Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 9:03:30 PM EDT
Its the end of the world as we know it, and you feel fine.  After all, like a good gun nut you've stocked up on the finer things in life.  But time is running short and your pre-ban assault wheelbarrow was in the shop at the worst possible time.  Therefore, you can take only one of these rifles with you.  You will be able to bring plenty of ammo, as much as you can carry, loaded in mags or stripper clips.  Each rifle is clean, lightly oiled, and sighted in pretty much as well as it can be.  Each rifle has been properly broken in and has given reliable service thus far (but under very clean conditions at the shooting range!).  You will have a very basic cleaning kit available to you in the field.  There will be no spare parts available if something breaks--if that happens you'll have to drop the rifle and make do with whatever you can find.  You have no idea what situations you and your rifle will be thrown into-- close quarters battle, house-to-house fighting, long range sniping, self defense, hunting for food, who knows?  And who knows where your campaign may take you--to the dry sandy desert, or the bitterly cold tundra?  You and your rifle of choice will have to be ready for anybody and anything.  

Time is running out, which one do you pick up?  Why?

From left to right:

Mauser M48
M1 Garand
Mosin Nagant M39
G3 clone
FAL STG58
AK 7.62x39
AK 5.45x39
DPMS M4

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Ak in 5.45. It would be hard to hunt with a larger caliber. THe rifle is simple to clean and maintain, and will last through just about anything.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
M1 garand
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Might take you awhile to come across someone with an AUG or USR, SteyrAUG.  But thanks for playing, man.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Got a scope for the G3? If not, is the 7.62x39 AK FA? If not, the FAL.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
SHTF Smorgasboard comes with everything you see here, batteries not included.  

Well, except on the M4, the red dot has fresh batteries but you won't get any more once they run out (it does have a GG&G flip up rear iron sight).

None of the guns are full auto, especially the bolt actions. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
FAL:Why[url]http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=cdf0918dbb5ae52f1b7a5554d22b7dd3&threadid=93319&highlight=old+dirty[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My first choice would be the M4. However your optics are battery powered, and DPMS has a problem with bolts cracking at the bolt cam pin hole.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice AR Duke!

your SAR2 would do nicely till I ran out of ammo so;.......damn this is hard!lol.......uhhhhhhhh

The AR:

For the ease of ammo replenishment factor alone makes the AR superior.
The other domestic calibers(30-06,.308)come in a close 2nd or might even tie.but domestic cartriges will be all that would be available to us for resupply and even that would be limited.

The AK's will most likely become useless,unless the lack of resupply of ammo can be resolved.(highly doubtful)

choose carefully.

choose wisely.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice AR Duke!

your SAR2 would do nicely till I ran out of ammo so;.......damn this is hard!lol.......uhhhhhhhh

The AR:

For the ease of ammo replenishment factor alone makes the AR superior.
The other domestic calibers(30-06,.308)come in a close 2nd or might even tie.but domestic cartriges will be all that would be available to us for resupply and even that would be limited.

The AK's will most likely become useless,unless the lack of resupply of ammo can be resolved.(highly doubtful)

choose carefully.

choose wisely.
View Quote

Aren't you supposed to kill for ammo?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say the 7.62 AK except for the ammo issue.  I would be prone to stick to NATO calibers so...

...I'll take the Garand for 500 Alex...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of ammo do you think that the people you kill will MOST LIKELY be carrying?foriegn or domestic calibers?

(don't say "the kind that works in the gun THEY are carrying",that's avoiding the question)
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of ammo do you think that the people you kill will MOST LIKELY be carrying?foriegn or domestic calibers?

(don't say "the kind that works in the gun THEY are carrying",that's avoiding the question)
View Quote

Well, assuming that the French and/or Germans remain true to form, I would say the most likely  opponent would be someone wielding a 7.62x39 weapon. After all, it is the end of the world and God knows the Euro-woosies won't be around.

CW
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
FAL, baby.  I'm very familiar and confident with them, they shoot NATO spec ammo, are reliable and I know how to maintain them.  Although they are heavy when carrying a full load, it has the best balance of long range capability, penetration and will kick a deer's ass if I need to hunt.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well, assuming that the French and/or Germans remain true to form, I would say the most likely  opponent would be someone wielding a 7.62x39 weapon. After all, it is the end of the world and God knows the Euro-woosies won't be around.

CW
View Quote

good point.It very well would most likely be the Chinese(who DO use 7.63x39)who invade so THAT would be a means of ammunition resupply.
In that instance the AK would shine.

I would be more than happy to kill for ammunition in that case.

PolPot would have been impressed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
MAC-DADDY, I just got the AR setup on Saturday from CMMG.  It hasn't even been function tested yet.  Yeay!  The red-dot is one of those $32 ones from Kiesler's-- I spent all my money on the flip-up rear sight!  The good news is, it actually co-witnesses even with the riser mount.

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20322[/url]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20324[/url]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20323[/url]

Oh yeah, and just to clarify, the type of SHTF is unspecified.  Could be anything from rioting homosexuals out to avenge Harvey Milk, to maurauding space aliens out to avenge Michael Jackson, to anything in between.  Maybe even G.W. Bush declaring himself Emperor of the World with the backing of the Supreme Court.  But of course you may choose your caliber based on your default guess of who or what has caused the SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, i will be shot for this but, has to be the sar 2. then would be the sar 1. to many visions of Red Dawn goign on. i dont think ammo would be the problem. would have to be a ak, that way all i need is a bore snake and some clp, and im set. plus not very heavy. Ronald
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Domestic caliber is a good choice.  223, 308 and 30.06 ... However, the Garand was designed with specific load characteristic in mind.  I doubt commercial 30.06 loads available today are compatible with the Garands operational parameters.  If the powder used burn much slower than the original spec, you are running the risk of bending your op-rod and rendering your Garand inoperable.  OTOH, if the powder used burns too fast the rifle will be short-cycling.

My pick will be a FAL, M4, AK (7.62) in that order.  The FAL gas system is adjustable so it can take a wider range of ammo variation.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Leave all you guns at home and simply call 911 if you get in to a bind!........[peep]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd take the FAL first.
.308 great all around round. Good for some hard cover penetration.

huh huh huh, I said penetration.

AK in 7.62 next, plenty of ammo around for that. Very reliable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I think all you all got it wrong! in a shtf scenario your gonna need camping supplys most of all, not guns! you'll need a fresh water supply, Food enough to eat three times a day and not just stupid venison! you'll need vegtables, grains, etc. you'll need basic medical supplys, you might need fuels of some sort like wood, gas, kerosene. the list goes on and on. Theres so much stuff you'll need just to stay alive firearms is only of last importance.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]
FAL
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Garand.  The reason is that it is the rifle I am most familiar with and most proficient with.

My second choice would be the FAL.  If your HK clone had been a factory HK91, I'd take it over the FAL, but I consider a DSA FAL somewhat more reliable than a clone HK, and if I'm on my own, with no parts, I'd have to go with that.  They Garand still trumps both of them, in my opinion however.  

In a SHTF situaiton, I'd still be reluctant to pick a 7.62x39, 5.56 or smaller caliber, and that might be because I was trained on the larger cartridge rifles (Garand and G-3) - but I'd MUCH rather be in a situation where I had too much penetration and range and didn't need it, than in a situation where I didn't have enough pentration and range but needed it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think all you all got it wrong! in a shtf scenario your gonna need camping supplys most of all, not guns! you'll need a fresh water supply, Food enough to eat three times a day and not just stupid venison! you'll need vegtables, grains, etc. you'll need basic medical supplys, you might need fuels of some sort like wood, gas, kerosene. the list goes on and on. Theres so much stuff you'll need just to stay alive firearms is only of last importance.  
View Quote

Sure, but what does that have to do with the current question?

Assuming you've got everything else set up, which one of these rifles would you pick?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#25]
AK,7.62x39mm would be my first choice. It's the most prolific rifle on the planet so you'd be bound to find ammo and mags for it somewhere. Second choice would be between the G3 and the FAL for about the same reason. 7.62x51mm is almost as easy to find world wide and mags should be availble even if their not plentiful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#27]
No scopes, only 5.56 is a short barrel.

I'll take the Garand; I can pick up anything else I need at my leisure.  In my environment long range punch would trump short and fast.

I already have as much ammo as I could carry; 320 on clips and another 800 in boxes.  200 of that 155 grain AMAX.  200 BT AP, the rest evenly split between M2 ball and SP.
Any commercial ammo under 160 grains will be fine, except for "light magnum" stuff.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ak in 5.45. It would be hard to hunt with a larger caliber. THe rifle is simple to clean and maintain, and will last through just about anything.
View Quote

Major ammo availability problems in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ak in 5.45.[bold][red] It would be hard to hunt with a larger caliber.[/bold][/red] THe rifle is simple to clean and maintain, and will last through just about anything.
View Quote

Major ammo availability problems in a SHTF situation.
View Quote

Correct you are,my friend.

Please explain to the class Exactly HOW it is "hard" to hunt with large calibers?

30-06?
.308?
7mmRemMag?
8mm?
30-30?
45-70?
7.62x54R?
.303?

I've NEVER had a problem hunting with ANY of the aforementioned calibers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

From the magnatude of people buying SKS's at the gun shows, I'd say 7.62x39 ammo would be available in abundance.
I'd probably want the STG. I see alot of .308 being sold also.
AB
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#31]
AR first, AK second
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm thinking...none of the above. Maybe just a 22 rifle like a 10/22 would suffice. Less likely to get yourself in a fight with one and more likely to conserve ammo. Besides, a 22 in the head equals a battle rifle in the hand.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#33]
The FAL.  And a big gob of that mold stuff growing on the wall.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Gotta go with the .308 and if I was limited to the weapons pictured it would be the FAL....BUT if I was able to choose from MY weapons, it would be the AR10.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Monkeyman, have you ever heard of a guy called [b]Imbroglio?[/b]

"He's coming after you with a .22 and a .38... that's all."

Pazzo:  I'm not sure but I think the mold could be used as a source of sustenance in an emergency.  Hooray for water damage!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Id take the AR. Mainly because 5.56 would be enough to stop and two or fourlegger creature around here, and I would be hard pressed to find a situation in which I would need to fire at more than 100 yards. ALso, sinceI live in a city, the shorter overall length will make it easier to get into and out of tight places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top