Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 12:01:56 PM EDT
I saw a pair of pants that I know my woman would really love. So I asked her what size she wears, you know, waist/inseam.

She told me women don't measure their pants sizes in waist/inseam, that they use a different system .

The problem is these pants are sold with waist/inseam measurements.

So my question is, she tells me, "If they are made of stretchy material, get a size 8. If they don't stretch, then buy a size 10."

Anyways, could some of you guys with wives ask them for me if they know someone who wears a size 8 or 10 and what the corresponding waist/inseam measurement would be? It would be easiest to just have her try on the most comfortable ones, but for various reasons that's not feasible.

Thanks for any help!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I wouldnt go down that road. Let womenz buy thier own clothes. They have to do some ritual before they buy stuff. You know try them on and ask 5 other peoples opinion and then prance around in front of a mirror. Too much is involved for men to buy them something.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]

are we talking
(LA face with the Oakland booty)?

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
gift certificate
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Three words "Save the receipt"
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let us pray for our poor mis-guided brother.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you don't stand a chance in hell of coming out ahead here.

Not only is the size and trying-on a whole ritual in itself; but they can be a size 6 in one brand, a size 8 in another, and a size 10 in a third brand.

I vote gift certificate and recommend you give it to her right before you go out of town unless you want to experience the joy of shopping for women's clothes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
From my wife---
I will agree with the other men on this board. You will be damned if you do. You are asking for trouble when you buy your wife/girlfriend jeans or pants. If you buy too small of a size, it will only depress her because she won't be able to fit in them and if you buy her the correct size, she may start up with the "Am I fat?" questioning which I know all men hate. Trust me, this is one item you want your lady to shop for herself. If you are hell bent on buying them for her I will tell you that a size 8 is a 32 inseam and a size 10 is a 34 inseam. Keep in mind that there are about 2 dozens different cuts in jeans and it is the hardest piece of clothing for women to find a good fit in this is why I only own two pair. Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man I wouldnt go down that road. Let womenz buy thier own clothes. They have to do some ritual before they buy stuff. You know try them on and ask 5 other peoples opinion and then prance around in front of a mirror. Too much is involved for men to buy them something.
View Quote

Got to go with Bob on this ------- way to complicated to do , your on thin ice already.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife wears size 6 to 8, medium, 30x30.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
From the wife again,
Just to add to my last statement. I will give you an example of how hard it is for women to find a good pair of jeans. My best friend and I both wear a size 6 in jeans except she has a smaller waist and bigger hip area than I do so we can't wear the same type of jeans even though they are the same size. Trust me, jean shopping is an all day trip and she will have to ask 5 others how they look and prance around in front of the mirror. This is why I leave my hubby at home when I shop because I won't subject him to that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was 17 and sold clothes a girlfriend and her friend came to visit me at work.  They must have tried on every pair of pants in that store, but I wasn't allowed to see.  I guess she was embarrassed.

The whole time I worked there I didn't ever buy her or any other chicks clothes, and I never will.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
WARNING>>>>EJECT>>>>>EJECT

For God's sake, EJECT.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Women's sizes were made specifically to make it harder for you to find actual clothes that fit!  It's a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife usually takes a size 8 long(she's tall) but she just told me that she's never seen women's pants sold with inseam measurements.  I'd be careful on this one and first make sure that these are indeed women's pants?  The wife went on to say that usually her stuff is labeled with sizes and occasionally an L for long sizes.  Good luck
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WARNING>>>>EJECT>>>>>EJECT

For God's sake, EJECT.
View Quote

I must be on something....I mis-read that and had to do a double-take to make sure I hadn't ended up on some "other" board  [:D]

BUT....never buy women clothes.....if you insist, go the safe(er) route -- gift certificates.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just ask her,"How fat are you?".  Be prepared to run like hell![brick]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to know a girl with that phrase tattooed on  her, er, welllll

wait a minute, maybe it said "Slippery when wet" [lol]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Gift certificate is the route to go. dont ever buy women clothes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
And they start this ritual damn young. Part of my job as a JROTC instructor in a high school is to fit about 150 kids in uniforms each year.
Walk three guys in the supply room, 45 minutes later three guys walk out with a complete class A, class C, hats, overcoats, field jackets, shoes, socks, T shirts, boots, and ties. Take two girls in there and its a two day fight. They think they have a God given right to try on everything hanging in there.  After doing this for six years I've learned to walk in the room with the girls, ask them how old they are and do they know how to dress themselves. Then after telling them what they need I leave and lock the door behind me with instructions to tell me when they are through. Females are much harder to fit. Its more than a "does it fit" like with a guy, its a "I have to feel good about it" thing. Answer is a gift certificate.

rk
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gift certificate is the route to go. dont ever buy women clothes.
View Quote

i concur
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
You people...this is my woman, so obviously she is not a "normal" girl.

If I wanted advice on what gift to buy her I would have asked for it.

I am just trying to figure out what size pants she wears, not how to handle her.  I do just fine with that on my own.

I know some womens, you can't buy clothes for them my last girlfriend was like that.  This one is different.

The pants I am buying for her are wool "combat pants" from the Surplus store.  They are utilitarian.  She works outdoors alot and likes cargo pants because she has to carry lots of gear and shit for her job.  So I am gonna get her these durable wool pants with the cargo pockets that are a drab grey and she will love me all week long for thinking of her.  That is the type of woman I am dealing with.

So I ask again...she wears a size 8/10 and she's about 5'7" or 5'8" tall.  Do any wives or girlfriends or any of our female members have suggestions for a size to get?  I suppose I could call her and ask her waist measurement.

I would just have her try them on herself but she is out of the country now and I am gonna be buying a bunch of gear all at once from the surplus store.  Usually I go in there and haggle a better price for myself and when I buy a lot of money's worth I can cut better deals.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
That's about a 30"-32" waist and 30" inseem.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Just grab a pair of her favoite pants out of the laundry or closet and measure them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
You people...this is my woman, so obviously she is not a "normal" girl. [red] concur not normal [/red]

If I wanted advice on what gift to buy her I would have asked for it. [red] hunh? I thought you did [/red]

I am just trying to figure out what size pants she wears, not how to handle her. I do just fine with that on my own.  [red] and you came here for help anyway???[/red]

I know some womens, you can't buy clothes for them my last girlfriend was like that. This one is different.

The pants I am buying for her are wool "combat pants" from the Surplus store. They are utilitarian. She works outdoors alot and likes cargo pants because she has to carry lots of gear and shit for her job. So I am gonna get her these durable wool pants with the cargo pockets that are a drab grey and she will love me all week long for thinking of her.

[blue] Get them long and let her hem them. Tell her you wanted to make sure they looked right length with the work foot wear. There is no good correlation between mens sizes and womens sizes. [/blue]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Google or the internet in general have a wealth of information if you do not want to here random feedback.

See:
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_45560_10785_10193_5:view=59,00.html?sid=4769082321100116180 and click on sizing

or

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=17900&parentCategory=3607&cat4=1028&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa1028 and click on sizing

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
If they are unisex pants, you can't buy them to match the measurements of a woman's waist because her hips come out more.  You have to find a happy medium.  A dress size 14 is around a 34" pants size.  I think you would be safe with buying her 30" waist.  If she's 5'7"-5'8", you should probably go with a 30" inseam.  Since you are buying unisex clothes and not womens' clothes, you shouldn't see all the variation in sizes that people are talking about.  You always have the option of exchanging them if the size isn't perfect.  

As a woman, I'd definitely appreciate the effort of trying to figure out what to get rather than a gift certificate.  Definitely some brownie points to be had there.

So 30 waist, 30 inseam, 'k?  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#30]
size 10 huh... that means dump her.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#31]
From years ago working in a mens jeans store...To convert a womans size in jeans to a mans size take her size(10) and add 21, that gives you a size 31 in mens.If she's between a 8 and a 10 I'd get her a size 30 mens.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#32]
The only clothes you should be buying her is lingerie, and possibly shoes with 6" heels.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#33]
just sneeak a peek at the tags in the laundry hamper or in the closet while she's in the head.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Depends.  Does her ass look fat?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#35]
The only clothes I buy my wife are a Secret....Victoria's Secret. And it doesn't matter...they don't stay on very long anyway.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#36]
last time I was dragged into a department store by a female I learned that not only do they not use actual measurements, but a size 4 from one brand might be equal to a size 6 from another brand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top