Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 11:46:00 AM EDT
Growing up in the late 50s, early 60s, I was always reading Sgt. Rock comic books.  Pretty neat story lines, beat the crap outta Superman, Spiderman, et al.

There was also a comic book series about a Southern boy who commanded a Stuart M-5 tank destroyer. Just before a patrol or battle, the ghost of Gen. Jeb Stuart would appear to him and give him some sort of advise on how to handle the upcoming engagement with the enemy.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that comic book series.

Do you remember it?

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
 Man another old guy!! Sgt Rock was one of my favorites and was regularly  confiscated by the nuns at Our Lady of Peace Elementary. I think (?) it was called something like True Combat, or maybe just Combat Comics??
Remember the Mars Invasion baseball cards?? Those really peaked my imagination regarding sci-fi. They were another one of my childhood passions.
 And the Stuart tank series.....great memories.

FN
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the comic was called G.I. Combat.

Sgt. Rock is one of my favorites. I still remember some of the characters: Little Sure Shot, Bulldozer, Four-Eyes, Short Round, Long Round.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The Tank Driver Series was called "GI Combat"
I read both series in the 70's.
Joe Kubert was a great animator.
I prefered GI Combat over SGT. Rock, but Rock was good too with Ice Cream Soldier and Bulldozer.
They used to go for $0.35 and special $1.00.
I also read "The Loser's" and "Weird War Tales".
Great stories.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah!  G.I. Combat ! Now that you have stirred the old brain I  have to find a few at the comic book store just to relive childhood memories.
 FN
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
He could kick Sgt Fury's ass anyday.

What about "Weird War" and "Unknown Soldier"?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Those were the good old days!!!I grew up in the 70's and they were great! I used to walk to the store down the road 'bout a mile and I would pick up returnable bottles on the way. I would have enough to buy a Sgt Rock or GI Combat and a Coke and maybe a Sugar Daddy too!
That is one reason why I had bad teeth when I was young!
Waxing nostalgic is great!
Lynn  [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys are bring back some memories.  You have mentioned several good comics, anyone read Warlord.

BTW, if you are interested, e-bay always has a wide variety of comics for sale.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Growing up in the late 50s, early 60s, I was always reading Sgt. Rock comic books.  
View Quote

I can assure you that both of those storylines with JEB and SGT Rock were my favorite and I grew up in the late sixties and early seventies...and they were only 25 cents..
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am so old, I remember 'Civil War' trading cards. I sh*t you not.

I collected all the 'good' ones and traded (or threw away!) all the bad ones, you know like the 'Appomattox' card.[:D]

Kinda like watching Ken Burns 'Civil War' - I always stop watching after the Summer of 1864, and the 'final' Confederate victory at Cold Harbor.  After that it's Petersburg for the final nine months of the War.

Not a very pleasant time for either Army.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The comic was called "G.I. Combat."  The tank series was called, originally enough, "The Haunted Tank."  There was also a comic called "Weird War" that crossed the war and supernatural genres.  They were all published by DC and Rock and the Haunted Tank guys used to turn up sometimes in "Weird War."
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah, Sgt Rock and Easy Company.  That goes way back.

And if I remember right it was "Ghost Tank" but that was many years and many beers ago.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't get enough of the DC war comics, Sgt. Rock, Unknown Soldier, Weird War, OOAW, G.I. Combat, loved 'em! There were some war comics from other publishers that were pretty good as well, Fightin' Army and Fightin' Marines come to mind.

I got a copy of the final revision of the Sgt. Rock movie script, thank god that P.O.S. never got made into a movie!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Golgo-13 has it right.  It's nice to see some "experienced" folks on the boards.  I'm about fed up with the current "do you remember watching Beavis and Butthead when we were little?" group that seems to be multiplying around here.

Bud  
Another old guy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I the only one who remembers Sgt. "Shotgun" Harker and pvt. "Chicken" Smith?   They were in a Charlton Comics  publication whose title I can't recall.  It was one of the few Vietnam era war comics that was actually set in Vietnam.  Harker was a big, burly cigar-chewing WWII kind of guy who carried a double barreled 12 gauge and Smith was a young guy with John Lennon glasses and peace symbols who carried an M-16A1.  Between the two of them, they killed a pantload of sterotypical "gooks."
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who remembers Sgt. "Shotgun" Harker and pvt. "Chicken" Smith?   They were in a Charlton Comics  publication whose title I can't recall.  It was one of the few Vietnam era war comics that was actually set in Vietnam.  Harker was a big, burly cigar-chewing WWII kind of guy who carried a double barreled 12 gauge and Smith was a young guy with John Lennon glasses and peace symbols who carried an M-16A1.  Between the two of them, they killed a pantload of sterotypical "gooks."
View Quote

See my post above, they were regulars in Fightin' Marines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yea, these were two of my favorite comics. I probably liked the Haunted Tank a little better. But Sgt. Rock was always a good substitute.

And I really enjoyed the comic Golgo is refering to. But I, too, don't recall the name of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And I really enjoyed the comic Golgo is refering to. But I, too, don't recall the name of it.
View Quote

Hellooo... for the second time, it was Fightin' Marines! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1191620&a=8778758&p=48308357[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember being able to score the latest Sgt. Rock or Fightin' Marines, an ice cold Coca Cola, and 5 pieces of Bazooka bubble gum for a quarter!

That's right - I would blow the whole wad at once...

Now those were the days..... [^]

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
BD66, I'm with you on going downtown during the 70's with "pop bottle" money and scoring the latest issues of Sgt Rock and Weird War and GI Combat. These comics are what made me want to own an AK-47 and probablly had a little bit to do with me joining the service.  GI Combat was the BEST and I believe it was already collectors status by the early 70's.   great reading!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hellooo... for the second time, it was Fightin' Marines! [:)]
View Quote

Hellooo...a little antsy tonight aren't we? Did someone miss their afternoon nap? I sure did, darn it! [;)]

I guess I misunderstood your first post. I took it as "Fighting Marines" as being a group of comics like Superheros with Superman, Batman et.al., being separate entities within the larger group.

And if that doesn't make sense, it IS because I missed my nap. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hellooo...a little antsy tonight aren't we? Did someone miss their afternoon nap? I sure did, darn it! [;)]
View Quote

DOH! [:I] Sorry I sounded a little testy there, I just got a $900 truck repair bill that is cutting into my mad money and royally pissing me off.

I think I'll take a nap myself! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

DOH! [:I] Sorry I sounded a little testy there, I just got a $900 truck repair bill that is cutting into my mad money and royally pissing me off.

I think I'll take a nap myself! [;)]
View Quote

God, I know how that is. I dropped $500 on my car the week BEFORE  Christmas. Arghhhhh!!

All in good fun though. Wish they still made comics like this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to have an ass load of Sgt. Rock, Fightin' Marines and the like, back about 58, 59, 60, 61. I wish I could find them now. I just sold My baseball card collection from back then for almost $600. There are currently 9 Fightin' Marines comic items on ebay and 49 Sgt Rock, not much of the Sgt Rock stuff is original comics though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top