Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 9:34:27 AM EDT
Oh wait! This is a good thing.

Never mind...!

www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/27/82508.shtml

Federal Marriage Amendment Introduced in Senate
CNSNews.com
Thursday, Nov. 27, 2003

Three Republicans introduced a Federal Marriage Amendment in the U.S. Senate on Tuesday. The proposed constitutional amendment defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
Sen. Wayne Allard of Colorado sponsored the Federal Marriage Amendment along with co-sponsors Sam Brownback of Kansas and Jeff Sessions of Alabama.

The Alliance For Marriage, the group that drafted the proposed amendment, said its introduction in the Senate confirms that momentum is growing for a constitutional defense of marriage - especially in light of the recent court ruling in Massachusetts that cleared the way for same-sex couples to legally marry.

"Americans believe that gays and lesbians have a right to live as they choose, but they don't have a right to redefine marriage for our entire society," said Matt Daniels, president of the Alliance for Marriage.

He noted that a Federal Marriage Amendment introduced in the House in May now has 100 co-sponsors.

But homosexual advocacy groups said they are outraged, and they accused Republicans of grossly misusing the U.S. Constitution.

"The U.S. Constitution is no place to play election-year politics, particularly when our nation is facing other critical issues such as an uncertain economy, threats to our homeland, the safety of our troops in Iraq and skyrocketing health care costs," said HRC Executive Director Elizabeth Birch in a press release.

The Constitution should only be used to expand individual rights, not to single out a group of Americans for discrimination, Birch added.

But supporters of traditional marriage say a constitutional amendment is the only way to protect the institution of marriage from courts that go beyond their constitutional mandates.

The Family Research Council is urging conservatives to contact their senators during the holiday recess to express support for the Federal Marriage Amendment.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't care if homosexuals want to call themselves domestic partners or whatever else they choose, but marriage is what it is and has been for thousands of years. I don't care if they share medical insurance or contractually decide to share assets, none of my business and no skin off my nose.   I think this is a good ammendment that gives us a decent sense of direction on the issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
the courts will just undo whatever law they pass
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
No reason to open up the Constitution on a silly issue like this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the courts will just undo whatever law they pass
View Quote

I don't think the courts can do anything to an Amendment.  You can't declare a part of the Constitution to be unconstitutional. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top