Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 4:18:37 AM EDT
It would suck to get 11 months when you pay for 12, for example.  I know if my internet conn goes down for a week,  I get pro-rated credit applied to my account.  Seems logical and appeases me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
As you well know, you don't have to be a paying member to enjoy this site.  Those of us who pay do so to support the expense of running this site.  However, all the money in the world can not guaranty the site won’t experience problems.  To answer your question, I don’t worry about the few cents I might be reimbursed for a few down days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Not worried about any reinbursement.  I pay to support the site.  Like Bookhound says, there is no guarntee that the site won't experience problems.  Thats just the way it is.  Goatboy and everyone else involved in keeping this site running do a real fine job in running it and I know that they are on top of things when there are problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Any money for "paid memberships" is a donation to offset some of the expenses of running the site.  In appreciation of the supporting members and depending on the level of the donation "paid members" get some additional functionality.  

So to answer your question and since I haven't paid for service I don't expect a service down credit.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually Tras, The downtime showed me how much time I really spend here.  How much I rely on and enjoy reading the information provided.  

I've been lurking here for a month or so now; this may even be my first post. I am new to the AR game, and wanted some basic information.  I didn't intend this site to become one of my regular haunts.  It has.  

It seems it's time for me to help support a site that gives me more information than I could successfully digest in a lifetime.

I don't know why the site went down.  Maybe my money can help ensure it doesn't happen again.  Or if it does, the downtime will be minimized.

Keith
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, ok.  Enjoy the semantics all ya want.  I also support my cable company with a monthly donation because I like the service it provides.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Just want to go on record..........

I don't want a refund for the time Arfcom was down.

I'm just glad it's back.

I can stop sweating and sitting in the corner of a darkened room.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, ok.  Enjoy the semantics all ya want.  I also support my cable company with a monthly donation because I like the service it provides.
View Quote

You can't enjoy your cable without paying,  like you're doing here.  If you don't want to support this great site than thats your problem.  You can still get on to the site and post.  Try to get cable and not pay for it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
No, and I don't expect to.

My donation was just that.....a donation. It was to help with the associated costs in running this site. I did not purchase a 12 month window of time for an avatar to be placed by my name.

My donation was made in the spirit of helping out. To expect a credit for down time just goes against the spirit that the donation was made in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
i want a free lifetime membership to repay me for the hardships i've suffered because of the lack of arfcom
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i want a free lifetime membership to repay me for the hardships i've suffered because of the lack of arfcom
View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys are all right, and do please try and forgive me.  I am sleep deprived, and therefore, crabby.

FWIW,  I wasn't meaning a refund.  Simply the countdown on your membership expiry 'pausing' as the site goes down.  Just seems like the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Most members here would have sent more money to rectify the situation!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#13]
You're right!  I sat down and figured out that my $20 annual membership works out to be $1.66 per month.  Since the site was down for 8 days I figure I'm owed $0.44!!!

I'm heading out to the mailbox to wait for my check to arrive and to dream about what I'm going to spend my new windfall on!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The fun and knowledge gained here are worth my donation.  A few probs with the system are manageable.  Plus, seems like everytime I email the webmaster with a problem or question, it fixes itself within minutes of my email.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't give a shit 'bout all that, I just hope goatboy was able to guide the sled dogs through the blizzard to get home after fixing the prollem!!!  [snoopy]!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard a [b]rumor[/b] that because of all  the outages and the spell check being out, all members were getting a free year paid membership ??????????????????????
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd say you are correct.

My money was paid to support a free web site that I have gathered countless knowledge and entertainment from for many years now. I expect nothing in return.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

hell, I would even have driven out to Rochester for a few days to help fix the thing for a few days. Arfkom is worth way more than a few measly dollars to me to see it running
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any money for "paid memberships" is a donation to offset some of the expenses of running the site.  In appreciation of the supporting members and depending on the level of the donation "paid members" get some additional functionality.  

So to answer your question and since I haven't paid for service I don't expect a service down credit.  
View Quote

Actually, it's unclear as to what to expect.  In different areas of the site it is referred to as "donation", "membership", and "subscription".  Which is it?  Do those who pay have a contract with those receiving payment?

Quoted:
Ok, ok. Enjoy the semantics all ya want. I also support my cable company with a monthly donation because I like the service it provides.
View Quote

You can't enjoy your cable without paying, like you're doing here. If you don't want to support this great site than thats your problem. You can still get on to the site and post. Try to get cable and not pay for it.
View Quote

I liken paid membership (or "subscription" or "donor status") here to paying for premium channels on cable.  As a dweller of my apartment, I get basic cable for free, but have to pay for HBO, Showtime, etc.  If I'm paying for premium channels and all of a sudden I can't get them for a week, you can bet that I'm going to expect compensation from the cable company.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I heard a [b]rumor[/b] that because of all  the outages and the spell check being out, all members were getting a free year paid membership ??????????????????????
View Quote

[>:/]  I'd still send in my 20 bucks anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Me too.

[size=1][white]*This post is in no way meant to be imflammatory, derogative, or provocative to the directors or members of AR15.com LLC.[/white][/size=1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I expect nothing in return for the downtime.

I'll gladly pony up again to be part of this site. No matter what.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It would suck to get 11 months when you pay for 12, for example.  I know if my internet conn goes down for a week,  I get pro-rated credit applied to my account.  Seems logical and appeases me.
View Quote

It might also suck if you used an online service to post over 700 times since Mar. 2001, complain when it goes down, and never actually pony up any dollars to support the site.

[:D]

Don't tell iftoc!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=130&t=212313&w=searchPop[/url]

(just a joke, btw...)
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
NY members get a 6 pack beer of their choice for every week there's a downtime.....[BD]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
i don't mind the downtime. IT's expected. However, since we are supporting this site, i think we shoudl be informed on what happened and what action is being taken to remedy the situation.

Downtime will happen. But more than once cause of the same oversite is uncalled for.

I'm not pointing fingers at all. I don't know what happened. However, it does seem somewhat suspicious that nothing has been mentioned whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
where are the hookers we were promised?!?! [:O]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Refer to your sig.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Gimme a break!! man some people are so ungrateful.
            FREE
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I am not ungrateful nor have I done any complaining about this site's downtime.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

YEAH!  Where are the hookers???? [:(!]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]
damn, i was hoping arfcom was down to add a "Redneck Forum!"

[paperboy]i want my two dollars!!!!!!!![/paperboy][;D]

in fact, im so pissed im gonna go call the law offices of gonzales, gonzales & gonzales at ocho, cero, cero - ocho,ocho,ocho - ocho, ocho, cero, ocho and sue for mental anguish!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am not ungrateful nor have I done any complaining about this site's downtime.
View Quote

Ok, ok. Enjoy the semantics all ya want..... [;D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Actually Tras, The downtime showed me how much time I really spend here.  How much I rely on and enjoy reading the information provided.  

I've been lurking here for a month or so now; this may even be my first post. I am new to the AR game, and wanted some basic information.  I didn't intend this site to become one of my regular haunts.  It has.  

It seems it's time for me to help support a site that gives me more information than I could successfully digest in a lifetime.

I don't know why the site went down.  Maybe my money can help ensure it doesn't happen again.  Or if it does, the downtime will be minimized.

Keith
View Quote

Welcome! [wave]

One of the best, if not *the* best first posts I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#34]
HECK YA

I got my DOWN TIMES REFUND check in the mail this AM.

Just go here and fill the form out and check will be in the mail two days later.

[url] Dontbeacheapbitch.com [/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HECK YA

I got my DOWN TIMES REFUND check in the mail this AM.

Just go here and fill the form out and check will be in the mail two days later.

[url] Dontbeacheapbitch.com [/url]
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted: Ok, ok.  Enjoy the semantics all ya want.  I also support my cable company with a monthly donation because I like the service it provides.
View Quote
You can't enjoy your cable without paying,  like you're doing here.  If you don't want to support this great site than thats your problem.  You can still get on to the site and post.  Try to get cable and not pay for it.
View Quote
HA HA Tras!   You just got the smackdown of the week!   besides, hwho really cares what you think since you haven't ponied up the measly $20 to be a paid member?   And don't give me the crap that you won't now because i act this way, If you haven't paid yet and you've been a  member for 2+ years, i doubt you ever will. ps go talk to iftoc, will you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top