Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 4:16:14 PM EDT
I purchased a rifle from the E.E The person I bought it from happens to be an FFL and is from another state. When I opened the case, my FFL says I cannot have my rifle until I get a signed copy of the previous owners FFL. Is this correct, or this guy messing with me, or am I misinformed?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it's an out of state transfer, the receiving FFL holder must have a signed copy of the sender's FFL. No Xerox copies or faxes. Must be signed in ink and snail-mailed.

If you (as a non-FFL holder) were to sell a gun to someone out of state you would need to send it to an FFL holder in that person's area, and it would behoove you to get a copy of that guy's FFL.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
if he were to have bought the rifle from a private individual then the private individual would have shipped the rifle to his FFL and everything would have been fine

why now, since the seller is also an FFL, is his FFL also required?

granted, the shipping FFL must have the other FFL on file or he can not ship the rifle, but when the rifle is already at the receiving FFL i dont see the problem, put the guys company info in your bound book as where the gun came from, fill out your own paperwork and send the gun to its new home................

please correct me if im wrong, im new at this
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
THE ABOVE IS TRUE. In the last two years I've sent a handgun to my brother in MO and a rifle to the GF's brother in KY. This process really cannot be speeded up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If the transaction is between two FFLs, they are to exchange copies of their license. If the sender fails to provide one, my examiner says to not sweat it as I am not in violation. Suggests I log info from the invoice, if any, and keep the shipping label available, but not to worry.
View Quote

thats what im thinking..........however, i wasn't aware that the sender was even supposed to send a copy of their FFL as well.  certainly no reason to keep a man who payed the extra expense for next day shipping away from his gun for days.  

my offer still stands, if the old sonofabitch will transfer the gun to me then i'll do the paperwork for you.  ill let you know when i get it
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
While it is common courtesty between FFLs to swap licenses it is not required in any way. The only requirement is for the shipping FFL to receive a copy of the receiving FFL's license not the other way around.

Do you really think that when we as FFL dealers order from Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Olympic Arms, or any other manuf. or distributor that they the seller provides us with a copy of the license. It just does not work that way.

Both FFL dealer can run thier business the way they see fit. You can have your rifle sent to another FFL local to you to do the transfer for you, or you can ask the sending FFL to provide a copy of thier license.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice. That is what I was hoping. Now what do I do to get my rifle from him? He already seems to be causing problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top