Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 11:38:00 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting one of those KA-BAR military knives for hunting, fishing, camping, and general purpose use (it looks cool too).

Is it a good choice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Having spent over 15 years in the Corps, my advise is a bit biased.

There are better quality knives....But you pay a LOT more for that quality.

The USMC KA-BAR fighting knife is tough to beat for the price.  I've still got mine, and I also have the one my grandfather carried in WWII.

I like them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I still have mine and always have it on me when hunting/camping/hiking. The sheath's starting to erode, though, and the insignia is fading. Anyway, good knife, you can buy better, but it's definitely serviceable. Oh yeah, and it does look cool.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have my Ka-Bar from my service days. It's a good knife and represents a history that can't be beat. Get one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Which is preferred?  Leather or Kydex handle?  Leather or Kydex sheath?  Straight or half-serrated blade?

Questions questions questions! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of getting a serrated blade in anticipation of working with big game.  Also, I suspect the leather would get soiled the first time I gut something, so I am looking at kydex.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I like mine!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The great thing about a K Bar, is that if you lose one, you can afford to replace it.
I remember my Platoon leader getting back in from a recon patrol, and his Randall was not in his sheath. It fell out in the boonies. He was not a happy camper. The best knife is not always the best knife to have. (Does that make any sense?)[:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
There are better quality knives....But you pay a LOT more for that quality.
View Quote

After breaking three K Bars, I went to a better knife. I use them as a tool, not an art object, never regreted spending the x tra bucks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The great thing about a K Bar, is that if you lose one, you can afford to replace it.
I remember my Platoon leader getting back in from a recon patrol, and his Randall was not in his sheath. It fell out in the boonies. He was not a happy camper. The best knife is not always the best knife to have. (Does that make any sense?)[:D]
View Quote

[b]NO[/b]
Shit happens
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I like them, I have the plain/serrated one. The steel alloy for the knife is a 1095 med. carbon spring steel, the same stuff they use for road grader blades, springs etc. Pretty tough stuff. I have a Cold Steel Recon but it weighs twice as much as the Ka-bar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
good choice, i have almost all of the models, even the stainless, serrated, black handle, and kydex sheath, really cool, but i think the favorite is the all black, kydex sheath, serrated blade, rubber handle, all black
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used the SpecPlus Marine, an Ontario Cutlery KA-BAR knockoff, as a field knife for years.  Never had a problem, and if I break it a new one is $30.  The only thing else I would suggest for a general purpose field knife would be a Cold Steel factory second.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
METT-T: I have one of those Cold Steel factory 2nds. Good knives. I bought it straight from Lynn Thompson at the now-defunct Great Western Gun Show, Pomona, CA. Lynn says the the only difference between his 2nds is that the is a tiny imperfection in the straightness of the blade, but dang, I personally couldn't see it. AND it does not have the Cold Steel's life time guarantee. He said that the knives are heat-treated just like his 1st line knives. I paid  $80 for an 8" Bowie knife. It razor sharp. But then it wieghs nearly twice as much as a Ka-bar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought mine first year as a Marine, had and used it hard for 16+ yrs so far.
And as earlier stated, no better value for the price.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/mar/kabarprofile.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
a KaBar might be a tad large for fishing, and hunting smaller animals, if you ever do that
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
another good knife is the SEAL diver's knife it
costs a little more but it isnt too expensive.
I forgot what it is called? it has a "bowie"
style blade like a Kabar with a checkered black
synthetic handle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#17]
You might want to take a look at Becker Knife and Tool knives.  Very good knives for the money and tougher than a KBar.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top