Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 1:15:53 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105282,00.html

ATF Director to Head Music Industry's Anti-Piracy Efforts
Tuesday, December 09, 2003

WASHINGTON — The director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is leaving his post next month to lead the recording industry's efforts to stop music piracy.

Bradley A. Buckles, who served ATF for 30 years and was named director in 1999, will come head of the Anti-Piracy Unit of the Recording Industry Association of America, the trade group announced Tuesday.

"Brad's appointment should signal to everyone that we continue to take piracy, here and throughout the world, very seriously," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA's chairman and chief executive officer.

Over the past six months, RIAA has filed more than 380 copyright lawsuits against computer users its says are illegally distributing songs over the Internet. The RIAA also says music copyrights are increasingly threatened by easy-to-produce counterfeit compact disks.

Attorney General John Ashcroft praised Buckles for "the seamless transfer" of ATF from the Treasury Department to the Justice Department, which was part of the law creating the Homeland Security Department.

Buckles' retirement is effective Jan. 3. No replacement was immediately named.

RIAA means business this time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
and with a little help from their FBI buddies;

[img]http://userweb.suscom.net/~paulbritton/batffbi_files/image008.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought that was straight out of the Onion.  Checked the link and the article looks legit.

Man, we are living in 1984.

Screw those bastards - the whole industry - if they think they are getting a dime out of me.

[X]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They might aswell realize they will never stop file sharing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
This is just what we need. I guess I should be getting rid of Kazza now. Sigh. I suppose it's back to paying $18.00 for a CD that only has one or two good songs on it again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Well looky here, the RIAA have hired themselves a new asshat to try to stop piracy.[LOL][ROFL2][ROFL]

They'll never learn.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Lemme guess: Buckles will be the new "Czar" in the "War on 14-Year-Olds Who Download Metallica Songs." Great.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lemme guess: Buckles will be the new "Czar" in the "War on 14-Year-Olds Who Download Metallica Songs." Great.
View Quote

This looks like the perfect opportunity to photoshop the pic of that JBT with Elian Gonzalez.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The current distribution method for the music industry is a dinosaur.

If I was in that industry, I'd be in a complete panic. No longer will you be able to command twenty bucks for a 10 cent CD.

Does anyone know the actual cost to produce a Music CD, taking in account all the overhead?

We've created data CD's (interactive product catalogs) for clients in small quantities and even at a run of 5000 to 10,000, they came out less than a buck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The thing that kills me is, as fast as they are trying to stop file sharing, companies are coming out faster with easier ways for us to do it with. CD/DVD burners are just about standard with any new pc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The current distribution method for the music industry is a dinosaur.

If I was in that industry, I'd be in a complete panic. No longer will you be able to command twenty bucks for a 10 cent CD.

Does anyone know the actual cost to produce a Music CD, taking in account all the overhead?

We've created data CD's (interactive product catalogs) for clients in small quantities and even at a run of 5000 to 10,000, they came out less than a buck.
View Quote

But think of the homies, with their bling-blings and bitches and hos.  How can they afford all those ghetto essentials if a CD only cost $4.95?  Crystal champagne and Hummers (in both senses of the word) don't come out of the welfare office, don't you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top