Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 7:36:33 AM EDT
I'm making a list of Christmas rifles that I'd like to get.  Most are going to be cheap, like an SKS, Mauser k98, Swiss K31, Moisin Nagant, Swedish Mauser and French MAS.  What else would you add to that list?  Besides the SKS, I'm looking for accurate rifles with obtainable ammo.  I've already sent my girlfriend out to look for a K31 for me, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of them.  If I could find an 03A3 cheap, it'd also be on my list, but they're damn expensive.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Of course, the 1903 is at the top of the list.

For foreign guns, right now I'm keen on the Finnish M39 and the "Russian Capture" K98s. The rest don't spark my interest as much.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Define cheap.  You can get an M1903 or an 03A3 from CMP for $400.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The best deal is a Yugo 59/66 SKS, as they are around $120 now for ones in perfect condition.  Shop around at a gun show for one.  Note that you shouldn't buy anything other than an unissued/rearsenaled one, as they didn't hold up to field abuse like regular SKSs did.  No chome lined bore, and that wacky gas regulator combined with troop neglect caused some to be about worthless.

Forget the MAS, if you want obtainable ammo.

Otherwise, it's a personal taste issue.  I'm always partial to .303.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The FN in [url=http://www.southernohiogun.com/]this[/url] link would be a good one if they would come off the price some.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up Czech VZ-24 at the gun show yesterday.  I really like it, can't wait for a chance to shoot it.

I finally got tired of seeing all the cheap 8mm ammo and not owning anything in 8mm.  Don't have that problem anymore.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
That FN is cool, but too pricey for me.  The deal is that I just sold my AR10t to pay the bills, but I couldn't let it go without getting something a bit cheaper to play with to ease the pain.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a nice Yugo sks.  I am extremely happy with mine and its very fun to shoot.  The non chrome bore gives a slight edge in the accuracy dept.  The mausers are of course also nice if you don't mind getting beat up.  I find I can almost get through 50 rounds with my M-48 and still be able to recover within a week to 10 days.  The M-44s are about the same, although the heavy M-39 mosins are a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought the brother in-law a nagant, the 38 in 7.62x54, arsenal refinished at Big 5, a local sporting goods store.
On sale for $79 seems like a heck of a deal, I might buy one for myself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yugo SKSs are a good deal. Don't pass them up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The most popular surplus rifle is the "SKS"
and also the M44 carbines, the ammo is cheap and plentiful.

I stay away from other foreign surplus rifles because of the scarcity of the oddball caliber
ammo.

US M1 carbines and Garands are good but much more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the prettiest rifles in this category that I've seen in years was a Mitchell's Mauser M-98A, new in the box with all of the goodies.

I purchased a matched serial number Mauser M98A from a local FFL a couple of years ago.  It was and is in excellent condition...BUT nothing like the one I saw from Mitchell.

I shoot the hell out of my Mauser.  It's a lot of fun to just blast away with that old beast...although after a long day at the range, you really know it.  I shot off about 100 rounds in a couple of hours last summer and regretted it the next day.  I know it couldn't have been the AR or the commie gun...my shoulder was sore from the Mauser.

A friend has an ancient Moisan Nagant.  It is typically Soviet crude looking, but shoots pretty accurately.  I think it is butt-ugly but it works...so I guess that's what's important.  Besides, it has an incredible muzzle flash.

Either one would be great...so get both!  [;D]

More power to you if you can find a decent 03 or 03A3 at a low price.  They are rare as hens teeth.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweedish Mauser hands down. Beautiful rifles. Extremely accurate, probably more so than anything else on your list. Fantastic cartrige ballisticly speaking. Ammo is available in surplus and factory loadings. You will never regret that purchase. They are more limited in number than the 98 or the mosin junk. They were never used in a war, so they aren't beat to shit. The barrels are usually damn near pristine due to the continued dilligence of the Sweedish armorers. 96 rifles and 38 carbines available. I have 2 96's and 2 38's in stock config. 1 96 sporterized into a fine dear rifle and a 96 rebarreled to .308 as another.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
CMP M1, Fulton M1 Carbine, FR8, M44.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
best place on price for a sks?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the Yugo M48 mausers. Get one in excellent or unissued & they are awesome. Gotta agree about the SKS. Get unissued or you'll be sorry. I bought a shooter grade & it was anything but. Jam-o-matic. I ended up dumping it. Won't bother with anymore SKS's. The AK is a far superior design anyways. Perhaps down the road when I quit buying AR stuff I'll pick up an RPK to add to my collection.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The barrels are usually damn near pristine due to the continued dilligence of the Sweedish armorers.
View Quote
 Their usually decent or better bore condition is a result of Sweden adopting non corossive ammo as soon as it was available around 1900 or so.  Other countries continued using corrosive because of cost and field life/durability reasons.  

1 96 sporterized into a fine dear rifle and a 96 rebarreled to .308 as another.
View Quote
 Pushing the limits of the '96 action eh?

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Yugo Mauser and a M-44. I like both, but I like the Mosin a little bit more because of its handier size and integral bayonet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#18]

K 31 is the best milsurp out there. Too bad the ammo costs so much.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Again, you'd be a fool to not look at a #3 or #4 Enfield.  If you added this to your poll, it would likely do well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

K 31 is the best milsurp out there. Too bad the ammo costs so much.
View Quote

Yup.  That's why I'm thinking of a $100 K31 and a K98.  I'll just shoot the K31 MUCH less.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

1 96 sporterized into a fine dear rifle and a 96 rebarreled to .308 as another.
View Quote
 Pushing the limits of the '96 action eh?

View Quote

Not really. The Sweedish steel is the best there was. Better than German steel even. I'd say that most small ring mausers shouldn't be used (93, 95) but the 96 is plenty strong enpogh for this application. I'll let ya know how it goes aver the long haul.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#23]
my swede outshoots my 03-a3.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I gotta say the you should have put the Garand in there.  $400 gets you a genuine USGI rack grade rifle made by the real Springfield Armory.  The barrel will be shot but easily replaced.  This is the rifle that saved the world, literally.  Yes they are getting pricy and since the supply is finite and demand for WWII memorabilia is climbing, they will become moreso in the future.  All the more reason to get your hands on one.  

The P-51 Mustang of battle rifles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...as far as accuracy, i'll stack my '96 swede up against a star gauged barrel '03 anyday. and the swede looks like it was made yesterday and the bore isn't black.

...the k31 swiss is in the same ballpark as the swedish m96.

the yugo m48 and 48a mausers have been the nicest thing since the persian mausers to come down the pike.

so many guns...so little time.

View Quote

FWIW, I concur!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I happen to collect most of the rifles you are talking about, I like the K-31's but there is nothing cheap about a K-31 when it comes to shooting it( I have 3 of them, and a K-11)....Get some Ruag brass and reload. I would have to put a couple of my Sweads up to them anyday, Then my O3's, I like my Russian M-38's and 90/31 (or is that 91/30?) I have not gotten my hands on the SKS's yet, but I think I may do just that.  Too bad you are not closer I would let you try all of them and then tell you to buy a GARAND! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Sweedish steel is the best there was.
View Quote
 Sometime it was, and sometimes it wasn't.  Be concerned if yours was produced during WWII, as steel quality declined.  This issue actually led to the withdrawl of the M40 pistol decades later, as subgun 9mm was damaging them.  The cause was determined to be the steel quality.  The L 35 Finnish model was as structural duplicate and didn't suffer the same way.  

I don't know though...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, another paycheck came in, I've decided to be like Wave and get a Garrand and a Yugo Mauser.  A Swede is also down the line, but I'm scrapping the Swissy after seeing that the 480 rounds/$220 is BERDAN primed ammo.  I figure I'll have the gun my grandpa carried in WWII - for the better half atleast.  The worst half was when he was carrying his BAR.  He hated that thing with a passion.

Ah well, does anyone have a source for good, inexpensive Mausers or Swede Mausers?  Wave will help me with the Garrand.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
If you don't have a yugo SKS or two, grab one while they are still undervalued.
The K31s will dry up soon, gotta have one.

Otherwise, get a CMP Garand.  Best rifle in the world.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah.  The Yugo SKS is the screaming deal in Milsurp right now.  Cheap ammo, semiauto, well made gun.

You can reload for the K31 pretty cheap.  Dies are cheap, standard 308 bullets, and 308 Winchester loads.  Use 284 Winchester brass.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I stay away from other foreign surplus rifles because of the scarcity of the oddball caliber
ammo.
View Quote

But scrounging up ammo is half the fun of milsurp guns [%|][BD]

As long as brass & bullets are available then no problem.  If enuff of the oddball chambered guns are imported usually some enterprising capitalist will step up to the plate.  After the market was flooded with Astra 400 & Star pistols CCI offered Blazer 9x23 Largo.....now it seems Century is going to offer new ammo for the Nagant revolvers.  

Finn M39 Mosin!   And a M1 Garand from the CMP before some assclown fvcktard Democrap gets elected & they start torching them again.....do it for the children!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I love the k31. Its my favorite. GP11 is the finest surplus ammo out there PERIOD. Dansammo has gp11 480 rounds for $185 SHIPPED to your door. IF you are fortunate, you can get a nametag under your butplate and contact the rifles original owner. Super accurate rifles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Another vote for the 03'. I think that I have reached the point in my small collection where I am going for quality ofver quantity. I also see the cost curve of the 03' beign slightly steeper over time than any of the other guns in the poll.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't underrate the Mosins.. They're good rifles at an incredible price.  Handle a few, find one with a relatively smooth action, and grab it.. I've always thought the carbines were just the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top