Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like Tang.
View Quote

Prune flavored is my favorite.

I like a little Prune Tang every morning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#5]
They're Kung Fu was very strong.

Great story...thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Wu-Tang, baby. Shaolin shadowboxing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wu-Tang, baby. Shaolin shadowboxing.
View Quote

Actually Wu Dan (aka Wu Tang) has very little to do with Shaolin boxing methods. The Shaolin perfected the external styles such as Long Fist, 5 Animal and many Chi Gung methods.

The Wu Dan Temple perfected the internal styles which became TaiJi (aka Tai Chi - Chen Version), Hsing-I and BaGua (aka Pa Kua).
View Quote

Uh, thanks. You do know the Wu-Tang Clan is a musical group, don't you? Also, since you seem knowledgeble on the subject, I have an obscure story maybe you could identify for me. To make a long story short, a young, up-and-coming guy challenges an older(70s) monk in a public place. The older monk had been trying to avoid this confrontation. The old monk finally gets up, and with some sort of TaiJi move, hits him with his finger and paralyzes him for life. I forgot what they called the particular attack move. Does this ring a bell? I might have seen this on the History Channel. Is that stuff real? I know their training methods were crazy, like sparring on top of posts where there were spikes on the ground, etc. Anyway, just some questions maybe you could answer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Kung Pao.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Another interesting little tidbit of Shaolin lore, is that when the "old" head monk died or could no longer hold the position, the "New" head monk would perform one final act to show that he had attained a high enough skill level and was in harmony with his chi.
In the great prayer hall(don't know the name) he would stomp his heal-print into the stone floor. It is said that the heal-prints of all of the former head monks are still visible there.

I'd love to see that someday.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You want to hear another story?

When I was in college about 19-20 I took kung fu classes from a guy my friend had been learning from for about 4-5 years.  It was Shaolin kung fu, and the teacher, Sifu Hassan, was the son of Egyptian diplomats who sent him to the Shaolin temple to be trained as a monk.  After about a decade in the monastary, he moved to Alaska and started a school.

It was all praying mantis, tiger monkey forms and all that.  But mostly, intense calesthenics and acrobatics.  The advanced students were incredibly strong, and could do all these backflips, cartwheels, flying jumps and shit.  It was pretty impressive.  I got strong as hell from just a semester, I could do a hundred pushups, twenty pull-ups, I was in the best shape of my life.At the end of class, Sifu Hassan would give little lectures on Zen and Taoism.

But then something happened.  Sifu Hassan apparently lost his temper one night and beat up his wife and threatened her with a shotgun. He was arrested, and it turned out Sifu (a black guy) was a guy named Frank and he was from the Bronx.  He had strung his school along for years with his lie. I was only in for like a semester, but all these people looked up to and admired him like he was an enlightened sage.  He works at Habitat, a kitchen utensils shop in the mall, now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Why didn't they just get on their cell phones to call in hookers and air support?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Only gay guys kiddnap princes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Steyr has the best bed time stories! The last one was awesome too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#17]

How many bedtime stories has Steyr told?  I can only remember one other one a few months back, with a guy out in the woods shooting soldiers with his bow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top