Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 8:31:41 AM EDT
Anyone have any experiance with the Robinson Amorment 96 rifle or carbine. I was thinking about purchaseing one. Worth it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of their earlier rifle models, but haven't fired it yet.

The things are VERY well built. In fact, one can argue that they are OVER built, since they are anything but lightweight.

I have heard and read little other than praise for its accuracy and reliability. Some problems have been reported (such as the barrels launching off the front end in the very early models) but many of those have been tracked back to improper reassembly by the owner. Modifications and improvements have been made since mine was purchased (back in 2001).

A lot of the gripes you hear ar AR-types who think it's too heavy, or too expensive, or whatever.

The times I've contacted the company for questions (both via e-mail and phone), I have gotten quick, accurate, and VERY curteous answers.

If you haven't looked there already, try the following board:

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/m96/[/url]

The bottom line is, if you like it, and you can afford it, you will likely not be disappointed. It's definitely more expensive than a quality AR, but it's decidedly different (I, for one, prefer gas-piston to gas tube). It's also modular (if you're into that kind of thing) although the "kits" often cost as much as a regular AR.

There it is. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Just from the looks of it, it seems to be based on the Stoner 63 system. I thought the 63 was a good looking weapon system but from what I've read they did have some feeding problems.  The were used by the SEAL's in the Delta and worked good because the SEAL's know how to clean and maintain their weapons better then "regular" troops did.  They do seem a bit pricy but if you have the money to spend on one then by all means, get one.  They take standard AR mags so that's a plus.  I think the one that take the mag on top of the receiver(Bren style) is a very cool looking rifle and with a bipod it'd make a neat rifle to shoot from the prone position.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one of their earlier rifle models, but haven't fired it yet.

The things are VERY well built. In fact, one can argue that they are OVER built, since they are anything but lightweight.

I have heard and read little other than praise for its accuracy and reliability. Some problems have been reported (such as the barrels launching off the front end in the very early models) but many of those have been tracked back to improper reassembly by the owner. Modifications and improvements have been made since mine was purchased (back in 2001).

A lot of the gripes you hear ar AR-types who think it's too heavy, or too expensive, or whatever.

The times I've contacted the company for questions (both via e-mail and phone), I have gotten quick, accurate, and VERY curteous answers.

If you haven't looked there already, try the following board:

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/m96/[/url]

The bottom line is, if you like it, and you can afford it, you will likely not be disappointed. It's definitely more expensive than a quality AR, but it's decidedly different (I, for one, prefer gas-piston to gas tube). It's also modular (if you're into that kind of thing) although the "kits" often cost as much as a regular AR.

There it is. Good luck!
View Quote

I picked one up at the shop a few days ago. I was not impressed. The reciever looked and felt like it was all stampped sheet metal. I got a funny feeling about it just standing there with it in the shop. I haven't even put one through it's paces but I would like the chance just to see if looks are in fact deceiving when it comes to this gun.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I love my AR's but looking for something different this time. I have had HK 91,94,SP89 FNLAR's and M1A1's.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
i will stay with the ar
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up the latest (all upgrades) factory offering about a month ago.  I will be shooting it on a decent upcoming weekend.  I picked up a tube stock for it.  Looks and feels solid.  Can't tell you much more at this time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
For the record: I'll likely be either trading mine in for an updated carbine version, or purchasing the carbine version outright and updating mine to this:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=5794&iGalleryUnq=347&iImageUnq=20155[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Brother Z, that is one fine pic you've got there.

On topic, I think the '96 is a good rifle with good features. The design concept is sound but the price seems high when you compare it to a quality AR.

Perhaps someday the Goblin will purchase one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like the M96. The top feed setup is the best way I know to shoot large quantities of 5.56 accurately in a short period of time without going with a full auto [;)] At one group shot we were dumping 30 round mags in 5 seconds into a 12" circle at 100 yards.

[img]http://www.supercharger.net/private/TF1.jpg[/img]

The carbine is also a lot of fun to shot. It's heavier than a similar sized AR, but feels sturdier.

[img]http://www.supercharger.net/private/m96recon.jpg[/img]

The rifle has proven to be very accurate shooter.  I've been thinking about using it in one of my club matches that doesn't require a DCM legal gun.

[img]http://www.supercharger.net/private/m96rifle.jpg[/img]

Mounting the bipods was really simple; just used a screw type stud mount and put it in the first hole in the lower handguards.

The price is a bit offputting, and they don't turn up all that often as cheap used guns.  I wouldn't give up my ARs for my M96s, but if you are looking for something different they are a lot of fun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top