Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 7:08:44 AM EDT
We got a confusing letter from the IRS this week. My wife just got off the phone with the IRS, & it seems they had a system breakdown, & now it is imperative that I send in my 2001 tax returns "AGAIN" ASAP. My family has enough going on right now without the dumba$$'$ at the IRS making more expense, & time consuming work for us.
Is it legal of them to make such a demand of us?
They told my wife they needed to refile as if it were never filed. We have been making payments on our 2002 taxes' & the letter stated they have received all our payments with no tax return.
We have our taxes professionally filed every year without fail, & now this stupid garbage.
I heard income tax is unconstitutional anyhow.
This really makes me angry. They made a mistake, & now were under the pressure of sending in our 2001 tax return asap again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Climb up the chain of command, asking questions.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Don't forget those guys carry guns and they have to go home safe every night too.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got back from checking the calendar and realized that my 2003 tax returns are coming up.

I'd say that your 2001 returns are indeed due ASAP.  I am guessing that you have a special circumstance?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, when dealing with the IRS, we are guilty until proven innocent.  Since you filed for 2001 and use a professional tax service, you should be able to retrieve the records and present them to our Masters at the IRS.

Go read the 16th Amendment - "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

However, there is an abundance of information suggesting the 16th Amend was not properly ratified, but the Fed Gov refuses to hear the formal grievances of the People.  They don't care, and why should they.  They got the guns, the legal system, and the media.  We are OWNED.  We are slaves to the IRS.

BTW, I'd get a goooooood tax lawyer...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just got back from checking the calendar and realized that my 2003 tax returns are coming up.

I'd say that your 2001 returns are indeed due ASAP.  I am guessing that you have a special circumstance?
View Quote

The special circumstance is that they were filed, but the IRS told us they had a system break down, & now they can't find them, so we need to make a copy of them, resign them, & send them in. The payment was credited for them when they were originally filled. We always file by the deadline. They were filed. Now there lost by the IRS not us.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, when dealing with the IRS, we are guilty until proven innocent.  Since you filed for 2001 and use a professional tax service, you should be able to retrieve the records and present them to our Masters at the IRS.

Go read the 16th Amendment - "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

However, there is an abundance of information suggesting the 16th Amend was not properly ratified, but the Fed Gov refuses to hear the formal grievances of the People.  They don't care, and why should they.  [red]They got the guns[/red], the legal system, and the media.  We are OWNED.  We are slaves to the IRS.

View Quote

And we don't?!![;D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
good luck
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
When dealing with the IRS, get everything in writing. Do not count on any verbal communication as being true or correct. I have been struggling with the IRS on a similar issue at my business, in which the IRS claims that we did not file a particular quarterly statement. The funny (well, not so funny) part is that we always send these in by certified mail, return receipt. They were not impressed whatsoever when we produced USPS verification that we had indeed sent the return. They merely claimed that all the USPS certification could prove was that we sent [i]something[/i] to them, not that we actually filed the return. Nit-wits.

On a related note, there is a fairly major IRS training facility in my office building. They have 1 1/2 floors of the building, yet there is no signage to indicate that they're here. Judging by the typical appearance and general demeanor of the average IRS trainee I see come and go from the building, the IRS in not particularly landing our best and brightest to occupy cubicles.

Further to the story, the first Mrs. DzlBenz's mother worked for the IRS, in the Criminal Investigation division. At the time, the early to mid eighties, almost all of her investigatory work was on professional athletes. It seems that a lot of these guys were getting paid millions and never filing returns, or filing bogus returns through offshore shell corporations. The IRS always strives to resolve all disputes with a settlement, and more often that not, that's exactly how disputes work out. It is the very rare case in which an IRS dispute actually makes it to court, before a jury.

There is a lot of folklore and outright untruth that is propagated regarding the filing of income taxes, ranging from arguments that the 16th Amendment was never ratified to arguments that only foreign corporations are required to pay income tax. Most, if not all, of these arguments are thin enough to read a 1040 through, and are based on oft-contradictory but overlapping assumptions and spurious interpretations. One fact about the IRS is an unmitigated truth, though: the division has virtually unlimited power to exercise its authority, and is generally accountable to no one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, there is an abundance of information suggesting the 16th Amend was not properly ratified, but the Fed Gov refuses to hear the formal grievances of the People.  They don't care, and why should they.  [red]They got the guns[/red], the legal system, and the media.  We are OWNED.  We are slaves to the IRS.

View Quote

And we don't?!![;D]
View Quote

Of course we do!  But without the legal system and the media, ANYONE who steps onto the two way shooting range with the IRS is going to lose EVERYTHING.

Remember, it was a TAX issue that caused Ruby Ridge and Waco to happen.  The media put the spin about white separtists and religious fanatics.  Women and CHILDREN were killed in cold blood as a result
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Well Searcher, you know what to do.

Go to your "professional" preparer and get a copy, sign it, and send it in.

It isn't a matter of what's right, it's a matter of who's got the power to cause you grief.

Sorry, but that's the bottom line.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We got a confusing letter from the IRS this week. My wife just got off the phone with the IRS, & it seems they had a system breakdown, & now it is imperative that I send in my 2001 tax returns "AGAIN"
View Quote

My question is why are they looking at a 2001 tax return [b]again[/b]?  The 'system breakdown' excuse sounds fishy.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
....I heard income tax is unconstitutional anyhow....
View Quote

Right, just quit paying it. F*ck 'em![;D]
(You might get more phone calls and some other surprises, though.)

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#13]
There is evidence to suggest that the 16th Amendment was never properly ratified, and even if it were, it just applies to those that live in D.C. and US possessions such as Guam, PR, and AS.

But that is another thread.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We got a confusing letter from the IRS this week. My wife just got off the phone with the IRS, & it seems they had a system breakdown, & now it is imperative that I send in my 2001 tax returns "AGAIN"
View Quote

My question is why are they looking at a 2001 tax return [b]again[/b]?  The 'system breakdown' excuse sounds fishy.  
View Quote

I don't think they are looking at it again, as much as they claim they can't find one. I believe it was wrapped around the payment check they have a receipt for, & have acknowledged.
I don't know if it sounds fishy, but it does sound like I'm going to have to fix their mistake by refiling it with them. I's not a huge deal, or expense. It's just irritating, & causes an expense for "me" non the less, that I shouldn't have to mess with because of their sloppy procedures.

I agree Old Painless. I better do as I'm told for I get a whippin from my Uncle Sam. I will redo my chores like it or not.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like you could just send them a copy of the original return.

Granted, you shouldn’t have to straighten out their mistakes!

Anyway, if this is a major problem, you could try contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service (whish is a part of the IRS) at: [url]www.irs.gov/advocate/index.html[/url].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top