Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 7:43:47 AM EDT
cabelas link

Kangaroo Leather Insulated Shooting Glove
Now featuring the Shooter's Touch trigger finger. These gloves are made from full-grain kangaroo leather;
they're five times stronger than cowhide graded at the same thickness. Insulated with 40-gram Thinsulate™ for warmth without bulk. Spandex® inserts at the knuckles.
Due to state law, these gloves cannot be shipped to California. Imported.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, it's not like the 'roo is still alive.

Actually, I would like to see more businesses restrict the sale of their most mundane stuff in California, just to make point, but that's cutting your own nose off to spite your face since ~10% of the nation's population lives there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to say sorry if this offends anyone. It's not meant too. But it seems like Kalifornia is the most screwed up state in the United States. You have the most repressive laws, stricted ordinances, drug users and morons running the government (meaning Hollywood actually runs your government) and everyone seems to not want to stand up when their rights are taken away. I have been to Kali many times, it is beautiful and I did have a lot of fun there; but everyone I know there "talks" about how bad it is, but they don't do anything about it. Yeah, you guys voted out Gray Davis, but only after he took you all to the brink of hell. And from my understanding it's won't be back from the brink anytime soon.

So to any CA brothers out there: Why don't you all start pressuring your legislature and pressuring the people to restore your rights? Kali is the state with the largest activist population, so where are they when it comes to restoring rights and correcting things? I am not talking about just your AWB ban. I am talking about the undocumented aliens that strip jobs away, etc.? Why don't they deport illegals? What is going on there???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not at all offended. It's like living in a circus when you live in California. But that's part of the allure. If I wanted to live somewhere quiet, I'd move to Montana or soemthing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
boy that place must suck....
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It's really not too bad. The only thing that bothers me is the mandatory monthly tree hugging. Around where I live there are some normal trees, but I feel for the people living in the high desert with only Joshua trees.

CW
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys ever see those coin purses made with kangaroo ballsacks?  Pretty cool, if you're not the 'roo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
They must have a ban on any leather products not made of cowhide.

[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=61615[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They must have a ban on any leather products not made of cowhide.

[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=61615[/url]
View Quote

There's some shit about "reptile skin" products. (endangered species???) But i've got deer and roo hide boots that were bought here. I think it's one of the dork-laws that  nobody but outta-staters seem concerned about...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20030421-1754-cnskangaroos.html[/url]

La Mesa lawmaker introduces bill to end state ban on kangaroo products        

By Michael Gardner
COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

5:54 p.m., April 21, 2003

SACRAMENTO – In emotional pitches defending the cuddly and carnivorous alike, animal rights activists worldwide have mounted a ferocious defense of a unique California law that prohibits importing products made of kangaroo, crocodile or alligator.

"This law affords California the ability to say we don't approve of the way these animals are being slaughtered," said Lauren Ornelas, an activist from Davis.

State Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth, R-La Mesa, has introduced legislation to repeal the ban – a move that could open California's stores to kangaroo-hide soccer cleats, alligator boots and a range of other products for the first time in 30 years.

Hollingsworth said he recognizes endearing images of kangaroos and their young rally many activists.

"It's an emotional reaction," Hollingsworth said. "If people looked at it from a conservation standpoint, most of these animals are farm-raised and not endangered in any way."

But activists say that opening the California market could accelerate population declines among all species of kangaroo, alligator and crocodile. California is the only state in the nation with such a ban.

"These animals are being butchered," said Jerold Friedman of Hawthorne. "This law was passed to reduce the supply of goods to reduce the butchering."

The legislation faces an uphill battle when it goes before the Senate Natural Resources and Wildlife Committee today. Democrats control the panel and its most influential members are vocal supporters of animal rights.

The committee has been inundated with letters and telephone calls opposing Hollingsworth's measure, SB 233. Opposition has come from as far as Australia, where those seeking to protect kangaroos have recounted horror stories of what happens to the animals.

"The killing of kangaroos is the largest terrestrial slaughter in the world," claimed Pat O'Brien, coordinator of the National Kangaroo Protection Association in that country.

Opponents of the bill argue that there are plenty of durable, cost-effective synthetics for shoes, belts or other products. Other meat is plentiful as well, they say.

"Why do we need it?" asked Phyllis Daugherty, of Los Angeles. "It's not going to make an impact on our economy. It's not worth the suffering of these animals."

Hollingsworth insists he is not doing the bidding of importers, or of an international shoe maker that uses kangaroo for its cleats.

"I didn't even know (cleats made of kangaroo) existed until after the environmental rights wackos started sending us e-mails," he said.

The idea for legislation came to him after thumbing through outdoor cataloges that carry a disclaimer that kangaroo, crocodile and alligator products cannot legally be shipped to California, said Hollingsworth, an avid hunter and outdoorsman.

No group has come forward to support the legislation, according to a Senate committee analysis, which recommends maintaining the ban.

The bill went nowhere and the ban stayed in place. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
At least it's not Detroit!

[;D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the late 70's or early 80's Foodmaker found out from the Aussie gummint that one of it's suppliers was sending "beef" that wasn't all beef.  They were told not to worry it wasn't roo.  There's something new at the box.

Wassamatta with hugging Joshua Trees?  Think of all the poor unfortunates on here what aint never seen a Joshua Tree except when watching Buffy?

Joshuas are another one of those little things about CA that help make it CA.  They fit right in with the Mojave Greens.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya ,
California does have some screwed up laws. But I do believe unfortunetly that all states in the U.S will be like this damm state sooner or later. I think eventually the horrible gun laws here may spread to more states over the next few years.
SUCKS!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At least it's not Detroit!

[;D]
View Quote
[stick]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got a point there. [rolleyes]

[grenade]

Ok, but in Detroit you can carry a gun. Oh wait, you HAVE to carry a gun. I think I would rather have to carry a gun instead of not being able to have one at all.  [spank]

[peep] [wave]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Michigan? They've got more than their share of silly laws:

Cars may not be sold on Sunday. [shock]

It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house. [:(]

You may not swear in front of women and children. (Repealed) Damn!

No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.

And in Detroit:

Couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.

Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited.

It is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday. [lol]

It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose. According to history and animal husbandry, it prevents them from "rooting" in the ground for their food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top