Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 11:08:59 AM EDT
I want to have some portable entertainment for long road trips and killing time at the in-laws place. I've seen the small portable DVD's are compng down in price, but the screens are tiny. A laptop would be better as far as screen size & have the ability to play games or do some work on. The laptop idea is preferable, but I can't justify spending $1000 just to watch a movie. What would be a best guess price for a used laptop that would have a DVD drive and a reasonable amount of computing power and disk space? Like maybe a PIII 1 gig?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
GOOD GOD MAN! SHOW SOME COMPASS.......oops.  sorry, wrong thread, man.
i typed that on your roadside memorial response.
i have the same delimma.  i think i am leaning towards the laptop just because of the other features, games, work, school etc.  they cost more but some of the stuff like gateways centrino technology boaasts some pretty long battery life. and you can always pick up a power inverter for running it in the car.  
however, if you like to camp, a small dvd player might come in handy there - much lighter and easier to pack than a laptop.  other wise, i think i am leaning to the laptop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The trick is to not look at it as if you are just buying a video system.  You are actually buying a computer! You can websurf, run applications, games, etc., AND play movies.  Much better than dedicating $200 for a cheap, 7" screen, dedicated vehicular movie system.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Laptop.

SG
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
laptop
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen Dell Laptops in the $700-$800 range.

BTW I picked up one of those DVD playser with a 7" screen for the Van.  Worked great on the 2 day trip to Florida keeping the kids entertained (particularly at night).  Well worth the $200 to not hear [b][size=5]WAAAAA![/size=5][/b] or 'Daddy when are we going to get there?".
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The trick is to not look at it as if you are just buying a video system.  You are actually buying a computer! You can websurf, run applications, games, etc., AND play movies.  Much better than dedicating $200 for a cheap, 7" screen, dedicated vehicular movie system.
View Quote

It's hard to look at it that way with 2 Home pc's and no real reason to have the laptop other than the above scenarios. Would a used system be worth the effort?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what your main usage will be.

Laptops generally have crappie speakers and short battery life (even the better, more expensive units will only get 2-4 hours).  Mine will last about 2 (hrs).  That's enough time for one movie, if you can hear it over the road noise (i.e. you wouldn't be able to on mine)  I've never used a portable dvd player, but at least now you know what questions to ask when you go looking. It is true that if watching movies is way down your priority list then a laptop is more versatile, but if your main purpose is for playing movies on trips, I'd get the portable dvd unit. :)
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GOOD GOD MAN! SHOW SOME COMPASS.......oops.  sorry, wrong thread, man.
View Quote

I missed that one until just a minute ago. That is a goofy thread for sure. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Laptops generally have crappie speakers and short battery life (  That's enough time for one movie, if you can hear it over the road noise (i.e. you wouldn't be able to on mine)   :)
View Quote

Excellent point. That would suck to not be able to hear it. Then add a set of external speakers and have shit spread out all over the damn car.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I disagree on the laptop speaker bit.
My Laptop a Compaq 2700US has JBL/Pro speakers and they rival the speakers on my desktop PC (Boston).

I have read that Sony has the worst laptop speakers.

Shop around, try them out. Get a laptop. A power converter cost me $30. (not the car/plane converter for $99) This one just converst DC to AC.

I vote laptop!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laptops generally have crappie speakers and short battery life (  That's enough time for one movie, if you can hear it over the road noise (i.e. you wouldn't be able to on mine)   :)
View Quote

Excellent point. That would suck to not be able to hear it. Then add a set of external speakers and have shit spread out all over the damn car.
View Quote

Battery life in the car is not big deal get a AC power converter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the fact that a laptop computer [b]ALSO doubles as a Mp3 player![/b]  I currently carry about 20 GB of Mp3s on my laptop for listening to in the car.

Actually this is more popular a use than DVD's for me.

Directly wire the sound from the laptop into the car's audio system.  Use a Cassette adapter if you have a cassette player, otherwise you can pick up one of the better FM transmitters.

Reasons why Laptop is better than a DVD unit:

1)  MP3 capability
2)  Better screen
3)  You can 'compute' with it
4)  Hardware (example: USB gps unit with maps)
5)  Games
6)  Offloading digital pics on the go
7)  Playing media types other than DVD. (avi, mpg, wma)

For the money, you are better off with a Laptop in the long run.  Not only can you do more with it, but DVD's play better on a laptop.

Don't forget your peripherals:  (Invertor 140 watt minimum, RF transmitter/aux cable/casette adapter)  Pack some good headphones when you need to listen privately.

Laptop speakers are never going to equal a good set of desktop speakers, at least at current tech levels.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
laptop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for laptop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Torf said it all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto. Laptop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#17]
laptop!!

laptop $600-700
laptop car chager/power supply $75
exteranl WIRELESS speaker system $75

well worth it
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reasons why Laptop is better than a DVD unit:

1)  MP3 capability
2)  Better screen
3)  You can 'compute' with it
4)  Hardware (example: USB gps unit with maps)
5)  Games
6)  Offloading digital pics on the go
7)  Playing media types other than DVD. (avi, mpg, wma)

For the money, you are better off with a Laptop in the long run.  Not only can you do more with it, but DVD's play better on a laptop.

Don't forget your peripherals:  (Invertor 140 watt minimum, RF transmitter/aux cable/casette adapter)  Pack some good headphones when you need to listen privately.
View Quote

Good reasons Torf. Also, with 2.5 hard drive prices dropping, you could load a dozen movies, even more with MPEG4/Divx, and not have to drag the disks along either.

USB/1394 connectivity and the ability to synch with the home network more than justifes the cost of a laptop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both and seldom use the DVD feature on either.

We actually use a PSII and 12 dc TV more.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Dump one of your home PCs and get a laptop.

Aside from all the advantages mentioned above, you can surf the internet from anywhere around the house with a WiFi card. Plus, it makes the ultimate SHTF computer - works even during power failures.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Laptop by far.

I have an "old" laptop (was originally sold as a pII-233!) that I use on the road. I has a multipurpose bay which I can use: 2nd HDD, LS120, or 8xCDRW. It has a TV out port so I can hook it to Hotel TV's etc.

I load up my HDD with Divx Encoded DVD's so there are no "Disks" to worry about.

As to getting out of date... I have a PCMCIA USB2 card that lets me use DVD burners and other new toys. There are also 1394/Firewire PCMCIA cards...

Add a USB BlueTooth dongal or a digital modem cable and the laptop can use your cell phone, PC email almost anywhere!

PCMCIA GPS with moving map software...

Yes it can be a bit much to haul around, but it does alot and does not eat throw away batteries.

[url=http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/p5150/p5150nv.shtml]GTW Solo 5150[/url]
pII-400 288Mb sdram
20Gb primary HDD, 12Gb Secondary HDD

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
DVD player $250-350
Laptop $600-1000

What do you want it for? Will you or someone else be using it?
The LT has many ammenities, but easily costs twice as much. I have a DVD player and have found it very affordable and useful. Mind you I was in the same dilema and chose to keep the $300 for myself (gun money)

I used my DVD when I moved my sister to AZ. The DVD did wonders to keep my two nephews entertained during the 12hr road trip in the Uhaul. Its small size (7" scrn) allowed me to put it on the dash, for all to see. That also kept it out of reach from cheetos, juice, etc. If something were to happen to it, I'd rather replace the DVD, over the LT.

The DVD also has connections to attacth to tv when you reach your destination. In a Vegas hotel or grandma's house, hook up the dvd to the TV instead of pay-per view for the kids, while you're busy running the streets. Mine came with remote so I can be just as lazy away, as I am at home.

Travel on a plane, train, bus, etc? I feel the movie (with headphones) is much less likely to annoy a stranger sitting next you, over constant tapping of a keyboard.

My choice works and makes sense to me. Your choice should do the same for you.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
New guy here, but why don't you just buy a book?

The visual can entertain me for a little while, but reading and imagination can keep me busy for hours.

Besides, you can spend that budgeted money on another rifle!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top