Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 7:27:47 PM EDT
I know all you wacky guys love to pile high AR mags, but what about pistol mags?

Personally, I have 4 high caps and 3 10 rnds each for both my 92FS and CZ 75B. Is that enough?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to keep 4 mags per pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Due to the fact that rebuild kits are available for most pistol and rifle mags - what you have will suffice for a long time but that depends on what you expect to face in the future.

Depending on your usage level and needs - 3 or 4 mags for everyday and a few spares in case one of two become unservicable will do nicely.  On the other hand, whatever you can afford - buy 'em!

You might consider a duplicate set of mags that you can stow away in case of emergency (if you know what I mean) and you loose the regular set.

Now as or AR mags or other rifle mags (why would you want any other rifle other than an AR - right?) get as many as you can and keep a bunch loaded and ready to go and stow (deep six) a bunch just in case.

Of course most of us "gun nuts" just can't have enough of anything related to firearms so proceed accordingly..... [:D]

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
(counting pistol mags...counting pistol mags...damn!) Help! I'm a Magaholic and I can't get up!  [BD]

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The only high-cap pistol I own is a EAA Witness in 38Super/9x23 Winchester.I have a 14 of these.I called Brownells the minute I heard the ban was going to pass.I got them for 14.99 apiece.Good thing too there now a 100.00 or more.Have alot of 1911 mags because i have alot of 1911's.Maybe 30-40 in 45 and 15-20 in 38super/9x23.
Star PD 3 need to get some more wish I had before they stopped making them.Antbody know were to get these for a good price?

I like to have a dozen for each pistol because I rotate them to cut down on wear.

I have some mags for pistols I dont even own anymore like cz's and highpowers
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
How much money can you spend. there is no such thing as enough.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
nine
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
3 minimum per pistol.  
1 in the gun; 2 in the shoulder holster pouch; + 2 more in each belt pouch, until you have the perfect odd # to suit you.  It's odd, because the gun is the 1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
three to carry, one in the pistol, and two on the body wherever, and one spare, at least, back home in the gunsafe, because you may lose one somewhere. especially if they are pre ban mags. no wait, heck, it's way past that time. i remember telling my buddy's to get as many 35 dollar sig hi caps as they could afford, because the price will go up someday--- some did, and some didn't. all the ones that did have thanked me time and again for recommending that they buy them. great trading material. get as many as you can afford! they will never be cheaper, ever!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
enough to hold about 30 rounds when combined ex 2-15s or17s for hi caps 3-10s or4 1911 7-8 rounders sounds reasonable to me
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
6-10 high caps per handgun and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually go with 6 mags per pistol (the 2 that came with it plus 4 extras). For the Glocks I sometimes have more because of the +1 and +2 mag extension options. That reminds me, I need some more. :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]
5 or 6 is a good minimum.

I have 8 for my Glock.

I have nearly 20 mags for a Beretta 92 FS that I still haven't bought.  PLus a couple of 20 rounders for that one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:12:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Cash flow is always an issue for me.  Back in the 80's Mel Tappan advocated at least 12 mags for each pistol you own.  I buy them as $$$$ permits but I not up to Mel's standard yet.  Today some of the mags I need are far more expensive than they should be anyway.  In today's world you never know when the politicians will sell us out and create another law to save us from ourselves.  The parts market is great and I count on it myself but if Shumer or Clinton or Kennedy get their way that market could be taxed out of existance or at least double/triple/etc. the price of parts.  Look at what happened to the AR market once "The Idiot We Used to Call President" got his way.  Pick a number your comfortable with and go for it or stock up on replacement parts.  In the world of guns the enemy is always at the gate. I've ranted enough.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#14]
simpe how much money u got to bad theres no beta c for a glock
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]
You can never have too many. In my case, I'm a Para Ordnance fan so mags are costly. I'll never have enough either since I plan to add a second Para soon...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/Fi/KC/OA/pN81362.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#16]
For combat and competition, a minimum of 6
Plinkers just what it came with 2
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
remember "Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis? that scene when he's loading up? thats what i think everyone should have for every firearm they own. i dont have that manny, even if you combined ALL my mags. but im working on it;) thanks
DB
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
12mags
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
What ever you (as the owner of said weopon) feels is enough.  After that, what everyone says is their opinion and this is mine.

My two pennies........

Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Normally I keep 6-8 per pistol. Normally I carry at least three MAgs and I change them out monthly so the springs have a chance to rest.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, that depends on the handgun, what yer gonna use it for, etc.

If it's a collector gun and you're not going to shoot it, don't bother.  Unless you can get extras cheap, skip 'em.

If it's a shooter, is 11+ rounds really necessary at the range?  If not, get a bunch of postban tens and save the money for ammo.  If you do want more, then get a conglamoration of tens and ten-plusses.  Save the plusses, as if they break it's a co$tly loss.  (Imagine a $100+ pistol high cap falling to the ground, loaded, and hitting cement or sharp rocks.  Now, imagine the same scenario with a postban ten.)

If it's a ccw gun, you've got some choices.  Most gunbattles [b]don't[/b] involve more than 3-4 rounds at best; ten should be fine.  But, Murphy's Law does take effect at bad times; more is not a bad thing.  Still, carrying stuff with you can get heavy and there's that breakage issue.  In this case, have a conglamoration again; a ten in the gun and a ten plus in the pocket...

Personally, I bought five Kimber high capacity magazines (Kimber Polymer series) and I don't even have the Kimber yet!  And, I want MORE.  

I'm a mag-o-holic; I'd prefer ten.  But, I can settle for six.  :D

Mike

PS.  If possible, get stainless mags.  Less worry about rust.

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I try to keep 4 per pistol![uzi][heavy][pyro][pistol]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top