Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 2:32:28 PM EDT
I know a lot of you will already know this, but I have met amny a gun lover who didn't. So in that spirit I would like to share a handy piece of knowledge to bolt action rifle users.

When hunting or storing a bolt action firearm, if you pull the trigger, & then close the bolt it will keep the gun from being coocked. It is good for hunting, as you can just raise the bolt, & then close it to cock it. No loud clanking noise, & it is safer to walk around with. It would take a freak accident to drop the rifle & have the bolt hit something just right to cause an AD/ND in this condition.
It's good for storing, as it takes the pressure off the spring while not in use.

Anyone else have any cool, & usefull tips like this they can add?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
yea, unload the gun before cleaning.

i hate hearing this excuse when the accidentaly discharge or shoot themselves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, old buddy, there is one fly in the ointment.

If you do as you propose, the firing pin will be in contact with the primer.

Also, remember that to do this, you have to pull the trigger on a loaded firearm and point it at something while closing the bolt.

I would suggest either leaving the chamber empty, or use the safety.  And then follow the 4 rules of gun safety.

Your test for this evening:  Name the 4 rules.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Like I said though, it would take a freek accident to cause the back of the bolt to hit on the spot that would cause an AD/ND. I learned this tip from reading Peter Hathaway Capstick. He seamed to be a very safty minded indavidual when it came to firearms.
I use this method on my .375 H&H mag, & other bolt guns when in storage. I have also used it on my .375 while still hunting.
Closeing the bolt while pointing in a safe direction is not usualy a problem on the range, or in the woods. I would recomend trying it on each rifle before using it that rifle. I personaly havent had it be a problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I close any bolt action that way if I'm not going to be shooting it, that way you're not dry firing on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a dream last night that I had a negligent discharge with an 03-A3 and blew a hole through the ceiling of a porch.

I don't have an 03-A3, I don't walk around on a porch, and I am always extrememly careful with firearms.  Guess it's just my brain reminding me to be careful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Note to self:

Do not hunt with people that have firing pin resting on primer[V]

SFT, Please contact a Hunter Safety Instructor in your state ASAP!! and pass this safety tip on to them I am sure they don't know this one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
So what your saying is that a firing pin is fully forward when the bolt is uncocked? I didn't know this. I thought it would be slightly out but not extended through the hole, enough to cause an AD/ND in theroy, & have done this while in a stand, & while still hunting with no problems. As I have stated, I read this in the Capstick books, & trusted to his expertease in this area. I have never heard the f p was against the primer, just that the hammer was not in battery to bang the pin.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
yes this what I am saying. Bolt gun have direct pins(spring is behind the pin to force it forward).
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Note to self:
Do not hunt with people that have firing pin resting on primer
View Quote

Check out the primer on an unfired cartridge that's been chambered in an AR sometime after you eject it. The firing pin hits the primer every time you jack one in the chamber. It's not a deep dent like when you fire it, but you can see it. DOH!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a F'ing chance would I do that with a bolt action.

THAT is an accident waiting to happen.

I should try that next time I am out at the range - put the firing pin on a primer, and hit the pin with a little block of wood.  That pin is fairly exposed on Ruger 77s and M700s.  

Cross a fence or an obstikle(sp) with the barrel up, and the stock is going to guide any debris up until it smacks the rear of the action.    

EDIT:  Storing?  Hell yeah.  It takes pressure off the spring and the sear.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I would never do that with a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Peter Hathaway Capstick? The same white hunter that got drunk and bet his trackers he could spear a Cape Buffalo and live? That story always cracked me up! The Buff was speared alright. As ole Pete beat feet out of there a tracker dropped the Buff with a brain shot and the snotty nose of the beast left a slug trail on Petes heel. He said that was the stupidest thing that he had ever done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess he won his bet.[;)]

He said he used this method when guiding to insure the hunter behind him didn't blow his head off.
As far as doing stupid things, I know here non of us ever did anything stupid. Here hold my beer, & watch this![:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, but having carried Mauser (the real ones)and Sako (of finland) and 700 series bolt action rifles, as well as having disassembled the bolts on all of the above, not one of them had the firing pin, when uncocked, extend beyond the firing pin hole.  Each of these floated the pin the additional 1/16 to 1/32" to strike the primer.  IE, firing pin release holds firing pin back until released.  At this time the spring is under pressure.  Trigger pull, lowers firing pin release and allows spring to force firing pin forward to strike the primer.  Firing pin then retracts into the bolt.  This is so that you do not risk damage to the tip of the firing pin.  

I always carry bolt action rifles chambered with trigger pulled while I lock the bolt down.  When I store them, it is empty chamber, trigger pulled while bolt is locked.  I have been doing this for as long as I can remember.  My father taught me this and my mother carries hers the same way.  None of us have ever had any problems from this.  Nor have we ever had to replace a firing pin due to this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a couple of tidbits to chew on:

[url]http://www.african-hunter.com/a_guide_to_rifle_choice_-_part_ii.htm[/url]
" Having rejected condition 3 for serious carry in a dangerous game area, [b]what about condition 2? In this mode the rifle is carried with a round in the chamber but the striker decocked by squeezing the trigger as the bolt is closed. When needed, all one has to do is raise and lower the bolt and you are ready to fire.[/b] It's very quick, but, on any rifle with an exposed striker, considerably more dangerous to both you and your clients than condition 1, since only a minor tap on the striker is required to fire the rifle.  

There has been at least one hunter killed in recent years because of condition 2 carry. If in doubt, buy an improved safety for your rifle, carry it in condition 1, and just improve your muzzle awareness. It was also intriguing to notice how many people were very aware of where their muzzle was pointing, when it was towards other people! But they freely pointed it at themselves, usually their hands but frequently also chins. Without hands its very difficult to be a PH, without a head its very difficult to be anything other than dead."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top