Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 6:57:15 PM EDT
Ok, I made the mistake of watching two Al Pacino movies that suck yesterday. The Godfather III (no flames please, we bought the box set and hadn't seen III), and The Recruit.

Now after being a huge fan of his from all of his 70's work, and up to Scarface, it has amazed me what a crappy actor he has turned into.

I haven't seen every movie since Scarface, but even from the previews I've seen he looks like for the most part he plays the same charachter over and over no matter the role.  

Nothing even resembling his glory days.

It was amazing watching the godfather's and seeing how much he could get across without saying a word.

Now he gets by with crappy loud mouth speeches that are as inspiring as toast, and simple sound bites.

Nothing convincing.

So how could such a great actor in his younger days turn so crappy?

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought he was amazing in Devils Advocate.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So how could such a great actor in his younger days turn so crappy?

View Quote

I wouldn't be too quick to put him down. His portrayal of a blind man in "Scent of A Woman" was spectacular. There are very few actors that can do such a thing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
He needs to do some slapstick, to open up his range a little.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What about "Heat"?

[peep]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pacino was great in Glengarry Glen Ross. But I agree the Pacino of the 70's is a lot different than post-Scarface Pacino.  He was a lot quieter, muted.  Kind of like Andy Garcia.

And I thought The Recruit was pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Glengarry Glen Ross, what a kickass flick.

Jack Lemmon stole that show.  R.I.P.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That was real coke they used in Scarface.  He hasn't been the same since. [;D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he is just getting better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Pacino rocks..

Too bad he's got some weird political views.
As in, not like mine...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought he was amazing in Devils Advocate.

View Quote

I second that! He was incredible in the Devils Advocate, and the movie was kick ass overall.

No way though on the topic. The Recruit was pretty damn good in my opinion.

Al Pacino is still internationally recognized as one of the worlds best actors.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Al Who?

I still haven't seen a movie with him in it.z
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
How about...[thinking] no. Are you kidding me?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Glengarry Glenross, damn good film. And Jack Lemon Did steal the show. And just saw him today drinking with Marylin Monroe in a sleeper car. [Some Like It Hot]

Wasn't Al Pacino in Heat?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I'll admit I haven't seen GlenGary Glenn Ross. So I can't comment.

To be honest though, with some of you raving about Pacinos role in The Recruit and how good of a movie it is (seriously folks, can that mick Ferrel make more than two facial expressions?), I'm starting to wonder about the collective taste in movies here.

Ya, Pacino wasn't good in heat. Though you have to admit, it wasn't unlike alot much of what else he's done recently. And IMO, it has been done rather crappily with the exception of Heat. And yes, I haven't watched some of the other movies you mentioned, but sometimes you can just tell by the previews. I mean, if that's the best they have to show you, that says something to me.

Not that there's anything wrong with a good character actor. But he's not even good at that. Basicly a parody of himself.

I still say he hasn't done anything that could rival his roles in GF I and II.

Flame if you must.................

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you heard the Al Pacino prank calls?  Some guys took digital samples of Al Pacino's lines from various movies, then have dialogues with unsuspecting marks.  It's so fucking funny.  Go to Kazaa, search under audio files for "Al Pacino Call". The funniest one is 602kb in size, 1:17 long.  The mark thinks he's talking with an actual person.

Shamus, most of the clips they use are from Glengarry Glen Ross, in case you wonder what movie they lifted Pacino's lines from.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the heads up, that does sound pretty freaken funny.

But I find it hard to believe it's as funny as his acting in GF III. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]
To see a  recent example of why Pacino is legendary, check out "Insomnia." It is an excellant film, and Pacino's work is amazing. Insomnia, Simone, and Donnie Brasco are recent movies featuring Pacino in more reserved roles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Heat was great as was Carlitos' Way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top