Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 8:44:47 AM EDT
I was looknig at buying a Benchmade mini 9050 folder and had a question about the "restricted to LEO and military" status.

Does this mean ill have to fill out a form to make a purchase?(im active military but this knife is not for use pertaining to my job)

Or is it just a liability deal where they won't be responsible for what you do with it and i dont have to go through any paperwork hassle?

Any advice is much appreciated, along with better priced alternatives . Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
in CA you can get in more trouble for carrying a Auto folder than if you were carrying a .45.

That being said why buy some LEO knife when you can buy a spyderco police that is probably stronger and just as fast.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It means that in TX it is illegal to carry it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It means that in TX it is illegal to carry it.
View Quote

huh? im stationed in south cackalacky anyways [:P]

also, if i pack a knife or two away in my luggage will i be declared a super duper threat to national security that needs to be prosecuted and thrown away forever or is it legal?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Manufacures can't ship to non-LE/dealers because of fed laws against interstate shipping of autos.Most states have a ban on carrying them [CA has a blade length resticion under 2 in]If you are wanting to carry I would go with a good one-hander like the AFCK Benchmade or Emerson with a wave.They open just as quick as an auto and you save your self alot of trouble.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at the "assisted opening" folders that are available from some makers. They are not legally "automatics" but honestly only due to the defintitions usually applied under the "switchblade" laws. Kind of like the Pre/post ban rifle situation.

Scrade and Kershaw both make assisted opening knives for general public sale. The Kershaw "Ken Onion" designs look like regular pocket knives and are priced below 100 bucks.

Some of the Schrade designs are definently combat(Think double edged)type designs, but are more pricey, over $200.

Just a suggestion you mightlook into.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Just get an Emerson knife with the "wave" feature.  They open faster than an auto knife, and you dont have to sweat the legal issues.  I prefer the SOCFK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just get an Emerson knife with the "wave" feature.  They open faster than an auto knife, and you dont have to sweat the legal issues.  I prefer the SOCFK.
View Quote

The video on their website convinced me that an automatic is simply not worth it, both legally and financially...

That wave feature is FAST, FAST, FAST!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a waved Emerson and it's a great knife; fast too.

However, before spending a ton o loot, check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/mad_tactical/Combat_Customizing.html

I have since, waved a few different knives, using just my $30 dremel and taking about 1/2hr per knife.

Just about any of the spydercos will work, the benchmade griptilian is also easy. The wave made this way is much more reliable and versatile than the Emerson version.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting thing: in Fla. the legislature recently clarified the statute on knives, making it clear (too late to save one poor bastard) that "switchblades" aren't prohibited. What are outlawed are those spetznatz knives or whatever they were called.

790.225  Ballistic self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1)  It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).

(2)  This section shall not apply to:

(a)  Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats one good thing about living in Fla!

And sorry guys but they havent made an assisted opening knife yet thats as fast as an auto.

You are basing your claim on having unrestricted use of your arm and wrist.

Have someone hold your wrist with their right hand and lock it up tight then have them hold your forearm with their left hand so you cant move it freely.

Now open your Spyderco faster than an auto!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
That's when you use your left fist and apply it forcefully to the right side of their jaw...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion is my favorite.  It is faster than anything with a button or thumb assist.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Just learn to flick a Gerber.  I have the AirRanger II model as well as a Covert, and people think they're autos.  Quicker than spit.

Edited to add that Emerson and Onion design DAMNED GOOD KNIVES.  I just got my Gerbers at good prices.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
My Benchmade 9050 is in the safe. I have no reason to open carry while working, and that would be the only purpose to have it one me. CC in Ohio is not an option. It functions great, and is sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that everyone who has switchblade envy is out of the way trying to make us belive a manual opening knife is as good as an auto.

In answer to your question it is against federal law to ship an auto knife across state lines to anyone but military, law enf, or a dealer to said agencies.

Just send them a photo copy or fax of your military ID and all will be well or buy what you want at a local gun show.

What you carry laws are in TX you will have to find out from Texans. As that is state/local level and you asked regarding a federal law.

Try the Texas forum in Hometown someone there will know.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Benchmade 5000 over the 9050.

Be sure to check out the 5000 before making a decision.

Saw both, bought the 5000.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats one good thing about living in Fla!

And sorry guys but they havent made an assisted opening knife yet thats as fast as an auto.

You are basing your claim on having unrestricted use of your arm and wrist.

Have someone hold your wrist with their right hand and lock it up tight then have them hold your forearm with their left hand so you cant move it freely.

Now open your Spyderco faster than an auto!
View Quote

Good point.... in that situation a one hand/assisted opening knife isn't going to cut it [ouch bad pun]. But then a fixed blade would be faster yet. To bad the government considers auto openers to be evil assault knives.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
MDC85:

As David Hineline said, the only Federal restriction is on interstate shipping of automatic knives. As long as you can produce military or L/E identification, you can purchase from a dealer, IF state law doesn't prohibit it. You would have to look at the law of the state where you want to carry to find out if carrying would be legal.

For example, in NC, any knife which can be opened by "throwing, explosive, or spring action" is considered a Concealed Weapon, not an "ordinary pocket knife", which would be exempt from the concealed weapon statute. The exceptions for automatic knives in NC are for law enforcement officers and for "Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such, and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons." So to be legal in NC, you would have to be able to prove you were performing a duty of your office & under orders to be armed.

For law enforcement officers, the rules are a little more complicated, depending on whether the officer is on or off-duty.

And no, the Concealed Handgun Permit issued in NC covers only handguns, not knives or long guns....

So you would have to look at the relevant SC law to find out whether you could legally carry there.

BTW, the Benchmade Stryker is a really nice knife. Works very well one-handed, even if the mobility of that hand is restricted, as tc6969 pointed out. Might be a good thing to have if you are going to be out of the country.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all of the info guys. I recently got a SOG Flash I with the open assist, pretty neat little feature, but I was a little disappointed in the overall quality of the knife.
Ill probably just end up getting one with the wave feature since autos seem to be such a hassle. that or look for one at a gun show
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Manufacures can't ship to non-LE/dealers because of fed laws against interstate shipping of autos.Most states have a ban on carrying them [CA has a blade length resticion under 2 in]If you are wanting to carry I would go with a good one-hander like the AFCK Benchmade or Emerson with a wave.They open just as quick as an auto and you save your self alot of trouble.
View Quote

Then how come I ordered a Pro-Tech auto online and 3 days later it showed up at my door? I am not LEO or military. Hmmmmmmm.
AB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
What model did you get?
I carry a Godson 24/7
Thats one FINE knife!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#22]
anyone know about laws pertaining to putting knives in luggage for flying?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What model did you get?
I carry a Godson 24/7
Thats one FINE knife!
View Quote

The Guardfather, silver with black slabs, black blade.
AB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#24]
A fine choice!

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#25]
They are illegal in Maine too but they are at every gun show.

I had the misfortune of having my favorite everyday automatic break today, the coil spring snaped and a coil broke off, after trying to repair it, it broke again, so now I have push button folder. [:(]
Thats what I get fo buying a no-named (an no markings) "Spike".  Well it did last 4 years.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A fine choice!

View Quote

It's a REAL powerful auto, tough also.
AB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#27]
How come he shipped it to you? Well that's because he did not care whether or not he or you broke federal law. He just wanted your money and you wanted your knife.

Federal Regulations:  18 USC 1716 (g)(2)(1-4) provides this summary: Switchblade knives can be shipped to civilian and Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal government ordering or procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with activities in the Federal government;  supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or the militia of a state, territory, or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations; to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any state or territory, or any county, city, or other political subdivision of a state or territory; to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person aforementioned.

15 USC 1244 provides this summary:   Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives and may have them shipped to, and sold to, him or her.  The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicapped individual who has the use of only one arm.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Did some one say pro-tech's?
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~nokarma/ProTech1.jpg[/img]
Dave is a stand up guy to deal with and makes a great knife.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Might be adding this to my collection.

[img]www.bladeauction.com/os/item_images/115427_gfdeccog10.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[CA has a blade length resticion under 2 in]
View Quote

Buzz!!!!  WRONG!!!!

I believe it is 3 3/4"...or close to that.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[CA has a blade length resticion under 2 in]
View Quote

Buzz!!!!  WRONG!!!!

I believe it is 3 3/4"...or close to that.

Sgtar15
View Quote

3 3/4" for an auto? That's hard to believe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]
No...autos are illegal in Cal....I meant blade lenght for regular knives.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually I believe CA does allow shorty autos like 1.5" blade or some crap. Ebay allows sales of switchblades with CA length and shorter so everyone on Ebay selling autos claims the blades are less than CA specs, just like they claim 30rnd magazines only hold 10
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
well fellas, I went to the local knife shop and only had to show em my mil ID. picked up the benchmade auto mini stryker for 144...

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cox.matt/knives.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]
To small!... J/K : )

Should last for a long time. What made you go with the smaller model?
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]
ive never really liked big knives, a 3 inch blade is really plenty for any applications of mine
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Remember that you cna mod just about any knofe to open fast

I have Spyderco knives that are point up carry, slap a zip tie through the hole (trim the tail as close as possible) and they open as soon as I pull them from my pocket, faster than any auto

I also have an M16 that with a slight loosening of the screw and some CLP became as fast to open as a snap of the wrist, just a minor snap, of course, I live in a crappy neighborhood, you do what you have to to survive[:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Ca law says 2 inch or under for autos.
For plain folders they don't care how big it is.
If you want to carry a 6 inch folder go for it.
I sold knives in Ca for years and years.
NoKarma out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#39]
You don't have to be Military/LE to purchase the autoknives.  You can't mail autoknives (Fed Law).  However, you can use other carriers, such as UPS, to ship the knives.  I have received autoknives in the mail, but they are not fully assembled - one had to finish assembling them.  I have most of the Benchmade autoknives, as well as several other brands.  Some I ordered out of state, some I bought in person, but they were not direct from the manufacturer - just dealers. I am not military/LE, nor did I have to produce any proof or was I asked to. If I recall correctly, Green Military was one of the companies who I bought Benchmade autoknives from (as well as others which were large companies), and they shipped them right to me in my state, and they didn't ask if I was military or LE.  I can't carry them around, just admire them at home.  I would carry the Ken Onion Blackout, but it is techically just a tad too long for local laws where I am for CC.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone know any state were a CC permit would give you the right to carry a full size 3.5" plus  auto opener.

Seems to me if I passed a background check for a firearm the knife would be a step down from a pistol.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Interesting thing: in Fla. the legislature recently clarified the statute on knives, making it clear (too late to save one poor bastard) that "switchblades" aren't prohibited. What are outlawed are those spetznatz knives or whatever they were called.

790.225  Ballistic self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1)  It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).

(2)  This section shall not apply to:

(a)  Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open.

View Quote

One of the knives I picked up was a Colt Model M16 knife, M16 meaning fully auto knife. They make a AR15 knife as well. Really slick auto folder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seems to me if I passed a background check for a firearm the knife would be a step down from a pistol.

View Quote

Well some times a knife "works" better than a gun. For example in a bar [place that serves booze] you can't carry a firearm period. Which is were LGBT get picked off most of the time.also alot of work places won't let you carry a popper ether.If and when Ohio passes a CCW I will carry a blade as well just because it gives me a more rounded defensive package.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I have the Benchmade Mini Stryker, and a TOPS folder.  I now carry the TOPS and have put the Benchmade in the safe.  The Benchmade is fast, and a very nice knife, but the TOPS is larger, more durable, and easier to use, and I CAN open it very quickly...well as quick as I would ever need it.  

The big advantage to the auto is not in everyday use, or really normal tactical use, but in an emergency situation where you might not be able to normally and quickly open the knife (ie - hand injury, etc..).  I could also see an advantage of the auto to those with smaller hands.  Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
anyone know about laws pertaining to putting knives in luggage for flying?
View Quote

If it is your CHECKED baggage, knives are ok.
I travel and my checked baggage has two muti tools and a 4" syderco. I have had my bags searched after checking them in about 50% of the time.

I really hate to be without my leatherman.

They are a NO NO  carry on baggage, even a multi tool(leatherman tool ) will get you in trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top