Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2003 10:31:57 PM EDT
I've spent all day (and I mean ALL F*CKING DAY) trying to burn audio CDs, to no avail. I can burn data CDs all day long, and they turn out great, but if I try to burn an audio CD, halfway through the burn I get an error message telling me either:

A)The disk is unwritable.

B)The disk is dirty.

This is happening using any of 3 different programs (MyMp3Pro, Windows media Player 9, and RecordNow). I'm only using Fujifilm Cd-Rs, straight out of the package, and this is happening at any burn speed. I have made enough coasters today to armor plate my house,and this damn thing is getting on my last *&$@%*% nerve, hard & fast. WTF could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Nero software
It works well for me
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You could also try iTunes, if you have MP3s and not WMA files.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I highly recommend upgrading your CD-Writing software.  Nero, as sgtar15 mentioned, is great...as is Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator.  Check the warez sites.  Hope that helps.

-N20
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No problems here. Usually I use Burn4free.
Give it a shot...

[url]http://www.burn4free.com[/url]

Best of luck.

LRdrvr

P.S.: They got a list with tested cd  recorders/burners.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
have u used that brand of cd's before??

I'd second the vote for nero
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Roxio with very few problems.
There is this one cd, that I can't copy to save my life. It comes with it's own player that has to be installed just to listen to the cd. Can't even read the files without this player program imbedded on the cd, and if the player is installed and the disc is copied, the player will start the playback halfway through the burn, ruining the disc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
have u used that brand of cd's before??

I'd second the vote for nero
View Quote
Yep, I have used this particular brand of CD with great success, back when I had a cheap pos computer. Since this problem is occurring with all 3 prgrams I currently have, and only happens when I try to burn an audio CD, I'm REALLY leery of forking over the money for yet more burning software.

I've tried to register at [url]www.cdrlabs.com[/url] so I can post this question there, but for some reason, I can't. Too bad, too, because that is a very good sight for any CD/DVD burning info. I have looked all over the damned place, and I have yet to find any reference to this type of problem. If the damn thing keeps pissing me off, though, I'll...never mind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Tyr [url]http://www.goldenhawk.com[/url]

Their software works completely at 1X, so you can try it and if it works, pay teh $39 or so for the full speed burning...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#9]
First off, before you try new software; can you listen to audio CDs?
Do you have the latest firmware for your burner?
Is the burn speed in the program set up to match you burners speed?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Another for Nero.  You can download and try it before you buy it.  

Another great program for ripping and burning audio is Musicmatch.  Again, a try before you buy option, but it's only around $20.

Lastly, rather than killing your supply of CDRs, start testing with a CDR-W.  I learned that lesson a LONG time ago.  This is particularly useful in your situation where the burn is failing rather than the playback.

Oh, and Roxio sucks ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]
how old is your burner?

have you tried burning at a slower speed?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm REALLY leery of forking over the money for yet more burning software.

View Quote

Z - I know how you feel....I ran through a ton of money to get DVD Video to burn as quickly as possible with results that I liked....tell ya what, IM me a phone number where I can reach you and we can discuss an easy fix I think you'll like.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm REALLY leery of forking over the money for yet more burning software.

View Quote

Z - I know how you feel....I ran through a ton of money to get DVD Video to burn as quickly as possible with results that I liked....tell ya what, IM me a phone number where I can reach you and we can discuss an easy fix I think you'll like.
View Quote
IM box is full, man. I KINDA solved the problem by borrowing "RecordNow Max" from a friend of mine. This one allows you to burn CDs one track at a time without finalizing, which it won't do until you tell it to. it makes for slow going, but what the hell; at least I'll be able to make 'em.

I did check out "Burn4Free", and it does look like a pretty good program. I may d/load it, just for the sake of having more back-up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IM box is full, man.
View Quote

Hmmm.....the system doesn't tell me it's full....might still be troubled by the shutdown...you can email me either at [email protected] or [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IM box is full, man.
View Quote

Hmmm.....the system doesn't tell me it's full....might still be troubled by the shutdown...you can email me either at [email protected] or [email protected]
View Quote
Done.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Try slowing down your burning speed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is this one cd, that I can't copy to save my life. It comes with it's own player that has to be installed just to listen to the cd. Can't even read the files without this player program imbedded on the cd, and if the player is installed and the disc is copied, the player will start the playback halfway through the burn, ruining the disc.
View Quote

Actually, you can't copy it NOW, because you allowed it to install it's copy-protection program.  You *could* have copied it before.  See, there are over a hundred million CD players out there that you can't to back and change, so all CDs have to use the same standard format for the music.  So, now, this company came out with CDs that will install their copy-protection program via AutoRun when you first put the disc in the drive.  Once installed, you can't copy the CD.

But, if you have AutoRun disabled, then, uh, guess what?  Their software does not get installed, and you can copy the CD all you want.

What title is it, BTW?

-Troy
View Quote
I discovered a way around that by using a ripper to count the number of tracks on the "doner" CD, and comparing that to the number of songs on it. Usually, there's an additional track; that's the copy protection. What I've done is to rip all except for the last track, and it's worked pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top