Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 9:04:01 AM EDT
Got my 13.5# Butterball today, it's brining as we speak, gonna shoot 'er up in the AM, fry for 40 minutes, and MMMMMMMMMMM!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I fried one yesterday for our Faculty Dinner.

Your time is off a little.  Mine was also 13.5 pounds.  3.5 minutes a pound @ 350 is 47 minutes.  [;)]

Mine was perfectly done.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
[wave]

Not sure how big it is yet...but, that peanut oil just keep going up in price every year.[furious]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorta!  My Daddy's gonna fry that bad boy up!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
me, me, me, it makes peta mad, so i will roast a couple extra, just for them, and send pics
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[wave]

Not sure how big it is yet...but, that peanut oil just keep going up in price every year.[furious]
View Quote

No kidding!

The College paid for 4 of the 6 gallons required to fry the bird.  I bought the other 2 gallons.  It was just vegetable oil from Wally World and it was still 4.48 a gallon!

Peanut oil (not a blend of peanut and veg) was 23.00 for 3 gallons!  The blend was cheaper (18.00 ?) for 3 gallons.

Just so you know, there is really NOT a big difference between the flavor of peanut and vegetable oil.  the burn point is the main difference.  Peanut can take a higher heat (375+) before breaking down and smoking.  Drop the bird in the grease at 350, exactly, and the temp will drop to about 305.

It should remain at 305 for the duration of the cooking, until the last few minutes when the temp will begin to climb.

305-350 is fine for Vegetable oil.  It will not burn.

I drained off the used oil from my bird and put it back in the original container.  There was LESS than 2 cups wasted/used.  That includes the drippings from removing the bird, the waste on the inside of the pot and spillage from pouring it in to a small container.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[wave]

View Quote

No kidding!

The College paid for 4 of the 6 gallons required to fry the bird.  I bought the other 2 gallons.  It was just vegetable oil from Wally World and it was still 4.48 a gallon!

Peanut oil (not a blend of peanut and veg) was 23.00 for 3 gallons!  The blend was cheaper (18.00 ?) for 3 gallons.

Just so you know, there is really NOT a big difference between the flavor of peanut and vegetable oil.  the burn point is the main difference.  Peanut can take a higher heat (375+) before breaking down and smoking.  Drop the bird in the grease at 350, exactly, and the temp will drop to about 305.

It should remain at 305 for the duration of the cooking, until the last few minutes when the temp will begin to climb.

305-350 is fine for Vegetable oil.  It will not burn.

I drained off the used oil from my bird and put it back in the original container.  There was LESS than 2 cups wasted/used.  That includes the drippings from removing the bird, the waste on the inside of the pot and spillage from pouring it in to a small container.

TRG
View Quote

I usually re-used mine for the next year or in most cases..Christmas. I fry 2 at Thanksgiving and 1 at Christmas. This year, I'm having to get all new oil..sucks. Sam's is the cheapest, but still cost a freakin' fortune.

I might try the blend...my Dad swears he can taste the difference. I don't know how, I use Tony Chacheros like nobody's business and that is the majority of the taste to me. Course I also throw some yellow onions in for extra flavor...then pull them out before they burn..they taste good also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually re-used mine for the next year or in most cases..Christmas. I fry 2 at Thanksgiving and 1 at Christmas. This year, I'm having to get all new oil..sucks. Sam's is the cheapest, but still cost a freakin' fortune.

I might try the blend...my Dad swears he can taste the difference. I don't know how, I use Tony Chacheros like nobody's business and that is the majority of the taste to me. Course I also throw some yellow onions in for extra flavor...then pull them out before they burn..they taste good also.
View Quote

Do you rub Tony Chachere on the outside of the bird before frying it?

I use Tome's Cajun Spice on mine as a rub.  It has less salt than Tony's.  I inject only about 3/4 cup of a Soy Sauce based marinade in mine.  

I think the 'Peanut Oil' thing is all in your dad's head.  My wife's uncle can give you an ingredient list just by tasting a bite of a meal.  Right down to the amount of salt that you used.

He was 'sold' on the Peanut Oil flavor until he actually started trying some other oils (ran out of peanut oil one day and had to do without it).  He has even used baking shortening (the solid white blocks to fry with.  

The Cajun Spice makes the flavor, imho.

You just drop the onions in to the grease?  Whole?  Never heard of that before.  Do you eat teh onions or are they added for flavor?  Like lemons in a crab boil?

TRG
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#8]
We are making a honey ham here, gonna have the turkey at my sisters house this weekend when we go..
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I took my 14 year old nephew on three Jr. Pheasant hunts. He got 5 birds. His Grandpa will deep fry the pheasant just like last year. They were fantastic.  These were pen raised, planted birds for the Fish and Game Jr. hunts not wild birds, but big and real good fliers.

p.s. If anyone is going to smoke a bird have you ever smoked eggs? They come out like hard boiled but a little colored due to smoke going through the shell. Very good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
We make 2 one fried, one baked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Frying one on Thursday, and two on Friday. Do it every year. Gets me out of the house for the duration. I'm usually pretty lit by the time the first bird is donoe. You know, you gotta keep yourself hydrated while maintaining the oil temperature.
[beer]  [booze]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]
One Turk is injected, the other is just basted in Tony's. I do the rub down of olive oil, Tony's and a little red wine tonight. Put it in the refrigerator and I'm ready to fry tomorrow @ 11:00..I will wait to inject the one turkey tomorrow a.m...that stuff tends to bleed out.

The onions were my grandfathers idea years ago..he likes onions so do I. We skin them good and cut the top and bottom off, cut a couple in half, some go in whole. When they get done, they float to the top. Scoop them out with with french fry scoop. And yes, it does add flavor to the bird. it only takes them about 5-10 minutes maybe...they are awesome. We lay them out beside the bird on the plate...mmmm..mmmm. Dripping with peanut oil..that, added with the gravy on the bird...dude, cannot go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I never had fried turkey before,  what are the differences regarding taste and texture between a roasted and fried bird???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#14]
for a few years we were on a kick to fry up about 30 turkeys every thanksgiving to give out to employees and friends.......to start off we injected all of them then we got tired of screwing with it and just threw them in there, nobody could tell which ones had been injected and which hadn't, not worth the trouble unless you're just bored anyway........
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I never had fried turkey before, what are the differences regarding taste and texture between a roasted and fried bird???
View Quote

one is edible one is not..........

ok, ok, ok...........the fried turkey isn't dry as the sahara
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never had fried turkey before,  what are the differences regarding taste and texture between a roasted and fried bird???
View Quote

No real difference, except that you [b]never[/b] end up with meat so dry it chokes you, as can happen when you roast 'em. Fried is very good, and fast.

As for me, my bro-in-law is frying a couple. I' roasting one and I'm also smoking a goose. It's a huge damned smoker (100 gal oil tank) and I'm thinking of throwing a ham in their too, since it'll be humming away anyhow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#17]
For those of you that are considering doing this, you should use a special pot to minimize the oil needed for the job. Also it should be done outside. Here is a link to a complete set-up that simplifies things. Also several other links for Louisiana products.

[url]http://www.brucefoods.com/sr/index.sr?Screen=ITM&Site_Code=bf&Item_Code=22174-01931&Section_Code=9600[/url]

[url]http://www.tonychachere.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I fried one yesterday for our Faculty Dinner.

Your time is off a little.  Mine was also 13.5 pounds.  3.5 minutes a pound @ 350 is 47 minutes.  [;)]

Mine was perfectly done.

TRG
View Quote

I have actually found that I prefer a 3 minute per pound cook time.  It is always to 180, right on the cusp.  Don't matter, it's all good!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I will boil my bird, same as I did the last few years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will boil my bird, same as I did the last few years.
View Quote

BOIL?[:\]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BOIL?[:\]
View Quote

Yes, Boil!

Get a really big pot, and put a small pie tin upside down in the bottom.  Season bird to taste, and place breast down on the pie tin.  Chop some onions, bell peppers, and garlic and throw it in the pot with your favorite herbs and spices. Pour in a bottle of moderately priced chardonnay wine.  Cover and place on a medium heat until the done.  I like to put a small weight on the lid to help keep the flavor in.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Ahhh...much better.  But you see, that is not boiling, that is a variation on poaching.  Boiling is putting it in a pot of water and boiling until done, not waht you're doing.  Boiling is a travesty.  Poaching, or your slight variation, is a good thing.  Boiling.  Hehe.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I cooked a 12 pounder this morning. Injected with Louann's Cajun butter and dusted outside with Tony Chachere's cooked in peanut oil turned out wonderful. We had 35 people for lunch today and had baked, smoked, and fried turkey. Guess which one I don't have any left of.

I think I'm gonna do one injected with Italian dressing for Christmas just to see how it will turn out.

BTW for those who think this is a messy process I made a bigger mess trying to strain the oil and put it back in the container than I did actually cooking the bird.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
It was FANTASTIC!  11.5 pounds, 7 people, nothing left.  No sandwiches, no NOTHING.  I scraped bones in vain as the gristle was even gone.

The bird was injected a few nights earlier and yes, it DOES soak in if you use the multiple injection method.  See a surgical textbook on local anesthesia...one piercing of the skin, partially withdraw and reorient on another axis...

It was all good and well with my bro, the PhD university prof "expert" telling us how long, i.e. 3.5 minutes per pound.  We start at 1135 hours.  He proclaims at 1200 time is up and we should take the temperature.  Right.  3.5 minute per pound times 10 pounds is 35 mintes which would be time up at 1210 but this is an 11.5 pound bird.  Well, temp at 1200 was only 125 F.  Rare.

Sure enough, at 1215, the temp was 180 F and bird was perfect.  Could not keep cousin off the crisp stuff and yes, you couold taste the injection.  

BTW, make sure to put a touch of lime zest with juice in the cranberry!  ITS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top