Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2003 9:12:54 AM EDT
Is there any chance the Kel-tec Sub2k would be legal in Washington, D.C.? I know handguns are banned there, but not sure of the legality of long guns.

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope... It doesn't meet the minimum OAL portion of the law for long guns. It's something crazy like 28 inches OAL for a long gun.

A Remington 870 with a n18.5 inch barrel and full stock doesn't meet the OAL, so no way the Kel-Tec would.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a gun! You can't have a gun in D.C.!

Kinda' like, "That's a fire! You can't bring a fire onto an airplane!"
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Wrong.

You can have LONG GUNS in DC. But the process for getting the permit is VERY long, about 9 months to a year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Truthfully I thought it was possible. But the post sooo fit the fire/airplane line I couldn't resist. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, let's refine a bit, if someone were visiting a friend in NoVA and they might wander into DC to check out the sights, would it be legal?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably not. Federal law allows one to carry a firearm in a vehicle from one point to another, considering the gun is legal at the originating point and the destination. You can stop long enough for gas, eats or maybe a motel. But not if you're driving around sightseeing.

If you're going to play tourist you would be best advised to leave all guns at home. Unless, you really want to run the risk of being a test case in court.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/mallcase2.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top