Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2003 8:07:58 PM EDT
Looking for a users guide, and preferably a shop manual if possible for the following automatic mirror:

2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy K Silverado - 4wd
Automatic Day-Night Mirror.

Problem:
Unit powers up, I suppose its a self diagnostic, then goes back to the last used setting.  In this case the Temp is displayed.
When pressing the compass button, there no compass heading shown, only the letter C.

If you have a simillar mirror in your vehicle and have a manual handy, a quick look in there would be appreciated.

thanks!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check this weekend, can't post until Monday, but it involves holding the compass button and driving in tight circles in a prraking lot to reset the compass, I'm not kidding.

BTW, I think these are universal units, my brother in law has the same setup in his Ram pickup, with the same reset feature.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My coworker had a Tahoe with the auto mirror, and he said when it got below freezing outside, instead of displaying the temp it would say ICE. Apparently to warn of possibly icy roads. Maybe the I and the E are burnt out? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Problem: In this case the Temp is displayed. When pressing the compass button, there no compass heading shown, only the letter [b]C[/b].
View Quote

"C" is correct. It means you are traveling in a circle [:D]

er...sorry. I have a Ford and a Dodge and can't help.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What Citadelgrad87 said.  I have a 97 Chevy blazer and my manual says to drive in circles to get the compass calibrated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What Citadelgrad87 said.  I have a 97 Chevy blazer and my manual says to drive in circles to get the compass calibrated.
View Quote

That is 100% correct.  C = Calibrate.  My two Chevys occasionally do the same thing.

Just find a parking lot and drive around in circles until it shows direction again.  Some models may require you to actually set you "zone" so it gets the direction right based on magnetic north.  Most of the time my vehicles remember their zone, just forget what direction their heading.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I think that is a Donnelly Mirror:

[url]http://www.donnelly.com/products/interiorvisionsystems/prismaticcompass.asp[/url]

Go to their web page and nose around.  You should be able to get a .pdf manual.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
COOL

thanks guys for all your help !!!![:)]

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
So the next time a cop asks me why the hell I'm doing donuts in the mall parking lot I can say "I was just recalibrating my compass". . .  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top