Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 4:11:19 PM EDT
Is this guy still doing car commercials while riding on the backs of exotic animals?

When growing up in California, I remember his commercials.

Just wondering if he's still around.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember him. He had a Ford dealership in WA state too. He used to say .."I'll eat a bug if you buy a car from me". He started selling Yugo's and probably got chased out of the state by the attorney general.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.calworthington.com/[/url]

That brings back a LOT of memories as a kid growing up in SoCal.  Those commercials were PACKED into late night TV.  Couldn't watch a couple of movies without seeing ol' Cal at least a few dozen times.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]

I remember when was here in Aztlan.

What a loon! [:D]

I will stand upon my head until my ears are turning red,
go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal.

[whacko]

Pretty funny though!

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!chased out of every state in the Nation....when you wanna buy a Car go see Cal Bhwaaa!I bet he's in Tiajuana selling VW's.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw one of his ads on TV a few weeks ago in Sacramento.  It was just him, no pig.  They used the same song but they didn't say "go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Call"
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw these commercials in the past in California.

The guy was a marketing genious because we are still talking about his commercials from 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh Cal is still around! His commercial are running now. He has dealerships in Southern California and one in Alaska
[url]http://www.calworthington.com/[/url]
[img]http://www.calworthington.com/home/caltiger.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Friends I'm Ralph Williams of Ralph Williams  Ford  --  led to   --

Hi Friends, I'm ???? Sales Manager of Ralph Williams Ford and this is my dog Storm  (and his big beautiful German Shepherd would jump on the car)

So Worthington who already had the Go See Cal ads on, so Worthington ran an ad of "Hi friends, I'm Cal Worthington and this is my dog Spot" and led a  baby elephant on and then went into a series of other animals (pigs, chimps, goats, anything he could get a leash on) calling all of them his dog Spot.  Cheap as crap ads but people would pay attention just to see what animal would come out in the ad.  And if you get people to watch cheap ass ads then you get sales.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I WOULD PAY MONEY NEVER TO HAVE TO ENDURE ANOTHER ONE OF HIS ADS.

It will be a cold day in hell before I step inside a Worthington Ford dealership.

The ads havent changed in at least 20 years.  Same old schtick, same lame assed accent, same bait and switch,...   Damn.  You would think he would have been run out of this state, like several other states, but not here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Cal Worthington was and is a marketing genius. What many of you may not know is he is very very pro gun, and an all around great guy.

If your looking for a better set of wheels "I will stand upon my head to beat all deals"

"If ya need a car or truck, if ya wanna save a buck, if ya wanna change your luck" Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see Cal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember the Elephant that set on the hood of a car in one of his adds.

I never did buy from him.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
To be run out of Kalifornia would be considered a compliment in most cases.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If I remember rite he was a pilot in world war II....I remember seeing his plane at the Sacramento executive airport.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah, now I remember where I saw the name...In the movie [i]Into The Night[/i], Jeff Goldblum is watching TV when a Cal Worthington commercial comes on. IIRC, it shows Worthington strapped to the top wing of a biplane as it goes into a slow roll –

Got to get that DVD – "Maybe you can tell me why I haven't been able to sleep lately..."
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Somebody should check out this guys history...he is a hero. (hint: Boeing/Sentimental Journey...)

I grew up in California and as a kid I remmember the T.V. ads and singing the song. [:D].

Edited to remove TMI

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
He has become a icon of southern california.

I remember those damn commercials from when I grew up in huntington beach (1981-97) hell Everytime I meet someone that lived in souther california we all remember those blasted commercials.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Last I heard of him was when Gray Davis was trying to triple the car tax.  He ran an ad against it, and PBS got all hot and bothered over it (How dare a business that would be most affected by the tripling of car tax be against it!)

Funny, I always thought his jingle was:
"pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow"
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#20]
He was also a major figure in the 1950s Southern California country music scene.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I remember rite he was a pilot in world war II....I remember seeing his plane at the Sacramento executive airport.
View Quote

B-17's, he won the Distinguished Flying Cross. His commercials have been a constant throughout my life. That Okie is probably the richest car dealer in America and he still dresses up in those awful suits and talks like a hick.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
[size=3]"I'll stand upon my head until my ears are turning red... go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!"[/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought he had passed away until he started the anti-car tax radio adds a few months back. He's gotta be pushin' 90.

I remember the craziest commercials from the 1970's; by the 90's I don't remember any exotic animals in them at all. Maybe he got mauled one too many times.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow!

I grew up in Southern California in the late 60's through the late 70's.

I'll never forget those ad's.

Whoever did them was a genius, seems alot of other people can't forget them either.

Like him or not, like the ad's or not, they worked. His name is known nationwide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top