Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 4:06:27 PM EDT
www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2003/11/28/plumbers_prepare_for_post_thanksgiving_clogs/

Plumbers prepare for post-Thanksgiving clogs

11/28/2003

EVERETT, Wash. (AP) -- They're not clerks and sales personnel, but every year they brace themselves for the onslaught that follows Thanksgiving.

Plumbers.

"The day after Thanksgiving is our busiest day of the year," said David Deasis, assistant manager of the local office of Rescue Rooter. "A lot of people stuff what's left from dinner down the drain and it gets all clogged up. Then they call us."

One problem is that people assume a sink garbage disposal can grind and flush just about any scrapings from the plate, including chunky turkey bones.

"They're called garbage disposals, so people think they can stuff anything in the whole world down there," said Chris McIlrath, owner of AA Plumbing, "but they're not made for that.

"If you put the food on a plate into the garbage can and just rinse the plate off into the disposer, you'll never have a problem."

Thanksgiving also can produce plumbing problems elsewhere in the house as visiting friends and relatives overload toilets and sink and shower drains, said Robin French, a Roto-Rooter production manager in Lynnwood.

"The more usage, the more chance for them to get clogged," he said.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep a piece of coat hanger near the toilet to cut up those lunkers before you flush.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm sure their biggest problem is with people dumping food down the drain...

but I guess the article can't really come out and say "Plumbers are extra busy after Thanksgiving due to the enormous turds that their customers flush down the drain after stuffing their fat face during the holiday dinner."
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to use the plunger on the toilet in our guest bathroom twice today.

Damn in-laws!  They don't even mention there is a problem.  They just let the smell waft through the whole house until someone goes to check things out.

I think I'll leave a calling card next time I visit them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Get drunk and be liberal with your urinary aim.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
who was it here that poste their little trick called "the upper decker"?? It consisted of taking a dump in the UPPER receptacle...said it kept giving for days...
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had to use the plunger on the toilet in our guest bathroom twice today.

Damn in-laws!  They don't even mention there is a problem.  They just let the smell waft through the whole house until someone goes to check things out.

I think I'll leave a calling card next time I visit them.
View Quote

Unbelievably rude....  I'd leave a plunger right in front of the toilet for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top