Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 10:13:36 AM EDT
When you listen to Toby Keith's song, "American Soldier"...how do you feel?

Me, I feel proud and sad. Proud that there are people willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to protect me, and sad and angry that I was not allowed to be one of them.

Lyrics:
I'm just trying to be a father
Raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother
Everything to everyone
Up and at 'em, bright and early
I'm all business in my suit
Yea, I'm dressed up for success
From my head down to my boots

I dont do it for the money
There's bills that I can't pay
I don't do it for the glory
I just do it anyway
Providing for our future's my responsibility
Yea I'm real good under pressure
Being all that I can be

And I can't call in sick on mondays
when the weekends been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays
And sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready when the wolf growls at the door
Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady, hey, I'm true down to the core

And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh, and I dont want to die for you
but if dyin's asked of me
i'll bear that cross with honor
cause freedom dont come free

I'm an amiercan soldier, and american
beside my brothers and my sisters i will proudly take a stand
when liberty's in jeopardy i will always do what's right
i'm out here on the front lines
sleep in peace tonight
american soldier i'm an american soldier

Yeah an american soldier, and american
beside my brothers and my sisters i will proudly take a stand
when liberty's in jeopardy i will always do what's right
i'm out here on the front lines
sleep in peace tonight
american soldier i'm an american
An american
an american soldier
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Keith, what a dope-smoking fag. I can't believe he's making money off our country's recent conflicts with all these "patriotic" war songs. Or maybe it's just that country music sucks. That's probably it. Sorry, Keith.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
MountainMan,

Do you know something I don't about Keith?  He seems like a pretty darn nitty gritty hick to me with some real patriotic pride.  Don't bash the dude just cause he can come up with some patriotic songs.  I mean what are ya sayin'... how dare someone write a patriotic song and share it with the world!  Yea, what a bastard for doin' that.  Instead he should be bashing the country like the Dixie Chicks or just sitting in the background letting liberals walk all over the airwaves with their liberal BS.

I have to disagree unless you know something I don't.  Did he on an interview say he doesn't really care about 9-11 or that he was just doin' it for the money or something?  If that's the case than I'm gonna be PO'd, but if you're just bashing him cause he came up with something patriotic and made money off of it, I can't bash the dude for that.  He shares his songs, be glad they aren't liberal ones.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Toby Keith is one of the best!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MountainMan,

Do you know something I don't about Keith?  He seems like a pretty darn nitty gritty hick to me with some real patriotic pride.  Don't bash the dude just cause he can come up with some patriotic songs.  I mean what are ya sayin'... how dare someone write a patriotic song and share it with the world!  Yea, what a bastard for doin' that.  Instead he should be bashing the country like the Dixie Chicks or just sitting in the background letting liberals walk all over the airwaves with their liberal BS.

I have to disagree unless you know something I don't.  Did he on an interview say he doesn't really care about 9-11 or that he was just doin' it for the money or something?  If that's the case than I'm gonna be PO'd, but if you're just bashing him cause he came up with something patriotic and made money off of it, I can't bash the dude for that.  He shares his songs, be glad they aren't liberal ones.
View Quote

Naw, I was just playin'. I hate modern "country" music, but I do like some of his songs and the fact that he rejects that whole Nashville side of country music. You know, the cookie-cutter, we-own-you-and-your-music stuff. That and he has publicly flamed the Dixie Chicks to the extent that Natalie whatever her name is wore a F.U.T.K. shirt at one of her shows. Damn, bitch, was it that bad? I hope so, you treasonous tramps. I also like that he hangs with Willie. Cool dude. So, in short, yes, I like TK and what he's doing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm, the troll is back...

Maybe they did come with us from pre-ban. At least one of them anyway.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Naw, I was just playin'. I hate modern "country" music, but I do like some of his songs and the fact that he rejects that whole Nashville side of country music. You know, the cookie-cutter, we-own-you-and-your-music stuff. That and he has publicly flamed the Dixie Chicks to the extent that Natalie whatever her name is wore a F.U.T.K. shirt at one of her shows. Damn, bitch, was it that bad? I hope so, you treasonous tramps. I also like that he hangs with Willie. Cool dude. So, in short, yes, I like TK and what he's doing.
View Quote

Thanks for clearin' that up.  I was starting to get worried that Toby had fooled me or somethin' and was a fake about all his music.  I'd be so PO'd if that were the case.

I don't know much about the Nashville country music evil you're referring to.  I just listen to the music, but you've got me wonderin' now.  Is it any worse than the other type of music biz's or is it just corrupt like rock/alternative, etc. is?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
He gets point from me, and mine, for his bulldog.  He is pictured with it in his CD liner notes, on the new CD.  I assume it is his dog...

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
He seems to be the real deal.  He says he wasn't planning on recording "Courtesy of the Red White & Blue" but that when he was doing USO tours and playing it everyone said he should.  He has spent a lot of his own time performing for our soldiers abroad, and since Bob Hope is gone we need people like that.

Besides, all his bar/drinking songs are as funny as his pro-soldier songs are moving.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The last two years running I've been going to his concerts and it is a freakin HOOT!!! Talk about CHICKS!!!!! Hot damn its a ton of fun... I'm with you on the "Proud that there are people willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to protect me, and sad and angry that I was not allowed to be one of them." I got asthma and was frickin denied from the Marines and Army. OH WELL! Life goes on I guess....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like Toby Keiths songs. He's done more for our troops than the Dixie Ho's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top