Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 2:01:35 PM EDT
lets assume this situation:

you are walking down the street alone. guy jumps out of the bushes attempting to mug you, shoves a gun in your face(but not within reach to take it from him). for whatever reason he notices you are carrying a sidearm, and demands the sidearm along with your wallet. what do you do?

same situation but you are with your wife/family/GF?

do you give it all up? try to draw?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
your gun should be in your hand, safety off, trigger squeeze in progress, before perp even knows he has picked the wrong guy........

Situational awareness is imperative!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
your gun should be in your hand, safety off, trigger squeeze in progress, before perp even knows he has picked the wrong guy........

View Quote

In the event that you're caught off gaurd, you absolutely turn over the gun and money. Know your limitations, and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd kill everyone and smoke some cigarettes.

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hypotheticals are hard. However this is about as close as it gets to an absolute fact in a world of shifting circumstances: you can't improve your situation by making yourself weaker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
pack two guns.

as he turns and runs away, shoot him in the leg, take back your gun and wallet.
tell the kids to get in the car, its time for ice cream.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
How close is the perp?  I would assess his demeanor and see if he actually has what it takes to pull the trigger.  If he's within 10 feet and holding a revolver with the hammer down... that pistol is mine.  If he's got an auto with the hammer down, he's dead.

If he's not close enough... I've practiced a lot of "duck and draw".  I think I'd have to dip my upper body to the side while drawing and squeeze off two from the hip.

I've practiced and practiced and practiced.  I can do it before most well-trained people can get a shot off.  I'm pretty sure he would be toast.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've thought it through, at least partway. My plan, such as it is, is to turn gun side away from BG, knock the fuck out of whatever (gun, hand, face, shoulder) I can reach w/weak hand as I draw, and then make my own fireworks show.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
So many variables and different situations in your scenario.  First of all, if you’re carrying concealed it should be just that, concealed.  What is the perp’s behavior?  Is he acting like a crazed coke-head?  How nervous is he?  The more nervous the more dangerous the situation is.  I’m a big believer in pocket guns.  If your right-handed your carry pocket gun would be in your jackets left pocket.  If he wants your wallet, and your right-handed, take it out of your back pocket and give it to him.  Your left hand has the pistol in it in the jacket pocket.   You can always shoot him through the pocket.  To draw a firearm when the perp has the drop on you is very dangerous.    
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Good thing I've been using my bulletproof face wash.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
OODA
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If he was a fat slob with a cheap revolver(Live shooting of that attorney a few weeks back), I would draw my CCW and put two in his chest while dancing a jig!

In reality, it would depend on if I was alone or with family. If alone, He may get my wallet from me but giving up my weapon would have to be a result of injury and not free will.

If my famly was there I dont think there would be much time for him to decide what to do as I would without a doubt, charge him while drawing my weapon hoping that any round fired from his gun hit me and not my family. I can cover ten feet pretty fast, and 6' 230 coming hard with a purpose is dam hard to stop. My families safety, is my number one task, period.
CH

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Then again you could just go tactical and raise your hand to your ear, press on it and say;

"Hold your fire this is not our target, I repeat hold your fire" while looking around at the roof tops. Then turn and say to him "Man did you pick the wrong place to hold somebody up.! You better get the fuck outta here, NOW!"

Then hope he is stupid as he appears.
CH
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why you should have a primary CCW AND a little Kel-Tec P32 or P380.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
This why I carry an 88 magnum.

It shoots through schools.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

In the event that you're caught off gaurd, you absolutely turn over the gun and money. Know your limitations, and act accordingly.
View Quote
                                                                                                                                                                                        Now this is a"real world"response.You live to fight another day.IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's why you should have a primary CCW AND a little Kel-Tec P32 or P380.
View Quote

Yep. I kinda like the Beretta 21a packed with stingers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Railman44 has a very good point:  never draw on a drawn gun.

I'm not risking my life for my wallet, but I wouldn't give him the gun.  It is precisely because of this type of scenario that I took up martial arts almost a year ago.  At some point, ie. as I'm handing over the wallet etc., he'll get close enough to take down. Your scenario is also why I always carry concealed, even if I'm out hunting.  Not knowing that you are armed is another edge.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#18]
First off, never ever give up your gun.
You wouldn't want to give your functioning firearm to a crackhead who is holding a broken or unreliable gun.

Mentally prepare yourself to be shot while you attempt to stall him verbally.
When the time is right you should virtually explode and unleash an attack upon him with stunning ferocity.
It should not end until the threat is totally removed.

Never give up your gun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That will get you a 50/50 chance of survival. He may or may not shoot you anyway, unfortunately. Like I said, carry a P32 or a Beretta 21A with stingers, and promptly apply to face as you hand him your primary CCW.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
                                                                                                                                                                                        Now this is a"real world"response.You live to fight another day.IMHO.
View Quote

I disagree and think that turning over your weapon is a death warrent and would never advise that. If the person intends on shooting you, you stand little chance, regardless of your choice.

But, if your carrying a backup then I think CC is on the right track. Adding only the dropping of the mag out of your primary CCW as you handed it over. This is more of a distraction then handing over your weapon.
CH
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
throw you wallet his way so that he has to catch it, pick it up, or turn around for a second.  While he's doing this, draw and give him a couple in the chest.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
throw you wallet his way so that he has to catch it, pick it up, or turn around for a second.  While he's doing this, draw and give him a couple in the chest.
View Quote

Yes, thats very similar to what I was thinking, only I'd throw the wallet to hisleft side, run at him screaming "AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!" draw my weapon and shoot while he's distracted with the wallet and screaming. Overwhelm the bad guy, give him your "war face"
But he might freak out over the screaming and bust a few in ya.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, thats very similar to what I was thinking, only I'd throw the wallet to hisleft side, run at him screaming "AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!" draw my weapon and shoot while he's distracted with the wallet and screaming. Overwhelm the bad guy, give him your "war face"
But he might freak out over the screaming and bust a few in ya.
View Quote

Too bad I still have 6 years before I can buy/carry a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Another option is to pull your personal light(Everyone should have one).  When the perp is temporarily blinded pull your own firearm.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
pack two guns.

as he turns and runs away, shoot him in the leg, take back your gun and wallet.

tell the kids to get in the car, its time for ice cream.
View Quote

Why shoot him in the leg?  If he has a gun and doesn't drop it when he falls he can still shoot him.  Also there have been some cases where the person being assualted didn't shoot to kill and got sued by the assualter.  IMO, if you are going to shoot some one, you shoot to kill.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Look as scared as possible. Then as you comply, quiver and shake.Clutch your chest and feign a heart attack, and fall to your knees, dropping the wallet..

Then shoot the bastard in the testicles.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look as scared as possible. Then as you comply, quiver and shake.Clutch your chest and feign a heart attack, and fall to your knees, dropping the wallet..

Then shoot the bastard in the testicles.

Meplat-
View Quote

[lol]

don't know what i would do. i guess i'd charge him. don't know if that would make a difference, but hopefully my wife would know enough to get the fuck out of there. atleast her and the kids would be ok. maybe i need to start carrying a back-up gun....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top