Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 10:07:25 AM EDT
Apparently I was part of a class action lawsuit that I didn't even know about, or at least I got to reap the rewards of said lawsuit.

This is the first time I can think of that I've came into money that I never knew I had coming. The letter that arrived with the check explained that Citibank had been overcharging on finance charges. A settlement agreement had been reached in the class action suit Schwartz v. Citibank.

What should I buy first? A single round of 9mm, or maybe a piece of gum (not the expensive stuff)? What do you think?

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
[ROFL2]

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago - got a check for $30 for some class-action thing against my mortgage company or something.

It's ironic that
(1) the lawyers in your case probably made millions
(2) they probably spent more than 17 cents printing up your check and mailing it to you.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't spend it all at once. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Wooohooooo!!!

Don't spend it all in one place. [LOL]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That is freaking hysterical.  The postage on the envelope cost more than the check.  The human resources required to process the check cost more than the check.  The time you and I have put into this cost more than the check.

I would like to see the check that was made out to the lawyers in this case.

Pathetic.  

But hey, congratulations!

Doh! Why didn't I keep that Citibank card?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of Steve Martin in "The Jerk".
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Tort reform people. Tort reform. Some POS lawyer did in fact make thousands if not more in YOUR name, and you get 17 cents. I can't think of anything more blatantly wrong off the top of my head at the moment.
It's not going to get fixed any time soon either. Trial lawyers in this country wield way too much power. How about that assclown Democrat Edwards running for president - guess what he does for a living? That's right folks - he's a civil litigation attorney, aka ambulance chaser. And he's not the only one, believe me. It's almost a prerequisite to being a politician these days to be an attorney, so the people who would potentially make any decision regarding tort reform would be, you guessed it, an attorney. Approving tort reform would be akin to shooting themselves in the foot for many of them. We shall continue to be bilked for the forseeable future.
Have a nice day now, ya hear?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The only people that win in these kinds of cases are the lawyers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Is your lawyer want half of that?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[ROFL2]

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago - got a check for $30 for some class-action thing against my mortgage company or something.

It's ironic that
(2) they probably spent more than 17 cents printing up your check and mailing it to you.

View Quote

Was that for PMI insurance? We got the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Ain't America great!!!

Only in this country can you be a party to a lawsuit you do not know anything about or that it even exists.

Only in this country can you get an "award" that is dwarfed by the time and effort of processing the check and the postage it took to get to you.

I guarandamntee you that the lawyer(s) who filed this suit made millions of the backs of the people who were actually "damaged" by Citibank and did not even know it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
0.83 cents postage to send a 0.17 cent check.

You can see the postage on the envelope right behind the check.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine got one for 10 cents! Same exact suit, check and all. He's having it dry mounted and framed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[ROFL2]

It's ironic that

View Quote

Was that for PMI insurance? We got the same thing.
View Quote

I don't recall - I just took it and ran with it.  But I do think it was something to do with either the PMI or property taxes or something like that - so it may have been the exact same lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd get the 9mm round.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
[B]
Quoted:
Apparently I was part of a class action lawsuit that I didn't even know about, or at least I got to reap the rewards of said lawsuit.

This is the first time I can think of that I've came into money that I never knew I had coming. The letter that arrived with the check explained that Citibank had been overcharging on finance charges. A settlement agreement had been reached in the class action suit Schwartz v. Citibank.

What should I buy first? A single round of 9mm, or maybe a piece of gum (not the expensive stuff)? What do you think?

[url]http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51/50563/big-check.jpg[/url]
View Quote
[/B]

Hope it's enough to cover your overhead for your business.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Old girlfreind of mine got a chack from the phone copany for .02 once.........

She cashed it, she was in college at the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Old girlfreind of mine got a check from the phone company for .02 once.........

She cashed it, she was in college at the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a cashier's check from the Bank of America for 1 cent for the balance on a Visa account I closed out.  I still have it under plexiglass on my desk.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
You should sue the lawyer, claiming that you could have gottne more money by suing outside the class action suit, and that he screwed you over.

It could be fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top