Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 12:03:23 PM EDT
What the hell is wrong with kids these days?  He is a world class swimmer, qualified for the US Olympic team, but quit training and dropped out of highschool. He decides maybe the army will improve his life. so he enlist, gets a sweetheart deal SWIMMING! Gets bored with it, quits training, and joins a light armor unit.  Deploys to Iraq. After a couple engagements he tells his CO he cant handle the violence, so they are throwing him out.

This kid has good parents, amazing god given talent (genetics, and he has thrown away every opportunity given to him.

His families resposnse is "We just want him back in the US."

when I talked to him about it I got the "It's not like Desert Storm and Somalia were.."

He's right, we didnt have Email & Cell phones to call home and cry whenever we wanted.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
hell, ususally the answer is "go to the millitary" when you need to find some direction.

he's done the millitary and managed to screw that up....whats to do after that?

what kind of discharge did he get?

send him to france
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
He's a waste of "good" genes.  Tell this punk that he's a waste of life and he should follow through on something for once in his life.  Tell his parents they are facilitators to their son's failures and they should be ashamed.  These kids are the future of America.[:(]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
send him to france
View Quote

That's an excellent idea. maybe I can convince him he needs to backpack across Europe to "find himself".  At least I wont have to see him on Holidays and family reunions that way. Of course his family thinks I'm being insensitive. But he's the first coward I ever met. Everyone else in my family who has served did so honorably.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He's a waste of "good" genes.  
View Quote

No shit!  Can you imagine being good enough at anything to make the US Olympic team and then chose not to compete? Sorry kid, you owe it to your family, coaches, and trainers at this point! Get yer ass back in the pool!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Holy cow.  What kind of discharge is this kid getting?  Anything other than "honorable" he really is screwing his life up bigtime.  Good luck getting a worthwhile job anywhere as a high school dropout and a bad service record.  

Maybe he can get a transfer to the Coast Guard and put his swimming talents to good use and not swrew up his life.  

Otherwise on the plane back he can practice the phrase "you want fries with that?"  On second thought, he'll have the rest of his life to perfect it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Kids in modern American culture have been taught by the school systems, the media, etc that they are not required to be responsible persons. Apparently it doesn't "feel good" to this kid so he chose not to "do it".

He's a product of modern day American values.

USMC 88-92 0311 Desert Storm
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Better find a Psych to put him on drugs before he finds his own way there.

Really.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
W-W,
You can say that again.

oh wait, you just did.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The day will come when this young man finally reaches maturity and awareness of real values:  courage, the brotherhood of man, of overcoming fear, and of love of your fellow warrior more than your life itself.  On that day, he will deeply regret his cowardly acts.  This is a deep stain that he will live painfully with for the rest of his days.

This came to mind as I was reading the thread...with all due respect to the Bard...
Henry V's famous speech to his troops just before the Battle of Agincourt.

What's he that wishes so?
   My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
   If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
   To do our country loss; and if to live,
   The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
   God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
   By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
   Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
   It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
   Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
   But if it be a sin to covet honour,
   I am the most offending soul alive.
   No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
   God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
   As one man more methinks would share from me
   For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
   Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
   That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
   Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
   And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
   We would not die in that man's company
   That fears his fellowship to die with us.
   This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
   He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
   Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
   And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
   He that shall live this day, and see old age,
   Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
   And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
   Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
   And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
   Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
   But he'll remember, with advantages,
   What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
   Familiar in his mouth as household words-
   Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
   Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
   Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
   This story shall the good man teach his son;
   And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
   From this day to the ending of the world,
   But we in it shall be remembered-
   We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
   For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
   Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
   This day shall gentle his condition;
   And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
   Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
   And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
   That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
View Quote

It is too bad...he will long regret this foolish action.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
W-W,
You can say that again.

oh wait, you just did.
View Quote

Digital Dyslexia.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like he is missing a serious bitch slap to knock him into reality.

He didn't want the easier life of competitive swimming?  He didn't want it easy swimming in the miliotary while others are dieing in combat?

He calls home saying "I din't like it here" WAA!

He has been given every chance, and I'd let him loose on his own without ANY help and see just how hard things are when there isn't everybody holding your hand.

Kind of what giacutter said.  He needs to see exactly how saying "Do you want fries with that" a few million times does to his motivation.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kids in modern American culture have been taught by the school systems, the media, etc that they are not required to be responsible persons. Apparently it doesn't "feel good" to this kid so he chose not to "do it".

View Quote

An that sums it up perfectly.  Probably never had anything that he wanted badly enough to hang in there for.  Probably has always been one of those that get a free pass from everyone they meet.

I can't believe that the Army on this one.  "Can't handle the volence?"  WTF?!?  You joined THE FUCKING ARMY YOU ASSWIPE.  You know, the one with M-16's and those big 'ol tanks and shit that goes "BOOM"!

This is what the Army gets when they make it look like when you join you're going to be some REMF running a video game console.

He's going to end up being a leech on someone's tit (probably .gov).

Waste of skin.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Slacker.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Kids like this make me ashamed to be young. i think that we need to make our youth take onmore responsibilty for thier actions. i also believe that we need to start knocking them around more. I cant immagine the beating I would have gotten from my parents for one of the aforementiond offenses.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This came to mind as I was reading the thread...with all due respect to the Bard...
Henry V's famous speech to his troops just before the Battle of Agincourt.

View Quote

Ah LWilde....that's my favorite of all Shakespeare's soliloquies......it always brings a tear to my eye....thanks for quoting it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Slacker.
View Quote

Coward
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the next thing you're going to hear from him is that he's coming out of the closet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
FRANCE!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The day will come when this young man finally reaches maturity and awareness of real values:  courage, the brotherhood of man, of overcoming fear, and of love of your fellow warrior more than your life itself.  On that day, he will deeply regret his cowardly acts.  This is a deep stain that he will live painfully with for the rest of his days.

(snip)It is too bad...he will long regret this foolish action.
View Quote

Naaah- I doubt it, and here's why: we live in a society which allows all to "find their own way" and find their own rules. Nothing is absolutely right or wrong, only one's feelings are important. Consequences be damned, esp. if it involves other people. As long as he gets a college education, has lots of mom+dad support {read: money), he'll get some fake job in an office somewhere, hang out with other just as fake people, be married to (and divorce) a fake wife (if he doesn't turn gay in the meantime....), have equally whiney suburbanite offspring who espouse the same crap as he does, and he'll never have to be called to account for his cowardice or failure, because he'll be living in a cushioned unreal suburban existence, probably in some development somewhere, in which the state of one's lawn is more important than one's character or values. He'll probably blame George Bush for any problems he might have.

How do I know this? This asshat-weenie sounds just like a lot of my poxy suburbanite liberal neighbors here in suburban development-land, AKA Massachusetts......
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 These kids are the future of America.[:(]
View Quote

no, 'kids' like me are, when i'm [s]dictator[/s] President i will quickly dispell all the weaklings
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Goddamned slacker.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
A cry baby indeed. Sounds like a spoiled little brat as well. He may have good parents, as in, they try to be good parents but they are really contributing to his behavior.

He'll probably be one of those people that is still leeching off of mommy and daddy even when he's 40 something. That is, if he continues on this path and doesn't wake the fuck up and live in the real world.

How old is he anyway?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Tell him some guy on the internet called him a goddamned pussy.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the next thing you're going to hear from him is that he's coming out of the closet.
View Quote

I was kind of thinking that too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like Taliban Johnnies parents...

Exterminate all of them before they reproduce more.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm guessing this clown never had to really work hard for anything in his life.  Even swimming, since it was a talent he had, wasn't hard, until he got to the Olympic team and they expected him to push himself.  

I'd also bet he quit high school right about the time the classes started getting too hard for him to do well without doing a lot of homework.

And, I'm guessing he was in good physical shape, so boot camp wasn't that tough on him, and he quit the Army swim team right about the time they wanted him to push himself for the good of the team.

But when people started trying to KILL him in Iraq, he started to notice that maybe he should finally be serious about something, i.e., saving his own butt.  All other things (like honor and respect) are secondary to that goal. And, since shame is a concept long out of favor in this country, it's okay to cut and run in the face of danger, and leave your buddies with a hole to fill in their platoon, becuase you were scared.  

His parents have reaped what they have sown.  They handed him every opportunity and refused to make him work for anything, and now they are enabling him even more.

I know what Patton would have done with this guy....[frag]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]That[/b] would surprise me. He's a world class swimmer. Women are drawn to him like fly's on shit. Which is just one more thing the world has handed to him on a silver platter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are you people so damn negative?  This kid is ONE EXAMPLE who is remarkable precisely because his level of wussiness is so rare!  For this one whiny little bitch to come home and be discharged, how many more Americans are over there honorably serving the US government and serving as COUNTEREXAMPLES to this pool pansy?

Sheesh, you hear one story about a messed up kid and conveniently forget all the good people in this country.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a lot of good kids out there, a few of my relatives are great examples of having direction and being responsible young adults.

This kid has issues, something is on his mind, best to find out now and be supportive.  Counseling might help, if he's ready to talk.

He'll kick himself in the ass later about not taking advantage of the swimming.  I was a great soccer player growing up but let my pride and ego get in the way.  WTF, I knew everything anyhow, right?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are you people so damn negative?  This kid is ONE EXAMPLE who is remarkable precisely because his level of wussiness is so rare!  For this one whiny little bitch to come home and be discharged, how many more Americans are over there honorably serving the US government and serving as COUNTEREXAMPLES to this pool pansy?

Sheesh, you hear one story about a messed up kid and conveniently forget all the good people in this country.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Ouch! True, true. But out him to his local newspaper, and see what they say...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Another poor me, self-centered, lazy, overprivledged prick.  He'll make a great democrat one day.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
What a POS!!!!  He doesn't need to be Chaptered out, thats too nice.  Sounds to me like he needs some "Leadership & Direction" straight from FM 22-102 WALL-TO-WALL COUNSELING!!!  Put him on $hitburning detail, that job matches his abilities!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top