Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2003 11:09:18 PM EDT
Here it is, 1:00 am and I get a knock at my door.  As am wondering "who in the world is knocking at my door at 1 in the morning?" I'm dropping the safety on my Kimber ProCarry.

I open the door with my right leg and foot blocking the edge so it won't open more than about 8 inches, and keep my right arm (and gun hand) behind the door and out of sight.

Seems someone in my apartment complex had their car backed up into, and the cops were trying to figure out where the guy lived.

It's been a good 5-10 minutes now, and I can still feel the adrenaline rush.  I'm glad it was a cop and not a cokehead who wanted to steal my stuff or attack me for fun.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, dude get a peephole.  You are a little high strung.  

I knew there was a reason I stood to the side of the door when knocking.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
How exciting [):)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, yes, I probably am a bit high strung, but how many times do people knock on your door at 1 am?  Besides, no one has knocked on my door for several months - I don't get visitors and usually don't tell people where I live.  If I go out with people or hang out, it's not at my place.

Also, the door does have a peephole, but it doesn't work right.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How exciting [):)]
View Quote
[b]CALM DOWN, GOD DAMNIT!!!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Boo Radley
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
No shit, get a peephole. It will help allot in just that situation. They are cheap and easy to install.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a peephole, but at 0100 I'm reacting the same way, cop or not.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, yes, I probably am a bit high strung, but how many times do people knock on your door at 1 am?  Besides, no one has knocked on my door for several months - I don't get visitors and usually don't tell people where I live.
View Quote

Dude, you ever watch "Silence of the Lambs?"
View Quote

That's generally what happens when you paint over it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
You're lucky you didn't accidentally catch a bullet opening the door to a cop with gun in hand.  I use a peephole.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Peep hole sheep hole.

1 am, I WILL NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

ME in a loud voice through the closed door:
What the fuck do you want !

COP In a loud voice: Its the police. Please open the door, sir ?

ME in a loud voice through the closed door: What is the problem officer ?

COP : Could you open the door, sir ?

ME in a loud voice through the closed door: WHY ?

You get the point. WHY open the door ?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the apartment maintenance man [B]unlock my door and walk in the apartment[/B]one morning about 1:30AM. Seems the pipes had frozen and broken in one of the apartments and he was looking for the leak. He thought my apartment was vacant. I damn near shot him. He was about three steps into the living room when I threw down on him. Lucky for him I recognized him and he stopped when challenged. The manager was standing right behind him while all this was going on. He quit the next week.

It's amazing how fast you can go from a dead sleep to cocked and locked isn't it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Peep hole sheep hole.

View Quote

Why?

1.  Because the building is on fire
2.  Because your (mother, father, sister, brother, wife, son, daughter) has been (arrested, involved in an accident, caught sniffing glue)
3.  Because they know you have a preban upper on a postban lower

The list goes on.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peep hole sheep hole.

View Quote

Why?

2.  Because your (mother, father, sister, brother, wife, son, daughter) has been (arrested, involved in an accident, caught sniffing glue)

The list goes on.
View Quote

My point is if he HAS reason I will open the door. Find out why first.

Cop : Sir do you own a blue pick up

ME through closed door at 1:00am : NO

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
im scared of the peep-hole...

I feel that someone will stab an ice pick thru it when they  see the light that shines thru is  blocked by my head... < meaning my eye is right where they want it..   ive never even heard of that happening.. but  no peep-hole for me..  >

and no.. Im not kidding..
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cop had already seen in the house... turn the peephole around.   [;)]

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peep hole sheep hole.

View Quote

Why?

The list goes on.
View Quote

My point is if he HAS reason I will open the door. Find out why first.

Cop : Sir do you own a blue pick up

ME through closed door at 1:00am : NO

View Quote

Cop: Could you open the door sir?
You:  Fuck off type response
Cop:  Fine sir, thank you.

Turns out someone smashed your car window and it's about to pour . . . but since you reacted like a jerk the cop leaves without telling you and writes it up that you refused to answer the door.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I feel that someone will stab an ice pick thru it when they  see the light that shines thru is  blocked by my head... < meaning my eye is right where they want it..   ive never even heard of that happening.. but  no peep-hole for me..  >

View Quote

Thank you very much for sharing your phobia with me!!!  I'm never going to be able to use a peep hole again without that thought going through my head...  And I have a lot a years of peeping left in me. [:)]

Kent
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you very much for sharing your phobia with me!!!  I'm never going to be able to use a peep hole again without that thought going through my head...  And I have a lot a years of peeping left in me. [:)]

Kent
View Quote

When I get sent on "dope in the dorm" type calls, I knock on the door and then cover the peep hole with my thumb.  A sober person will ask who it is.  A stoner, almost 99% of the time, will open the door to see what is blocking in the peep hole.

Works great!

Dave
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I've answered the door at 2am with a pistol in my hand.

Like you, I don't get people that late.

Turned out to  the neighbor's daughter, who was locked out and needed to call mom.

She never saw my gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Kent
View Quote

OMG...[rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Ever seen "The Professional"?

That's how I answer my door. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#23]
You need to get over the belief that your Kimber is an extension of your penis. Miss-using your penis costs you half of everything plus monthly paymnets. Miss-using your Kimber can get you all that and lodging in jail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Jesus christ you guys need to amp down.  How the hell do you enjoy life running around acting captain tactical all the damn time?

If you're really scared of th peephole, they sell big ones that you can stand back from the door and still see who it is.  Personally I have always lived in places where I had a window near the door that I could see out of and see who was at the front door.  If you're building your own house, it's a good idea to design in something like that.  If you're a studend of Cooper, you'll already know this.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with U-Baddog, If you did not call them then they have no reason to be there. I used to share an apartment with my brother, one time we were drunk, wrestling around and making a bunch of noise so the people below us called the cops
(I guess that is easier than being a man and coming to us and asking that we keep the noise down)when they arrived we just told them that we had nothing to say to them and refused to open the door. They went away.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

i would do the same to anyone who knocks on my door after midnight
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Jesus christ you guys need to amp down.  How the hell do you enjoy life running around acting captain tactical all the damn time?
View Quote

Damn!  I agree with Norman on something.  Some of you really have issues. Paranoia is not a healthy lifestyle, though I must admit, one with never a dull moment.

Right off the bat I can think of quite a few reasons why the police could show up at my door at 1am.
Canvassing for witnesses to a crime.  (Sir, in the past hour or so, have you heard any screaming?)
Gas leak
inform you of a manhunt in your neighborhood.  (Did this Weds at 0400.  Bet a few people reconsidered their lack of gun ownership that night)
Asking you if you know where your car is.  (If I'm asking this question, your car is NOT where you think you left it.)
911 hangup call (We get dozens of these.  People using calling cards are especially prone to this)
Asking for access to your property. (Fire dept was one example already given)

Not every knock on your door is a SHTF scenario.
Bad guys won't knock in the first place,  You'd be amazed how easy it is to kick a door in.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn!  I agree with Norman on something.  
View Quote

I love it when people say that!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a difference between being scared and being prepared.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I only answer my door after I've put on my black tactical pants, commander-style black boots, tactical belt with 1911/tac knife/flashlight/cuffs/two extra pistol mags attached, black t-shirt, black baseball cap, and either my Bushy 20" A2 or Winchester 1300 12 gauge in hand.

Funny though there's never anyone there when I get there. I think they're all just playing pranks on me. Maybe if I slept with all my gear on, I could catch the these mysterious knockers who are messing with me...

[%|]

Mmmm... "knockers"

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I see nothing wrong it going to the door armed, its kept he JWs from coming back!
CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

People knocking at my door at 1am means I am already not enjoying life. Cooper also has a long hallway and such with gates on either end of the main entrance, huh?

You say don't act like CPT Tactical, but yet you quote a tactically sound principle of checking who is at your door through a window designed to do so.....

Contradictions don't help your point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bad guys won't knock in the first place,  You'd be amazed how easy it is to kick a door in.  
View Quote

Well shit, then it could be VERY confusing for the average person if a team of cops no-knocks the wrong house in the middle of the night, huh?  If only bad guys enter without knocking, then why don't cops knock??

[lol]

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

People knocking at my door at 1am means I am already not enjoying life. Cooper also has a long hallway and such with gates on either end of the main entrance, huh?

You say don't act like CPT Tactical, but yet you quote a tactically sound principle of checking who is at your door through a window designed to do so.....

Contradictions don't help your point.
View Quote

Here's your answer
Quoted:
There's a difference between being scared and being prepared.
View Quote

Studying Cooper doesn't mean do what he does all the time either. Nobody is 100% correct all the time.  That guy lives at Gunsite for christ's sake, do you really think he needs ANY of that horseshit?
If you live in an area where you go running off to the door with a gun everytime someone knocks & scares you, you should either move, or get a dog.  Probably both.

My impression of the original poster is that he lives in fear.  I guess it works for some folks, the rest of us actually have lives to attend to.  My dog, guns, practice, knives, heightened sense of awareness etc. aren't there to limit my life, they are there to make sure I get to enjoy it.

Yet, this guy is so scared, but he won't do the basic things to keep himself safe.  The point I was making about Cooper's window was that there are basic preparations you can take so that you don't have to put on your level III chemical and biohazard & bulletproof suit before you answer the door all the time.  Get a proper peep-hole, get a dog, get a place with good window placement, MOVE, etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn, don't you guys have your PEEPHOLE TACTICS down??  j/k

Actually, I've always had a penny taped over the peephole so that it is always dark and people can't look inside. Then when you do need to use the peephole, I'd just lift up the taped penny, so that for someone outside they don't see the difference from when it goes from light to dark.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Johninaustin,
Bad guys won't knock in the first place, You'd be amazed how easy it is to kick a door in.
View Quote

Actually, a large percentage of home invasions start with a knock on the door, and impersonation of a police officer isn't uncommon at all. I really don't see being armed when answering the door at one in the morning as paranoid. Asking a supposed cop to state his business through a closed, locked door seems entirely appropriate to me as well.

Remember all, you can always call the 911 center to confirm the ID of anyone claimang to be a cop.

Samples from a short search:
This week Crime Stoppers needs your help in solving a home invasion that occurred Highland Road near Lee Drive on Thursday, August 16, 2001 and is currently under investigation by the Baton Rouge Police Armed Robbery Division.

Here are some of the facts:

On Thursday, August 16, 2001 around midnight at an apartment on Highland Road near Lee Drive, two male subjects [blue]knocked on the door[/blue] of the victim's apartment. The victim answered the door and the Black Male subject asked, "is Chelsea there". The victim told the Black Male that no one by that name resided at the apartment and she shut and locked the door. A short time later, the subjects knocked again on the door and the victim's friend opened the door and the two subjects forced their way in at knifepoint. The two subjects took control of the victims and each were forced into different bedrooms...
View Quote

ROCHESTER — Police are looking for a Pembroke man suspected, along with two others of being involved in a home invasion on Pleasant Street early Saturday morning...
The victims said they were pistol-whipped and threatened with a gun by three people after they [blue]knocked on the door[/blue] and pushed their way in.
View Quote

Van Nuys, Calif.: On Monday, February 7, 2000, at approximately 9:05 p.m., a Vietnamese family, ages ranging from 13-51 years old, were inside their residence located on the 17500 block of Sherman Way when an unknown individual [blue]knocked on the door[/blue]. Upon opening the door, a lone male suspect, possible of Cambodian decent, armed with a handgun, entered the home. The suspect ordered the victim to the floor and an undetermined number of other suspects also entered the home. The suspects ripped the telephone cords from the wall to prevent the victims from calling police, ransacked the residence and took an unknown amount of jewelry and money. None of the family members were injured during the robbery.
View Quote

12/04/03) WYANDANCH - Police say a home invasion happened at a two family home located 56 Spruce Street in Wyandanch Wednesday night.
Suffolk detectives say at around 11 p.m., three men walked up to the side of the house and [blue]knocked on the door[/blue].Police say as soon as a woman who lived inside opened the door, she was rushed by the men, one of which struck her with a handgun and snatched a chain from around her neck. Cops say the woman's boyfriend was also hit in the head with a handgun. With the homeowners bruised and begging for mercy, the men ransacked the home.

But the torture didn't end there. Police say the gunmen forced the woman to the front of the house. They told her to cry for help and if she didn't, they would kill her.

Police say she yelled for someone to call police and it was enough to get the attention of the woman who lived in the second floor apartment. The men fled the scene and police are still searching for them. As for the family that lives in the house, they say they're moving out until the men are caught.
View Quote

Shelby County Sheriff's Office investigators now have a picture of the man believed to be the person responsible for a home invasion earlier this week in East Shelby County.

A lady reported a man [blue]knocked on her door[/blue], [red]flashed a law enforcement badge[/red] and then barged into her home in the 8700 Block of River Wood Farms Parkway this past Wednesday. The man was armed and threatened to rob her. As the man attempted to kidnap the woman and drive her to a bank teller machine, a real estate agent who was scheduled to meet the woman pulled up into the driveway and scared off the intruder.
View Quote

You keep answering the door unarmed if you want.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Remember all, you can always call the 911 center to confirm the ID of anyone claimang to be a cop.
View Quote

Shit, but then what do I do with that really cool sticker on my front door that says "I don't dial 9-1-1"?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Screw a peephole.... I got one like this but with a wider field of view.... it is great!

[url]http://www.quietek.com.au/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Screw a peephole.... I got one like this but with a wider field of view.... it is great!

[url]http://www.quietek.com.au/[/url]
View Quote

That is exactly what I was talking about.  They had them in the dorms when I was in college.

[img]http://www.quietek.com.au/images/imageL13_140.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#40]
geez.  Maybe some of you guys live in safer dwellings than I have, but in some apartment complexes I've lived in it would be foolish to answer the door at 1 a.m. without arming yourself.  At that hour, there can only be one of a few reasons for someone at your door.  If it's a cop, no problem.  If it is somebody pretending to be a cop, they COULD see you cover the peephole, kick in the door and send you reeling.  (There have been home invasions in several affluent Dallas neighborhoods where bad guys dress in "Police" black gear.)

My family depends on me as their last line of defense. I will be armed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I’d think there needs to be compromise in how to handle this.

Simply opening a door to an unidentified person at 1 AM is, IMHO, a really bad idea.

OTOH, you can’t live your life hiding under your bed!!

And need I date myself badly by mentioning Kitty Genovese?

Quoted:

I feel that someone will stab an ice pick thru it when they  see the light that shines thru is  blocked by my head...
View Quote

I’m not worried much about an icepick, but I could see someone waiting to see movement and then shooting through the door.  I typically put my hand in front of the peephole while standing to the side of the door for a couple of seconds to see what happens.

When I lived in NYC many years ago, I recall some “pranksters” ringing someone’s apartment doorbell and putting a lighted M-80 in the peephole (which back then was often simply a hole in the door with a retractable cover).  The M-80 went off just as a teenager in the apartment looked through the peephole, destroying one of his eyes.

Quoted:
I had the apartment maintenance man [B]unlock my door and walk in the apartment[/B]one morning about 1:30AM. ... I damn near shot him. ...
View Quote

Maybe twenty years ago in Maryland, an off duty cop awoke in the middle of the day and found a black male going through his apartment.  He shot and killed the man.

Turned out it was a maintenance worker simply doing his job.  (The rental office should have notified the renter beforehand, but didn’t.)

If you’re renting, there’s a lot to be said for installing your own deadbolt or chain to prevent this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Wtf is some of you guys' problems... if someone knocks on my door at 1am they are going to greeted by me armed, and if it's just some shmuck they're going to get the riot act.  If it's a cop I'll help them out and if it's a BG I'll ventilate him.  Btw answering your door armed doesn't mean I go kick it open and jump out ninja style with gun drawn.  My door has a window at the top that I can look through from many different angles including from my staircase, and it's hard for them to look in.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh ya and one more thing... I too am afraid of a "peephole ambush".  Only I'm afraid of someone putting a bullet through the hole when I peek out (glad I don't have a peephole [:)]).  Someone did it in a movie once or twice I think...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Johninaustin,
Bad guys won't knock in the first place, You'd be amazed how easy it is to kick a door in.
View Quote

Actually, a large percentage of home invasions start with a knock on the door, and impersonation of a police officer isn't uncommon at all. I really don't see being armed when answering the door at one in the morning as paranoid. Asking a supposed cop to state his business through a closed, locked door seems entirely appropriate to me as well.

Samples from a short search:
View Quote

You keep answering the door unarmed if you want.
View Quote

Excellent post tt!!

In my experience, I've seen at least an equal number of "knock and force entry" cases as "bust down the door" types.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Knock on my door at anytime after midnight, I answer by emptying a 30 rd. clip into the door with my Bushy!  Why?  Because this isn't a game!  This is war, my neighborhood is the battlezone, the front-line!  When are you people going to wake up and realize this!  Maybe you have not shot anyone in a long time or ever, but we need to start!  Only then will this country be a better place to live!

...Sorry, but this is how some of you guys sound to me.
If I get a knock on my door, I look to see who it is first. If it's a  cop in uniform and I can see the marked car as well.  I will gladly open the door to talk to them, and help them in any way I can.  I am on the side of law enforcement, for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wtf is some of you guys' problems... if someone knocks on my door at 1am they are going to greeted by me armed, and if it's just some shmuck they're going to get the riot act.  If it's a cop I'll help them out and if it's a BG I'll ventilate him.  Btw answering your door armed doesn't mean I go kick it open and jump out ninja style with gun drawn.  My door has a window at the top that I can look through from many different angles including from my staircase, and it's hard for them to look in.  
View Quote

I with you 100%

Who the fuck knocks on my door at 1AM???  I'm long done with my college days, so it ain't a buddy coming to tell me there's a free keg down the block.

If someone knocks on my door at 1AM, no good can come from it.

It's either:
1. Wrong address (guy knocking at door is still sketchy for knocking at 1AM), in this case my gun with not be visible to him and he will be told to go away.
2. Family or friend in an emergency, and in this case the last concern on my mind is whether they see my gun or not.
3. Police, in this case they will not see my gun and I will help them with whatever they need, if I'm convince they are indeed cops and not clever home invaiders.
or...
4. Someone(s) with the intention of harming me, or at least taking my property from me.

Why not be prepared???

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You need to get over the belief that your Kimber is an extension of your penis.
View Quote

[BC comics clam voice][size=4]DU infiltrator!![/size=4][/BC comics clam voice]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#48]
people get shot thru peepholes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ever seen "The Professional"?

That's how I answer my door. [;D]
View Quote

Ever seen "The Transporter"? That's how I knock on a door. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#50]
BlackMountainArmory, I cannot believe people are bitching at you for answering the door armed.  I have a CCW, so any time you see me there is a good chance I will be armed.  So at 0100 I should suddenly hide the gun?  Amazing.  No doubt the same people would make nasty comments had you been injured/killed ("he should have been armed, why did he even own a gun?").

I carry in areas where I am in far more danger from meteorites than goblins.  Not because I am scared, but on principal.  

How many threads have we seen asking "how many guns are in reach right now?"  Many people keep a pistol within grabbing range or a shotgun in the closet, etc.  Paranoid?  Captain Tactical?  I don't think so.  

Bang on my door during the day and I might be carrying, do so at nite and I will definitely be armed.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top