Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2003 7:20:23 AM EDT
Does calling someone a "nigger" automatically make you a racist?  And for the record, I'm distinguishing between blacks calling each other "nigga" or whatever the hell that's all about.

What I mean is this.  If a woman pisses me off, I might call her a bitch, a cunt, a twat, or any other collection of gender-based insults.  That doesn't mean I'm misogynistic, it just means that I'm pissed off, and I'm going to use whatever insult I can come up with to do the most amount of emotional damage.  It wouldn't make much sense to call a woman a fag now would it?

Similarly, if I know someone to be gay, and they piss me off, I may call them a fag, or extrapolate a bit and call them a pedophile, or a baby-raper, or a catholic priest, or whatever.  It wouldn't make much sense to call them a dyke, or to call a white homosexual a spic.

Likewise, if a black person is pissing me off, I'm going to go for maximum effect with my insults.  It's not anything based on a racial bias on my part, it's just a desire to inflict the maximum emotional damage.  While I could see how that person in that context could take it as me being racist, but it doesn't necesarily make me a racist overall.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If someone calls you "niggardly," take it as a compliment.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
... [size=1][red]shitstirrer[/red][/size=1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I think being WHITE makes you a racist...

Seriously though, I think society has brainwashed folks into believing that if they dislike a person of another ethnicity than they are racist.

I don't think it's very nice to call someone the 'N' word, but does it automatically make you are racist?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you call women "cunt, bitch and twat" on a regular basis then I would say racism is the least of your issues.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Nigga please.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The problem with the word nigger substantial.

It is always plural, as even when used in the singular context, the implication is that you are a member of the plural.  The word 'Nigger' connotes that the entire black race is below that of a dog in all forms.  Thus when you use it, it's significantly more than an personal insult.  It's not like saying, "DriftPunch, you are an asshole".  It's like saying "DriftPunch, you are from a long line of contemptable neanderthals whose legacy you will find it impossible to shake."  

To answer the question, you don't have to be a racist to use the word 'nigger', but then you'd be definately in the minority of those who use it frequently.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't [i]make[/i] you a racist, it just broadcasts the fact that you are.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Scumbag biker trash.

You laughed at that, didn't you?  No reason someone else can't do the same.[;)]

Unless they were a racist, themself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you have [b]lots[/b] of problems dealing with people. While I am not qualified to help you with any of them, there is professional help avaiable. [:|]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nigga please.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

you really think so?  I would say it's insensitive perhaps, but I wouldn't call it racist.

Part of the reason I bring this up is that I have been dating a girl from Trinidad.  
From what she has told me, genetically she's half black and half indian (far east, not native american).  We were out a couple of weeks ago, and there was a gaggle of little hood-rats hanging out in a public walkway. They had clearly picked the area with the most pedestrian traffic so that they could cause trouble.  As we approached the spot where they were standing, my date says to me "looks like nigger corner".
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nigga please.
View Quote

Word.
View Quote

Word Up!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I'm the biggest racist here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By norman74

..... While I could see how that person in that context could take it as me being racist, but it doesn't necesarily make me a racist overall.
View Quote

It seems you have already [b]rationalized [/b]YOUR use and application of several words,so what do you want us to say? [rolleyes]
View Quote

If you have nothing to say, why say anything at all?

You obviously disagree with what I've said, but for whatever reason don't want to elaborate, so neither will I [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
fo shizzle meh nizzle
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#18]
It seems to me the calling somebody who isn't a fag a fag is more of an insult to that person then to actually call a gay person that. I do believe in the maximum insult factor but a white person that would call a person a nigger or Asian a slope head usually is brought up in a family and it was done their. Many white families and white people would not call a black man a nigger (or should it be African American man) no matter how mad they were because of the level of the insult. It probably makes you a racist, but I have never met anybody that wasn't a racist, it is just a matter of degree.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Is calling someone a Doon Coon or a Camel Jockey the same thing?  I might be in trouble
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to be, one couldn't speak about religion or politics.  Now it's race and the myriad sub-issues that stem from race.  Just ask Rush.  He was simply making an observation regarding a possible media bias toward black quarterbacks and it ignited a firestorm that showed the entire country that ANY discussion about race is beyond our whiny, easily offended sensibilities.  However, I have wondered why someone can say "white trash" and not "nigger".  What if I were "from a long line of contemptable neanderthals whose legacy you will find it impossible to shake."?  Then does "white trash" carry the same socially reprehensible connotations?  Probably not.  It's a minority/majority thing.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have [b]lots[/b] of problems dealing with people. While I am not qualified to help you with any of them, there is professional help avaiable. [:|]
View Quote

I know this is your little schtick here and all, but I'll take what you said at face value.
I said nothing about the frequency of my usage of any of those terms.  I can't honestly remember the last time that a woman pissed me off so bad that I looked her in the eye and called her a cunt.  I also can't say that it's NEVER happened.  To me it's no different than getting pissed off enough at a guy to start slinging insults at them either.  If that guy is black, he might just hear the "N" word.  Especially so if he's acting in a way that would be thought of as stereotypical of that word.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Niggers come in all colors.
AB
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

you really think so?  I would say it's insensitive perhaps, but I wouldn't call it racist.

Part of the reason I bring this up is that I have been dating a girl from Trinidad.  
From what she has told me, genetically she's half black and half indian (far east, not native american).  We were out a couple of weeks ago, and there was a gaggle of little hood-rats hanging out in a public walkway. They had clearly picked the area with the most pedestrian traffic so that they could cause trouble.  As we approached the spot where they were standing, my date says to me "looks like nigger corner".
View Quote

I guess I missed the context in the original post. The way I see it, though, is that it is an offensive word with a purely racial referent. It is (and only is) the offensive word for "black person." I can't imagine using it except to hurt or denigrate [make your own joke]someone because of his skin color. Hurting or denigrating  him because he's an asshole is mean, but hurting him because his black is racist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Although many believe it denotes you are a racist, it doesn't by no means.

It's a racist insult no more no less.  Yet some people would advocate you being put in jail for saying it.  Think about it a minute, going to jail for saying a word. Kind of goes against the first amendment a bit uh?

It's a dangerous thing when society sets up different standards based on ones skin color.  In the last year I've read of white children being accused of hate crimes because they were white and used the word. I've also read of black children purposely seeking white children to beat up, Cleveland, and not accused of a hate crime.

Strange times we live in.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Using the "N" word makes you no more a racist than using the "K", "H"..the other "H", "C", the other "C" word, "S", "G", "T", "W", damn..I almost forgot the third "C" and "G" word, "R".

Does calling a woman that cuts you off in traffic a "Bitch" make you a mysoginist...due to the historical role of inequality women have been subjected too?

NO.

Anyone that thinks the use of a racial slur makes that person a racist is a dolt.  

-HS
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think being WHITE makes you a racist...

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have never met anybody that wasn't a racist, it is just a matter of degree.
View Quote

Yep.

CR
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

She can say that, you may not. It's dumb, but that is the reverse-racist conundrum we as a society find ourselves in since the PC victimization police took over the culture.

In truth, if people were polite and considerate, NEITHER of you would dream of saying that, because it is a low class word that denigrates both the target and the speaker.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#29]

I don't think it automatically makes you a racist.  I think it depends on what context the N word was used.  Though in the PC world we live in no seems to understand these things and it will probably automatically get you labled as a racist...

With that being said...

[b][i]I love my Niggaz, but where's my bitches...[/i][/b] [;)][:D]

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

She can say that, you may not. It's dumb, but that is the reverse-racist conundrum we as a society find ourselves in since the PC victimization police took over the culture.
View Quote

And you've just bought into it.  By saying that you agree with the fact that she can say it and I can't.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never met anybody that wasn't a racist, it is just a matter of degree.
View Quote

Yep.

CR
View Quote

True, but just using a word does not make you a racist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#32]
In the eyes of 99% of sheeple, yes.

Its like starting a United White Collage fund, you would be considered a racist.

CH
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does calling someone a "nigger" automatically make you a racist?  
View Quote

No.  

It makes one eligible for a NAACP Diversity Award.  

(and now that William Pierce is out of the running, this could be your year!)
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I guess I missed the context in the original post. The way I see it, though, is that it is an offensive word with a purely racial referent. It is (and only is) the offensive word for "black person." I can't imagine using it except to hurt or denigrate [make your own joke]someone because of his skin color. Hurting or denigrating  him because he's an asshole is mean, but hurting him because his black is racist.
View Quote

It's not hurting him because he's black.  It's exploiting a weakness when someone has pissed you off.  That is what insults are all about.  It's no different than having a gimp start shit with you and calling him a gimp, or some guy covered in moles starting shit and you making fun of his face, or calling a short guy a midget, or a skinny guy beanpole, or a fat guy lardass.  It's insensitive, but it's not necesarily racist.
Part of the point here is that society has gotten to the point that they are one and the same.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I can call me fat, but you cannot call me fat.

It is all in context and intent of use.

If you are using "those words" (any of the fringe mentioned above), in a conversation, discussing the people that carry various "nicknames", then I don't really see it as making you a bad person (especially when I call my ex-wife a bitch).

Now, if you are saying just to piss off somebody that fits that description, then that is maybe pushing the limit.

For example, what if an afro american continually referred to you as "honkey".  (well, I would prefer that over "dawg", "homie",  etc.)

PC "Leave it to Beaver" Ghetto:

"Why, Hello Afro American!"
"Hello Caucasion! what are you up to, my friend?"
"Well, Afro American, not much, I was thinking about going down to the park and trying to sell some illicit drugs"
"Nifty Idea you have there Caucasion!"
"Thank you Afro American, I thought it might be a profitable enterprise"
"Perhaps you would like to purchase this large sheathed knife I happen to have here to protect yourself from Law Enforcement Officers trying to intefere with your capitalistic goals?".......

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Niggers come in all colors.
AB
View Quote

"One more widow, one less white nigger"
----- Elvis Costello, Oliver's Army
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Noooo-
'cause there are niggers, and there are black people.
- at least according to Chris Rock.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#38]
These days the definition of a rascist is anyone who disagrees with a liberal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#39]
IMO:

Only if you're 'white' (no such thing as a purebred, I'm not).

The bigger issue black people make out of it, the bigger the insult.  Thus if someone's pissed off they call him/her a fu*king ni**er to provoke the desired level of insult (because he/she will take it that way).

I, on the other hand do not feel particularly offended by 'cracker', 'whitey', 'asshole', 'fatass', or any other insult anyone of any color decides to fling at me.  Sure, I get pissed, but what is this grade-school?  Why does everything come down to race, even when it's probably not consciously intended.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you are using "those words" (any of the fringe mentioned above), in a conversation, discussing the people that carry various "nicknames", then I don't really see it as making you a bad person
View Quote

I disagree.  That is what I would say defines a racist.  If you stand around the water cooler at work and talk about that new nigger they hired, you're likely a racist.  If that guy starts sleeping with your wife, turning the whole office against you, planting drugs on you and calling the cops, kicks your dog & keys your car, and when you finally have had enough and decide to lay into him and say "you're in for it now you fucking nigger", I don't think that makes you a racist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#41]
So let me get this straight...

I've been greeted by a friend (I'm caucasian he's black) "What's up nigga?" and took it as a term of familiarity.

If I said it to him back he would take it the same way.

If I said it to any other black person I'm not familiar with I'd be racist.

BTW - have more 'wiggers' and white trash here than any other 'minorities'.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are using "those words" (any of the fringe mentioned above), in a conversation, discussing the people that carry various "nicknames", then I don't really see it as making you a bad person
View Quote

I disagree.  That is what I would say defines a racist.  If you stand around the water cooler at work and talk about that new nigger they hired, you're likely a racist.  If that guy starts sleeping with your wife, turning the whole office against you, planting drugs on you and calling the cops, kicks your dog & keys your car, and when you finally have had enough and decide to lay into him and say "you're in for it now you fucking nigger", I don't think that makes you a racist.
View Quote

You mean I am a racist???

I am finding all sorts of neat stuff out about me this week.  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
.....As we approached the spot where they were standing, my date says to me "looks like nigger corner".
View Quote

Did you agree with her observation?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Does using the "N" word make you a racist?
View Quote
If it does, then I know a lot of racist black people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

And you've just bought into it.  By saying that you agree with the fact that she can say it and I can't.
View Quote

Not in the least do I agree with it, but I admit that this practice does exist. Up where I am, if you are labelled one of the four basic hate groups, i.e., anti-Semitic, homophobic, misogynistic or racist, one is socially dead.

And it's a charge almost impossible to unstick. The ultimate "tar baby", ironically enough. A bit like, "Hey, Joe, ya still beat yer wife?" kind of question- the minute it is uttered, no matter how many denials on the part of Joe, the question still hangs in the air, and nobody wants to associate with someone whom society sees as undesirable, even if Joe is pure and innocent as the driven snow.

Nobody will talk to you, although, indeed, they may be one or more of those things themselves, but hypocritically, they don't let on that they feel the same way you do. That's "guilty liberal" suburbia! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#47]
No sir!!!!!!!!!  Not at all.  Nigger is not a color........it's a lifestyle.  I know of several "white niggers".
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't know what it would make one,
but I for one just won't ever say it,

It's not a matter of "what will so and so think of me"

it's more of a matter of class,

would you want someone telling your mother what you said?

Someone (dennis leary maybe?)

once said,

I don't believe in racism, I can find all kinds of other reasons to hate people. like stupidity.

regardless your heritage is not something you can change, or something you can pick.
So to single that out among all their other traits... yes that makes you a racist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Just to be safe, the next time you feel the need to insult a black person, call them a "Honkey, Cracker, pussy lickn' bitch"

The shear sarcastic ironic twist should throw them for a loop!! I'm sure they'll know what you really mesn![:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top