Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 2:09:20 PM EDT
For some time I have been on the verge of going down to the local sheriff's office, filling out the forms, and paying the $55 to get my CCW permit. I really want it. But on the other hand, I am reluctant to deal with the system any more than need be and keep my firearms passion between me and the dealer who runs the background check every time I buy a new gun. Supposedly, those records do not go into some Fed database but are destroyed after 5 years. Whereas, if the local LEO's have a list of CCW holders with me on it, they will know where to go first when (and I do believe it's a matter of WHEN) the government rescinds my 2nd Ammendment rights. So for now I just keep a loaded handgun in my glovebox and hope it's handy there if I ever need it.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk? Am I being paranoid about this?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Whether "they" have you in their records for a CCW or not, I'm sure "they" already know you own firearms.

Regardless, by the time they start coming to gather them up, we'll be giving them to the feds bullets first so don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the gun's primary purpose is to protect you. Unless you are at home all the time, you are unprotected without a CCW permit and a CC weapon.

I would go for the permit. Who knows, some guy might pull what that loon did in Luby's in Killeen a few years back, and you will have your gun to stop further loss of life.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in a small community and local LEO's aren't all "gung ho" on screwing people out of their guns like the big Federal organizations are. They have bigger fish to fry like busting up all the meth labs in the area.  I've found, in general, that most small town local LEO's are some of the gun owners best friends. They've always been on our side with reguard to being able to have a CCW, it's the LEO's in large communities like New York City, LosAngeles and Chicago that don't like their citizens to carry.  If you want to carry then like it or not, for now, you'll have to play the game and get a CCW.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
As Clint Smith says, "If you're worried about getting on some list, you're probably already on it."

Get your permit.  It's cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting your CCW is an admission that you believe the gov has the constitutional authority to regulate your right to keep and bear arms.

That said, if you have ever filled out a form 4473, they either do know or will know it. They no longer destroy 4473's after 5 years, and the log the dealer fills out for tracking firearms transfers in and out of his control, never was destroyed, and was turned in when the dealer went out of business.

And if you have ever purchased firearm accessories or ammo with a credit card, well chances are there is a transaction record in some computer somewhere.

And if you have ever subscribed to a gun/hunting mag.

face it, there is little chance to remain a closet gunowner, at least from the gov
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Your mailman probably knows more about what you do and have than anyone else. That being said, the only way you would NOT be on a "list" is if you have never:

bought a hunting license

filled out a 4473 form

bought a gun or ammo or reloading stuff with a credit card or check

have an ex wife

have a former "disgruntled employee" or friend

nosey neighbor

ex in laws of any kind

subscribed to gun mags.

belong to the NRA or any other hunting club, etc.

As you can see, they have your number unless you are a total hermit and have never talked about or shown anyone guns, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
For God's sake man, you live in a shall issue state.  You don't need to give them an inventory of your arsenal, just your carry piece.  If my state ever smartens up, the state will have my check ASAP.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. Guess I might as well get it done.

But now I have another problem... what CCW to get! I bought my 1911 Officer-size for that duty, but I have become convinced that it's too heavy and bulky to be comfortable. Thinking about a Taurus PT-111 9mm or maybe that new Springfield XD compact or something. Too bad they don't make a single stack polymer 1911 that looks just like a 1911, but weighs what a Glock would. I don't care for the Hi-cap 1911's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...but weighs what a Glock would.
View Quote

The answer seems obvious.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...but weighs what a Glock would.
View Quote

The answer seems obvious.
View Quote

Sorry OP... I just cannot bring myself to go Glock. I work with several hundred officers who carry them, but I still think they are ugly. And so do many of the guys, but they have to carry them. The XD is better looking to me and I think I could put up with one.

Edited to add: I admit it, I am a Glockophobe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My suggestions if you want a .45:

Glock 36

1911 ultra-compact

Cobra Patriot
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer a .45, but think I could be happy with the right .40, or maybe satisfied with a 9mm. I dunno though, part of the reason I carry in my truck is for putting down hit deer. And a .40 would probably be a lot better for that than a 9mm. Should stick to .40 or .45 I suppose...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My carry piece would be a Glock 26.  Light, small and very dependable.  Most, if not all your self defense shots will be 7 yards or less.  You shoot someone past 21 feet and you'll have a lot of explaining to do and maybe a trial...  My .02.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
A gun is a tool.  Nothing more or nothing else.  I don't think a certain hammer is cute or a chainsaw is better looking than another.  What I want is for it to work when I need it.  It can be butt ugly but it has to be dependable...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A gun is a tool.  Nothing more or nothing else.  I don't think a certain hammer is cute or a chainsaw is better looking than another.  What I want is for it to work when I need it.  It can be butt ugly but it has to be dependable...
View Quote

[Forrest} Purty is as purty does.[Forrest}
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
get it
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I've read that they're having problems with the XD. Personally I've gotten out of carring "cocked and locked", it gives me the willies. You could get a Sig  245. There suppose to be nice and you'll still have a 45.  I've got a Sig 225 that I love. The size is right and it's still big enough to get a hand on. Best bet is to go to a good gun store and see what they've got.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your mailman probably knows more about what you do and have than anyone else.  
View Quote

Isn't that the truth. Along with the UPS guy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My carry piece would be a Glock 26.  Light, small and very dependable.  Most, if not all your self defense shots will be 7 yards or less.  You shoot someone past 21 feet and you'll have a lot of explaining to do and maybe a trial...  My .02.
View Quote

My carry piece IS a Glock 26.  Can't be beat for CCW.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I am 5'9" and a buck fifty soaking wet. I carry a Wilson CQB full size about 16 hours a day every single day.

Most times I dont even know it's there. It did take some getting used to though. After a week or so I was more comfortable with it that without.

Get the right leather (holster, belt and mag holders), change your clothes buying habbits (just one inch size bigger in the waist and then carry.

Do it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm with the last guy... you cant making carrying a gun comfortable, but carrying a gun can be comforting.

That said, I have my CCW permit here in Utah... and I've carried damn near every day since I got it. Best thing I ever did. If they want my guns (government or anyone else) they are gonna get 'em bullets first, no matter what list they are readig from.

I carry the Springfield XD-9 SubCompact and I'll tell you now, its a lot lighter than any 1911. A quality holster will make all the difference, as will good belt. Mine is a C-TAC from [url]www.comp-tac.com[/url], custom made as a slide so I can carry a Duty or Tactical size when I get one (that shuould be a sign [:D] ). Some one will shurly poo-poo the 9mm, but I can get a lot of shots off fast and accurate with it and the Ranger 127gr +P+ loads will expand to 3/4" in water or wet phone books out of my pistol. The finish is not what Glocks are, but its a carry gun, not a fashion statement. Personally, I have had no problem with the finish. The trigger is great and probably around 5 pounds or so, I dont have a scale to measure; only gets better with time/dryfire. Accuracy runs at 2-3 inches at 25 yards with Winchester 124gr FMJ and the Rangers are a little better. Magazines are available for reasonable prices, and you can use the fullsize .40 magazines to hold 15 rounds of 9mm, as they are exactly the same, other than the dents in the magazine sides that limit the followers movement. This is legal, and there is a letter posted somewhere from the BATF that says so. IF you can wait, rumor has it that there will be a .40 version out sometime next year. It also points more like a 1911 or BHP than a Glock... if you like that. BTW the Subcompact is not a chopped fullsize XD, it was totally redesigned as a new weapon. Mine has functioned flawlessly for about 800-1000 rounds now. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. [jump]

Try: [url]www.hs2000talk.com[/url] for a great XD forum...even a few Glock, and...umm... FORMER Glock owners there. [flame]

Glock 26 would be ok too, but I chose the XD over the Glock. Mostly because the XD pointed better for me and the trigger felt better.

I've had a Kel-Tec P-11, it was functional and accurate enough for CCW but not much else. Long trigger pull wasnt great for accuracy work, but the pistol would shoot into 2" at 15 yards with some practice. Only problems with it came from some Wolf ammo and a long shooting session. I still have it, but I'm looking to sell it.

As for the Taurus PT-111... most of what I've heard was negative, but YMMV. I've never shot one, but I handled one. Pretty much a Kel-Tec P-11 for about $100 more was my impression.

All that said, I'd carry a .45 if I could afford to feed it as often as my 9mm... but I dont feel under-gunned at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top