Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 8:03:50 AM EDT
I was stupid. I feel bad about it, bad enough to edit this post and just leave what you see cause I can't handle the flames right now.  I just want everyone to be safe.

I write this post to tell all of you to be safe.  I feel that I am safe, but I proved myself wrong.  I just thought I would share so everyone would think about safety at least once more today.

Edidted to take out everything except what is left.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
That isn't accidental....it's negligent....and may I say also very stupid

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This was a Negligent Discharge, and you were lucky this time.  Your very first action when you pick up a firearm is to check whether a cartridge is in the chamber.  Develop the discipline to do it every single time, no matter the circumstance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
At least you didn't shoot your girlfriend
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
i had one once and thankfully i was practicing safe gun handling #1. always point downrange/safe direction.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
what was the original post?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i had one once and thankfully i was practicing safe gun handling #1. always point downrange/safe direction.
View Quote

That's a bullshit NRA statement right there.  I have no idea why they list that as the #1 rule of gun safety.  The REAL #1 rule of safe gun handling is "ALL FIREARMS ARE ALWAYS LOADED".  You never touch a firearm without assuming it's loaded, and checking the chamber to make sure that it isn't.  Muzzle direction and finger dicipline are secondary to that golden rule.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was stupid. I feel bad about it, bad enough to edit this post and just leave what you see cause I can't handle the flames right now.  I just want everyone to be safe.

I write this post to tell all of you to be safe.  I feel that I am safe, but I proved myself wrong.  I just thought I would share so everyone would think about safety at least once more today.

View Quote

I understand that you are embarrassed and angry with yourself right now, but we can't learn much from this if no details are provided.
I encourage you to submit original post so that we may better understand how to prevent in future.
You will get no flames from me if you are willing to educate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Accidental Discharge (AD) is so commonplace. I know several friends who had them and it was very emotional issue for them. They should have treated their equipments like loaded weapon, but they don't always think when handling their weapons. Some say it was the feeling of excitement or rush as they fooled around with their weapons and when it happened, it was too late.

Not only it was emotional, it was also costly. They lose their friends' respect, get mocked for not using safety, and possibly have their relationship ruined.

After it happens, some decides to get abortion or get married and live with their mistakes. Some do have successful marriage, some fall apart.

Oh, you're talking about Negligent Discharge?!?

-ChaZ
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
yea it was stupid, but no real monster flames from me. instead thanks for coming forward and telling us. it's a good reminder on how our firearms are unforgiving teachers.

glad nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I think they make a cream for this problem.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
For those who wanted the story here it is again in short form.  I was in house, I picked up my CCW and unloaded it. I left the clip in the room and left to another room. I was practicing trigger control by dry-firing my glock.  My girlfriend called me in my room and I picked up the clip and loaded my gun subconsciously.  When I went back to the other room I was going to continue practicing and it went off when I pulled the trigger. It was pointed well so no harm done, but I thought that I would just post to keep people thinking about safety.

I know it is not a mistake that can be toyed with, but I felt I would remove my thread because people thought that they needed to re-insure me that I did something dumb. Since this incedent I have no loaded gun in my house and I have not carried concealed.  It freaked me out a bit.  No on gets hurt unless you break ALL the rules.  The word negligent touched me wrong because people assumed That I didn't give a fuck about what was going on.  I know no one on this board has ever done anything stupid and dangerous so I should be flamed. whatever. I thought it was a good lesson to share.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was stupid. I [red]feel[/red] bad about it, bad enough to edit this post and just leave what you see cause I can't handle the flames right now.  [red]I just want everyone to be safe[/red].

I write this post to tell all of you to be [red]safe[/red].  I [red]feel[/red] that I am [red]safe[/red], but I proved myself wrong.  I just [red]thought I would share[/red] so everyone would think about safety at least once more today.

View Quote

"Feelings", and WEAPONS, don't mix.

You need to do more editing.... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For those who wanted the story here it is again in short form.  I was in house, I picked up my CCW and unloaded it. I left the clip in the room and left to another room. I was practicing trigger control by dry-firing my glock.  My girlfriend called me in my room and I picked up the clip and loaded my gun subconsciously.  When I went back to the other room I was going to continue practicing and it went off when I pulled the trigger. It was pointed well so no harm done, but I thought that I would just post to keep people thinking about safety.

I know it is not a mistake that can be toyed with, but I felt I would remove my thread because people thought that they needed to re-insure me that I did something dumb. Since this incedent I have no loaded gun in my house and I have not carried concealed.  It freaked me out a bit.  No on gets hurt unless you break ALL the rules.  The word negligent touched me wrong because people assumed That I didn't give a fuck about what was going on.  I know no one on this board has ever done anything stupid and dangerous so I should be flamed. whatever. I thought it was a good lesson to share.
View Quote

Thanks for the update, again no flames from me,...'people who live glass houses should throw no stones', the main thing is now one got hurt and you learned a lesson that I'm sure you will never repeat. It's always a good thing when a man owns up to his mistakes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Learn from it, if it never happens again, your well ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
It IS a good lesson to share, and I'm glad you re-posted the details.  Technically, it is negligent discharge - an accidental discharge *I think* is only applicable when the firearm itself malfunctions.  It does not indicate that you don't care...

I believe that stories like this need to be brought out into the open to re-enforce the basic rules to all of us.  If you do a search, you will see MANY such stories posted and I think they all do us some good.  

Yes, you did something stupid.  Luckily no one was hurt and life goes on.  I'll bet money that you never do it again.  No reason to flame you at all - we've all done something stupid at some point.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sharing. This kind of posts reminds me do practice the rules very strictly.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
where do you get clips for glocks? [peep]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]
caused one myself several years ago.  it scared the crap outa me and really got my attention.  
therein lay the root of the probelm:  i wasn't paying attention.

and there was no safety rule that helped me because i had ignored them all, stupidly.  it was only by the grace of God that i did not kill someone.

you'll never forget it - i never have and thank God almost everyday for protecting others from my slackness.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
First of all, thank you for sharing. I think it is important to fess up when something like this happens. And I also think that nobody who has posted believes that you don't give a shit (at least I don't feel that way). Posting your experience is proof to everyone that discharges do happen, whether the reader has had one or not.

The other guys are not trying to berate you but are telling you the difference between accidental and negligent. There is a specific difference between these two terms. And what happened to you is not an accidental discharge. Read on.

An accidental discharge occurs when there is an equipment failure that (reasonably) could not have been prevented by the operator. An example would be a slam-fire where you drop the slide on a pistol and the round being loaded is immediately fired without the trigger being pulled. Sometimes a slam-fire occurs due to improper maintenance, but sometimes shit happens that you can't control or may not notice(problem with new pistol from manufacturer, etc.). A slam-fire is a scary experience (have had one) but is also a safe experience if the gun is pointed downrange as it should be when ready to chamber a round and begin shooting.

A negligent discharge occurs when there is operator error. Your incident is an example of this. Putting your finger on the trigger before you are pointing in a safe direction, not checking a firearm every time you pick it up, etc. are all examples of negligence and can lead to negligent discharge.

As such, I imagine you are beating yourself up enough over this so I really just wanted to give you some information of why we are using the term negligent discharge. I will not beat you into the ground anymore than you have done to yourself. I think it is good that you have quit carrying for now and have your pistols unloaded. I also think it is important to get back on that horse. I suggest you seek out professional help (not a shrink, but an instructor) while you are still scared and don't have your confidence back. Tell them what happened, go through the education process again (whether you think you need it or not) and learn from your mistake. Then decide if you are responsible enough to own firearms. If the answer is yes, start carrying again. If the answer is no, sell them and pray to God you never need a piece. Hope this helps.

Juice out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
One more thing. A thread got going on this same toopic about a month ago. Steyr Aug had some damn good points in that thread that I think you should read. I tried to find it but couldn't. Anyone with a link would be much appreciated.

Juice out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
We all need to be reminded of the safety rules.  Thanks for having the balls to help remind us with your recent experience.  We humans ARE fallible.  That's why we have erasers on pencils.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, that was a stupid mistake.

It only becomes a dumbass mistake if you didn't learn anything from it.

Posting this thread shows you admitting a mistake. And like others have said, reminds us how important safety is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the story, and heads up on gun care.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I know how you feel.  I don't care if I get flamed, fuck them.  I was playing with my fairly new pistol in the living room watching tv.  I was inserting and re-inserting the loaded mag just for fun because i liked the nice smooth feel when it slid in.  I was also dry firing the pistol a little.  I always considered myself to be very careful around guns, always checking the chamber when i pick a gun up, always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction.  But "playing" with a loaded mag around is pretty damn careless.  Anyways, with my mind distracted, I dry-fired (or so I was expecting) the pistol with the loaded mag in and put a hole right through the tape entrance of our vcr and it exited the top hitting the metal-plated bottom of the dvd player.  I just thank God I was smart enough to always obey the most important rule, which is to never point a gun at someone you don't intend to shoot, because my mom and little sister were in the same room.  Not only did I feel dumb, but most of all I felt terrible for being so careless around my family and potentially putting them in danger.  i can confidently say I learned my lesson and this will never happen again.  Bottom line: if you're going to dry-fire, handle, or play with a weapon, do it well away from live ammo, or better yet, don't do it all with distractions around.  You gotta always be on your toes and have full concentration.  Always treat guns as the killing machines they are, even if they're unloaded.  fuck you, flamers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for posting.  It reminds me once again to ALWAYS check the gun.  

I have checked a gun before and was COMPLETELY suprised to find a bullet in the chamber.

Reminders like this help keep us all a little safer.

TXL

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]
My take on this whole AD thing is that the more you are around firearms, the more likely these things are going to happen.

I have been there, done that and am here to tell you that it happens.

Live and learn.

Happens to the best of us....

Danny
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
..... fuck you, flamers.
View Quote

You are the dumbass who shot his VCR. [;)]

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
haha

fuck you

:)
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#29]
accidental discharge....
View Quote

You mean right before sex?....Not me.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
No one was hurt.  Live and learn.  My opinion is that there are two categories of people who handle loaded firearms on a regular basis.  Those who have han an AD/ND and those who will.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I always hear that "there are two kinds of gun owners: Those who have had an AD/ND, and those who will"

I also hear from people that have had an AD/ND that they are much more careful now...

Why weren't you as careful as you could be in the first place?

And how many AD/NDs do people have in their life?  Surely after the first one they will have a second one, or is AD/ND like chicken pox and you only get it once....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#32]
At least no one was hurt.

I had one about 2 years ago. It cost me a $700 computer monitor, nd some pride, but that was a small price to pay compared to what COULD have happened.

I posted about it here after it happened, because it scared the hell out of me, and I thought that I could use it as a reminder to people who might be getting a little sloppy in their handling of guns.

Learn from this, and remember to ALWAYS wheck the chamber when you pick up a gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Even Ted Nugent has had 2 accidental discharges. I once discovered a round in the chamber when I thought she was emptied and that scared the piss outa me. With me having 4 boys I pray for safety in our house. Since we are all human here odds are scary.
Keeping your weapon pointed in a safe direction is and should be rule number one. You can break ALL the other rules, in a momentary lapse of reason, if you only remember this one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I took my Dads shotgun out of the gun cabinet because we were going to go trap shooting or something.  And even though we "always" unload our weapons before we store them, I was suprised to find a shell in the chamber when I did my pre-shoot inspection.  I am glad I checked.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I took my Dads shotgun out of the gun cabinet because we were going to go trap shooting or something.  And even though we "always" unload our weapons before we store them, I was suprised to find a shell in the chamber [red]when I did my pre-shoot inspection.  I am glad I checked[/red].....
View Quote

Yaaaaaay!!! It took 'til page 2, but there it is!!

WTH is so hard about that?? If yer not gonna shoot someone, the first thing ya do is check the chamber!!  [:D]

It's kinda like the Holocaust, or allowing someone to take/regulate your freedom..... You just CANNOT allow it to happen.

It's just not an option.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve been surprised by an  “empty” weapon before.

As far as posting about a ND;

In the colder states sometimes winter can creep up on you.  Yeah, it sucks “here it is again…”

But there is always a driving situation, early on, where a slide, wiggle or “oh shit, I couldn’t feel my front tires for a minute there!”   Some situation that results in a hicky on the driver’s seat…

That wiggle keeps me awake the rest of the winter. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I just had a AD this past weekend.
Saturday around 1AM. there was a BOOM heard.
AS I was seating the caps on my black powder pistol the gun went off.
After I realized what happened and that I haven't shot my hand,(my ear is still ringing a bit) I looked for the bullet but I couldn't find the bullet hole for over 10min.

When I did finaly find the hole I was SO relieved.
It hit the door jam just before the trim and stopped in a very hard,strong part of the door frame.
[url]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/hole.jpg[/url]  

Lucky for me not a single person in the apartment complex heard anything.  That includes that cop that lives across the hall.
This could have turned into something bad.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Even Ted Nugent has had 2 accidental discharges.
View Quote

Like Ted Nugent is supposed to be a role model for gun safety? We should all look to the guy who has drank a tanker car full of booze and taken a pharmacy's worth of dope in his lifetime, and stuck his weewee in everything with 2 legs and some things with 4?

I like ole' Ted and I am glad he is into hunting and guns, but flashbacks are a bitch. Especially when you are packing...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know a metaphor when I see one. ilikeguyslegs will forgive you, give him some time. But being serious, if you have an AD you're an idiot/nonattention-paying tragedy waiting to happen . Follow the rules, take the proper steps, and use some common sense. Good gods. The more I here about these the more I'm glad to shoot around responsible people who regard the danger of BB guns in the same light as a WWII surplus flamethrower. For the god's sakes people, be careful.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Like Ted Nugent is supposed to be a role model for gun safety? We should all look to the guy who has drank a tanker car full of booze and taken a pharmacy's worth of dope in his lifetime, and stuck his weewee in everything with 2 legs and some things with 4?

I like ole' Ted and I am glad he is into hunting and guns, but flashbacks are a bitch. Especially when you are packing...
View Quote

bigjuice, do you know anything about Ted Nugent?

He didn't do drugs, or go on drinking binges. Just go over to his board and ask a few questions about his history, and come back here and post your findings.
Don't ASSume that just because he was a rock-n-roll musician, that he did drugs and abused alcohol.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Had an ND many years ago, near as I can figure I had a finger on the trigger when releasing the slide as I was loading the home defense weapon prior to putting it in the bedside safe.  Wound up putting a .45" hole through the sheetrock and siding, and they had to surgically remove the couch cushion, my sphincter closed up so tight.  Never found the bullet; it had to cross a fairly busy road and an empty field before it could hit an apartment complex approx 600 yds away.  Never heard anything about anyone being hurt, so I guess I was lucky.

The adrenaline rush of the ND had me shaking for at least 30 minutes.  It's a "significant emotional event," to say the least.

enigma2y0u, remind yourself of two things-- you did something wrong, and you did something right. First, you were stupid, which is why you had the hole in the floor and a set of full underpants.   Second, you did something right by controlling the muzzle of your pistol, which is why when it went off all you suffered was a hole in the floor and a set of full underpants.  Try not to do the first every again, but do what you did right, and what you forgot to do right, EVERY TIME from now on.  Learn, then move on.

I had exactly the same reaction as you.  My ND wigged me out, I unloaded everything and wouldn't even pick my pistol up for a week.  I know the term "negligent" stings right now, but over time you will come to appreciate the distinction between "negligent" and "accidental," realize that what you did is negligent, and change your behavior to make sure it doesn't happen again.  It made a believer out of me when I had mine!  Now, I've got friends who think I'm nuts, because of how many times I'll check a chamber, the anal-rententive way I control ammunition around firearms, and the dances I'll perform to stay out from in front of muzzles at gun shows.  

Remember, live paranoid, live long!  That works when you're talking about gun safety (among other things).

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

bigjuice, do you know anything about Ted Nugent?

He didn't do drugs, or go on drinking binges. Just go over to his board and ask a few questions about his history, and come back here and post your findings.
Don't ASSume that just because he was a rock-n-roll musician, that he did drugs and abused alcohol.

View Quote

Lighten up and don't give me all that ASSume bullshit. I could give two shits what he has and has not done. The last thing I am gonna do is research Ted Nugent so I can do a joke post. Regardless, I don't think he is the first person I would jump to as a role model for who has had AD's and ND's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]

We'll you can call me a dumb ass too. About three weeks ago I was walking into my kitchen. Had my G19 in one hand and a glass of water in the other. I don't know why, but for some reason I pointed my gun into the kitchen area.   Just before I walked into it, Bang. I froze for a seconed. Then panic mode hit. Did it go through the apartment wall. I looked and the Winchester Ranger +P+ went into the countertop about a 25 degree angle. It exited the countertop and took out a chunck of the top and back of the dishwasher. It then just barley pentrated the sheetrock. I was home alone and now wondering if anyone was calling the police. Thank goodnes no one did.

I too thought this would never happen to me and it did. It's made me think alot more of how fast this happens and how someone could get hurt or killed. I felt like shit for days. I was also extremely pissed at myself. I wanted to beat myself with a baseball bat.  

I now always keep my gun holstered. If I want to practice dry firing. I'll unload my gun by checking three times and leave loaded mag in a different room.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm glad no one was hurt and thanks for sharing.  I does not hurt to be reminded once in a while.  Also you are right about the number of rule and why there is more than one.

Also I bet if most people on this board were honest they would admit an AD at some point.  I have had one.  Shotgun hunting while my finger was on the trigger and safety off.  I was 18 and I learned from it.  I haven't had one since.  However I have made stupid mistakes and probably will make them again.  We are not perfect but can only strive to be.  That is one reason I go throught the 10 rules at every firearms training session we have at my department.  I always get groans but you cannot hear them enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Reading this reminds me of the jar they have at the firearm check in table for Crossroads gunshow.

The jar reads, from empty guns, or something to that effect. That jar is NEVER empty, which worries the hell out of me.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#46]
bigjuice

AL,  USA
User Info Reply Quote Send IM Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

From the forward of his book "God, guns and Rock and Roll", "Dedicated to my uncle John Nugent, who along with my Dad introduced me to the ultimate discipline that is firearm fun: handling, responsibility, and appreciation. Also to all the dedicated warrior activists on the not-so-mean streets of this great country in the NRA,GOA, Grass roots, Jews for the preservation of Firearms Ownership, and all the pro-Second Amendment organizations across the land-especially the Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America members..."

Page 13 "Drugs and alcohol destroy one's level of awareness sure as hell. This is not an opinion. It is a self-evident truth I thought I would pass along for the benefit of those not paying attention."
"Surrounded by stoned hippies preaching peace and love like so many lost souls, I stood tall, different, cocked,locked and ready to rock. For the life of me I could not imagine the intellectual bankruptcy that would allow anyone to intentionally pursue a reduced level of awareness, much less accept total defenselessness."
"Punks used to laugh at me, they said,how can ya rock and not get high? So I just stood my ground, and I watched those assholes fall and die."
He carries a gun everywhere. Hasn't bought meat in a store since 1968. Shoots probably every day. Lives to shoot apparently.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you for being man enough to post this, I'm sure you've learned a very valuable leason. Thanks for bringing safe off the back burner, I know I'll be more carefull for the rest of the month. I truely hope I learn from other and never have an ND. I handle my CCW every day and I have two small kids that the noise of an ND would scare the sh!t of them, and I think that would cause a lot of trust to be lost.

Be safe all...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I know that it has been an eye opener for me.

The only thing I have to add is that I have seen "pointed at the wall" refered to as a safe direction several times in this post. Perhaps I have very thin walls, but last I checked bullets will usually go through them, as others in this thread have atested too. Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The word negligent touched me wrong because people assumed That I didn't give a fuck about what was going on.  I know no one on this board has ever done anything stupid and dangerous so I should be flamed. whatever. I thought it was a good lesson to share.
View Quote

Reckless is the word that you describe, negligent just means not as careful as you should be.  That is what you were.

I put a .45 slug in the living room floor once, ammo should never be around when dry firing.  I learned that a long time ago.

Larry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top