forks has had several inches of snow since Sjodin, from Pequot Lakes, Minn., disappeared.

The National Guard was called in to help with the search when temperatures that fell to minus 10 degrees made it dangerous for volunteers. ''Cold weather does make the job harder,'' said Rob Keller, spokesman for the North Dakota Guard.

12-12-03 1210 EST  

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Dru is gone.

The policy that let that POS out of jail needs to be scrapped.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dru is gone.

View Quote

Sadly, my friend, I agree. She is gone, and it is a shame.

It is painfully obvious that Mr. Rodriguez(read piece of shit) had abducted her and did the unthinkable. He should be put in prison for all eternity, or be hanged(too bad we don't do this anymore).

Regardless, like said this law that let him out of prison needs to be abolished. No more criminals should be let out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dru is gone.

View Quote

Sadly, my friend, I agree. She is gone, and it is a shame.
View Quote

lets torture him
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd prefer horse drawn & quartered.  We used to do that in colonial times.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I think we should torture him. I really do. I'm all for deep frying his hand and feet.

That would be unbelieveable painful.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think we should torture him. I really do. I'm all for deep frying his hand and feet.

View Quote

just to get some info, the pain he would get would be nothing compared to what the family has.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
maybe this would be in more appropriate...

***Warning  This is rough ***

purposely left link cold

http://www.khalistan.net/burnt.jpg
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regardless, like said this law that let him out of prison needs to be abolished. No more criminals should be let out.
View Quote

Same with that psycho in IL who killed the three teenage boys. He was let out after killing a teenage boy before. An eye for an eye.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Same with that psycho in IL who killed the three teenage boys. He was let out after killing a teenage boy before. An eye for an eye.
View Quote

Crimes of the kind these men were convicted of should be eligable for the death penalty. That is the only way to prevent this kind of recidivism.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I just don't understand why they are having such a time finding her. After all, they have the one person who knows where she's at.   [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they should just lock this bastard in a room with Dru's dad. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find out where she is.

The reason they're having trouble finding her is that when she was kidnapped there was no snow on the ground and the rivers were open. Since then the rivers have frozen over and there is several inches of snow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
One concern is how much the politicians have raised the bar here. She is almost certainly dead. How much money are we willing to spend to find a body ASAP? 1 million? 2? 100 mil? Do you think were going to turn out the NG everytime someone turns up missing now? Might sound tough but she is dead and emptying the state's coffers ain't gonna bring her back.

I also don't understand why we let these scum walk amongst us. Never let them out. Ever.
Too bad the other prisoners didn't take care of business.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Who is looking for the approximately [red][b]2,000[/b][/red] children a [b]day[/b] that go missing?

What about the rest of the [red][b]40,000[/b][/red] adults per year that disappear?

I feel bad for this girl and would like to get my hands on that pos but I don't understand why this case is front page news when a good [red][b]750,000[/b][/red] people go missing a year in this country.

Guess its just like Jessica Lynch. All American blond white girl = top story. Don't worry about everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is the perfect death for these scum!!!

[b]Breaking on the Wheel[/b]
The combination of pain and the longevity of this sentence will be the most severe that you can endure. It begins with a wheel and its iron rim. You will be tied to stakes, naked and spread out upon the ground, where triangular blocks of wood will be placed beneath each of your joints. One by one, we will smash them to splinters with the rim of the wheel, from your wrist to elbow, shoulder to hip, knee to ankle, and then the bones between. This will be done with caution, so as not to accidentally inflict a fatal blow and release you from your penance. Then, your shattered limbs will be woven through the spokes of the wheel which was your destruction, and bound in place. You will be hoisted up, and left to bake in the sun or freeze in the snow, and left as food for the scavenging birds who will pick your eyes from their sockets as you watch. Death will not come peacefully or soon.

[img]http://users.bestweb.net/~rg/execution/wheelb.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My opinion is that the authorities are probably not going to find her body until the spring thaw.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I ashamed to say this, but I think DJ is right.  I don't see how calling out the NG will help this case.  I'd like to think that perhaps the governor knows something we don't, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very tempting! But unfortunately, that road leads to becoming like him. I would prefer to remain as far from what that POS is capable of, as possible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ashamed to say this, but I think DJ is right.  I don't see how calling out the NG will help this case.  I'd like to think that perhaps the governor knows something we don't, but I doubt it.
View Quote

Negative....

It's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy easier to prove murder when you have the body. [thinking]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy easier to prove murder when you have the body. [thinking]
View Quote

An oft-overlooked detail.  Kinda hard to PROVE murder, beyond a shadow of a doubt, when there is no body.

But, I find it odd that they stopped the volunteer search several days ago (more than a week, IIRC) and then decided to bring out the NG.  They had volunteers....why not use them, relativly cost-free?

And I won't accept any BS about the NG being better trained to look for bodies.  Better equipped, possibly, depending on the weather, etc, but better trained?  Nope.  If they are they've been training for the wrong damned mission.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#20]
torture sounds good to me

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I also don't understand why we let these scum walk amongst us. Never let them out. Ever.
View Quote

Problem is, it is not the responsibility of the dregs of society to protect our children and our wives, it isours.

Why do *we* allow these animals to wlak freely amongst our families?

How hard is it to track these monsters down and take care fo the problem?

Why is it always someone elses job?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is the perfect death for these scum!!!

[b]Breaking on the Wheel[/b]
The combination of pain and the longevity of this sentence will be the most severe that you can endure. It begins with a wheel and its iron rim. You will be tied to stakes, naked and spread out upon the ground, where triangular blocks of wood will be placed beneath each of your joints. One by one, we will smash them to splinters with the rim of the wheel, from your wrist to elbow, shoulder to hip, knee to ankle, and then the bones between. This will be done with caution, so as not to accidentally inflict a fatal blow and release you from your penance. Then, your shattered limbs will be woven through the spokes of the wheel which was your destruction, and bound in place. You will be hoisted up, and left to bake in the sun or freeze in the snow, and left as food for the scavenging birds who will pick your eyes from their sockets as you watch. Death will not come peacefully or soon.

[url]http://users.bestweb.net/~rg/execution/wheelb.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I like the way you think!  It's a Very fitting punishment and an even better way to get this A-hole to talk.

Ladies and Gentleman, let's not forget the scumbag-lawyer here.  This piece of shit doesn't want his client to talk or to help find the body.  Let's torture him too!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Very tempting! But unfortunately, that road leads to becoming like him. I would prefer to remain as far from what that POS is capable of, as possible.
View Quote

Crookshanks, while your heart is in the right place you are laughably wrong on this.

Every, single, one of us here are exactly like this guy.  The only tiny exception between us is that we would not do to a defensless person what this man has done.

I guarantee you though, give him to me, give him to any member on this board, and we could do things to him that would make your stomach turn.

And we would do them gladly, if it meant the protection of our children or our wife.

I am unsure why we, as free citizens think it is a governmental job to punish these people.

It really is one of the duties we owe to our neighbors to take care of it ourselves, with finality.  Shame falls on those who don't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative....

View Quote

Also, the sooner the body is found, the more likely it is they will find evidence that she was murdered.  A lot of good it will do to find a body in the spring that's been torn apart by coyotes (if they haven't done so already).
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with Hielo, Wanting to torture this fucking monster doesn't make us like him. No one here would want to hurt someone for nothing, but society has got to quit being the victims to these kind of fucks just because we think were being better than them by not killing their dumbasses.

I can't imagine why we aren't beating the location of Dru out of this piece of shit! I so much hate that criminals suddenly have more rights than their victims! Such a beautiful girls life and rights are gone because some whinny assed puss thinks that we should reform these monsters. I say we kill them ALL! Anyone who would rape a woman or child should be killed

COZ

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative....

View Quote

Also, the sooner the body is found, the more likely it is they will find evidence that she was murdered.  A lot of good it will do to find a body in the spring that's been torn apart by coyotes (if they haven't done so already).
View Quote

considering that her blood was found in his car I don't think it will be to difficult to make the association. Even if her body is not found I will bet they can get a murder conviction. It has been done before. In any event, a kidnapping conviction will likely ensure that he dies behind bars.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Problem is, it is not the responsibility of the dregs of society to protect our children and our wives, it isours.

Why do *we* allow these animals to wlak freely amongst our families?

How hard is it to track these monsters down and take care fo the problem?

Why is it always someone elses job?
View Quote

Never said it was, or should be.
I merely queried as to why we allow them to live in society. No doubt it would have been a good thing if the other prisoners took care of business as Dru would be alive today and society would be better off. It is certainly not extraordinary for other prisoners to kill scum such as this. Even they seem to have some standards. Standards to which society as a whole cannot adhere to. The simple fact of the matter is that liberals run the courts. As such we cannot expect these people to be permanently removed from society. Sad but true. It seems preposterous to me that we let child molesters out, oftentimes after spending only a couple of years in prison. Especially when we know that it is essentially guaranteed that they will do so again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative....

View Quote

View Quote

considering that her blood was found in his car I don't think it will be to difficult to make the association. Even if her body is not found I will bet they can get a murder conviction. It has been done before. In any event, a kidnapping conviction will likely ensure that he dies behind bars.
View Quote

Actually now that AZ and C4 point that out, I think they have a valid point.  I read somewhere that it depends on the jursdiction where the alleged crime occured.  Some states require a body before the DA can charge murder.  If North Dakota is one of these then the most they can charge is kidnapping.  (sigh) If only the cops could 'extract' the necessary information from this guy...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm all for torturing the shit out of this guy until he talks.  A guy gets caught with an illegally converted AR-15 and gets life with no question, but a monster like this fat fucking piece of shit gets out to kill again.  This country has its priorities all backwards.  I should have been born 150 years ago. Then I could enjoy watching Alfonso Rodriguez get his neck stretched 15 minutes after his trial.  I hope he suffers horribly in prison before fellow inmates kill him "American Me" style.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I spent a lot of last week looking. My aviation unit in St Paul MN was alerted and we had aircraft up quite a bit.

Its hard enuf to find a body normally, sadly I'd say chances with any snowcover at all are nil finding her from the air.

We still have one aircraft up there searching though.

Aviator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top