Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2003 6:00:23 AM EDT
I went to school with this guy.  Last time I saw wim was only a couple of weeks ago.  I kn ew we was playing the mad scientist but I didn't think he would go this far.  Too bad they confiscated his Barrett.  Guess he should have left it in the barn                                                                                        More charges filed in explosives case

By GREG CUNNINGHAM
[email protected]
The Amarillo Globe-News

WAKA - Things were rapidly getting back to normal Wednesday after several days of extremely unusual activity caused by the discovery of explosive devices at a home in this tiny town near Perryton.
Ochiltree County Sheriff Joe Hataway said all the families that had been evacuated while the explosives were detonated over the past couple of days returned home Tuesday night, leaving only the final details to be taken care of.

"There's still quite a bit of paperwork to be done, and that will probably take a few days," Hataway said. "But other than that, everything's pretty well wrapped up."

While local law enforcement was taking care of the last details, the man who allegedly caused all the havoc was cooling his heels in the Ochiltree County Jail in Perryton on several new charges.

Daniel Archer, 26, was being held on charges of retaliation and possession of a chemical with intent to manufacture controlled substances, in addition to three earlier counts of possession of prohibited weapons, Hataway said.

Archer is also facing potential jail time in Kansas, where an earlier adjudicated sentence for narcotics charges was revoked based on this weekend's discovery.

Things started getting interesting around Waka on Saturday afternoon when authorities served a search warrant and found numerous explosive devices, materials for making explosives and materials that may have been intended for manufacturing drugs.

Officers backed out of the house and called in bomb experts from Amarillo and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.

Authorities evacuated neighboring houses and began detonating the devices.

Hataway said agents blew up seven or eight different homemade explosive devices, along with some dangerous chemicals.

The job was made easier by cold temperatures, which made the chemicals much more stable.

"There were some small explosive devices and some large ones," Hataway said.

Hataway said Archer made a statement, but he could not release the details. He said it appears, however, Archer had an interest in explosives and had been indulging that interest for some time. There was no indication he intended to hurt anyone with the devices, Hataway said.

"My observation is it was just a hobby of his," Hataway said. "But our worries were he would either blow himself up or somebody else. I really think this was a fascination for many years."

Hataway said that although the activities in Waka created a lot of headaches for officials, it also displayed the best side of that town as lots of people came forward with food and amenities.

"I've got a lot of people I need to thank," Hataway said. "Half the residents of Waka were bringing us food and drinks and offering support. I've got to find all of those people and say thank you. They took real good care of us."

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
wow, boobytraps
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy had enough to level the little town that he lives in.  I visited him today, and it turns out they didn't get the barrett.  Luckily, It was 30 miles away and in his dads name.  Too bad, all he was blowing up was dirt.  Explosives were kind of a hobby of his. After he gets done in Texas he goes to Kansas for his probation violation.  It sucks we drank many beers together.  We nevergot in any trouble together, only when we were aprt would I get into a fight and he would get arrested for something.  Looks like the next time I will get to see he will be in about 25 years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
if you see him in prison, tell him he's a narcoterrorist and deserves everything he gets

viva la war on drugs!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I would if he was making the stuff.  He wasn't.  All of the lab equipment was for his other experiments.  Don't get me wrong, he could have made it very easily, but he didn't for some reason.  And yes he does deserve everything he gets.  It is just sad that a very intelligent guy like him was doing such idiotic things with his life.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Texas, I used to live and work in that area, Canadian and Wheeler. Just remembering how bored I got there, I can understanding wanting to blow things up. Too bad, he really doesn't sound like a bad guy... fullclip
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
So what was the charge in kansas?? Was it meth or something else??

What was the retaliation angle??

Homemade goodies are part of the fun of living in Texas...Doesn't sound like he was (too)dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the charge in Kansas was for posession of meth.  He finally got off of it though and was on probation.  The retaliation was for threatining the cops and he also threatend  to blow up the courthouse.  Yes he blames all cops for everything
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Quoted:
I went to school with this guy.  Last time I saw wim was only a couple of weeks ago.[/b]

keep your mouth shut.

[b]Things were rapidly getting back to normal Wednesday after several days of extremely unusual activity caused by the discovery of explosive devices at a home in this tiny town near Perryton.[/b]

[b]"But other than that, everything's pretty well wrapped up."[/b]

firm case against him, with planted evidence.

[b]...cooling his heels in the Ochiltree County Jail in Perryton on several new charges.[/b]

more planted evidence.  

[b]possession of a chemical with intent to manufacture controlled substances, in addition to three earlier counts of possession of prohibited weapons[/b]

tobacco and rolling papers.  prohibited weapons, ninja stars and switch blade knife.

[b]Things started getting interesting around Waka on Saturday afternoon when authorities served a search warrant and found numerous explosive devices, materials for making explosives and materials that may have been intended for manufacturing drugs.[/b]

wonder who snitched on him?
"that [b]may have been intended for...[/b]"

[b]Officers backed out of the house and called in bomb experts from Amarillo and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.[/b]

did they burn his house down?

[b]Authorities evacuated neighboring houses..[/b]

limited the number of eye witnessess.

[b]some dangerous chemicals.[/b]

a mercury filled thermometer.

[b]The job was made easier by cold temperatures, which made the chemicals much more stable.[/b]

how hot does it get down there?

[b]"There were some small explosive devices and some large ones," Hataway said.[/b]

those small exploding sticker targets from gunshows.

[b]Hataway said Archer made a statement, but he could not release the details.[/b]

doesn't match with their story.

[b]There was no indication he intended to hurt anyone with the devices, Hataway said.[/b]

always great to infringe on people when they have yet to commit a crime.  this could lead to many things ie, gun confiscation.

[b]"I've got a lot of people I need to thank," Hataway said. "Half the residents of Waka were bringing us food and drinks and offering support.[/b]

damn snitches.

after reading Enemies Foreign and Domestic i'm a little more paranoid.  heheh.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I think inferno715 is in the X ring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top