Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 2:39:28 AM EDT
http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bathrooms26.html

Transgender, gay and feminist groups at the University of Chicago are asking officials to consider creating more gender-neutral bathrooms, saying some people aren't comfortable selecting a gender-specific facility.

"Persons who are not easily legible as male or female often experience various forms of intimidation in these places. If a woman in a women's-only restroom is assumed to be a man, there may be real threats to her comfort and even safety," warns the Coalition for a Queer Safe Campus, a student group comprised of various organizations supporting equality on campus. "Students have faced gay-baiting comments in our university's sex-segregated bathrooms."

The issue is especially of concern to transgenders who attend the university. The coalition said they know of students who don't use the bathrooms at school to avoid any controversy.

Members of the Feminist Majority, Queers & Associates and the Center for Gender Studies held a panel at the university last week to discuss the issue. Moon Duchin, a graduate student at U. of C. and an adviser to the Queer Safe Campus bathroom initiative, said there is a misperception on campus from some students about the gender-neutral bathrooms.

She said after the panel convened and word spread about the topic, some students posted negative comments on Web sites about the movement.

"This is a hot-button issue with some people who think that we are trying to do away with conventional bathrooms," Duchin said. "But that's not the case. We are trying to create more choices for people."

In the short term, the group wants to change existing bathrooms on one floor of the Joseph Regenstein Library and one floor of Cobb Hall, a popular student hangout. In the future, the group would like the university to consider gender-neutral bathrooms to be included in the plans for new buildings.

"Access to public, single-occupancy bathrooms would be ideal for undercutting this source of intimidation, but converting existing multi-stall bathrooms to gender neutrality is an excellent, and easy, intermediate step," the group writes on its Web site.

University officials said they are willing to look at the buildings to see if more bathrooms can be added.

"They have done a great job of raising community awareness of the issue," said Bill Michel, associate dean of the college. "We are in the process of evaluating these two buildings to see if would be possible to create more bathrooms."

Michel said the university already has nine gender-neutral bathrooms but none in the two most popular buildings.

But it is more than just a gay and transgender issue, for some feminists the issue of gender specific bathrooms has been a problem for years.

"Some feminists might say that any sex segregation is problematic," said Mary Anne Case, a professor of law at the University of Chicago who has studied the early roots of feminism and the inequality in sex segregated bathrooms.

Case said that along with creating more bathroom space for women -- a typical problem in public facilities -- the gender-neutral bathroom would also give men and women less reasons to separate in social functions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa nelly!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
So now we can start calling them "queers" again? I always preferred that term over all the others anyway. Lets just make a third choice, "Men" "Women" "Queers".
Personally, I prefer to put all these "queers" in a hospital until a cure is found.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
For the first two years of college the school I went to was all male and when women would come to the dorms I guess we had gender neutral bathrooms since both men and women used them. After the initial shock it really was no big deal, it wasn't like we were able to see each other naked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I propose the following:

|   MEN    | |   WOMEN  | |   OTHER   |
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I accept your proposal.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Does that mean your an "other"? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
How about;

MEN - WOMEN - Idiots with too much friggen time on their hands. Get a life you "Kolugg" Assholes!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

does that mean if i want to be with wimminz, i pick door #2? [:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno if its aliens from outerspace taking over our country or every weirdo who gets a smidget of authority and tries to flip the script.  The majority rules, fuck'em!

[b]Use the bathroom like everyone else punk![/b]

I hate BS proposals and changes that are impractical and ridiculous!  Arrrgh.  
Sorry for the rant.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Other than knowing someone else is around(precautions) I try not to "pay attention" to whomever else is in the restrooms with me.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]I hate BS proposals and changes that are impractical and ridiculous![/b]
View Quote

[begin liberal punk voice] "But Hey Man....we owe it to the planet Man to make a statement Man.....you know.....about the opressed.....you know.....the genderless....Man....like, you know, they're opressed Man.....C'mon dude.[end liberal punk voice]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.users.muohio.edu/cliftojd/misc/signs.jpg"[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
[LOLabove]

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#14]
this is totaly a joke, what utter nonsense
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The issue is especially of concern to transgenders who attend the university. The coalition said they know of students who don't use the bathrooms at school to avoid any controversy.
View Quote

God bless 'em, but if you have a personal problem that keeps you from using a public restroom, you should stay home or wear diapers, not ask other people to pay to accommodate your insecurities.

"This is a hot-button issue with some people who think that we are trying to do away with conventional bathrooms," Duchin said. "But that's not the case. We are trying to create more choices for people."
View Quote

This part, I like. I've always thought we should have more bathroom choices. For example, we could go in and pee, poop, or discharge foam peanuts from our ears. Or maybe they could set up bathrooms with commodes, urinals, and sewing machines and you pick the one you want. Perhaps they could set out a variety of fabrics and objects to be shat upon. You know, maybe you'd rather poop on a silk pillow or a chevy hubcap than in a toilet.

Although I benefitted from the program, this has got to a by-product of student loan guarantees. If these loons had to work, they'd have neither the time nor the inclination to worry about crap like this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
THE VOICE OF REASON....

WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM WITH PUBLIC BATHROOMS????  

ANS:  WOMEN ARE ALWAYS WAITING IN LINE TO USE THE TOILET....

MAKE MORE STALL'S FOR THE LADIES....

[Ladies that read this, I thank you for your applause.]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Next time I'm back east, I'm going to swing by that school and piss in the sink in the girls bathroom.  "Sorry, I thought this was a gender neutral bathroom..."
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]
How about  Men, Women, and Wannabe

Heheh  That about covers it....

MournSword
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
i must apologize for the new sign...

i saw the one above...

and well, honestly, i feel that the right most sign was redundant, as anyone in PRK knows that the activity alluded to on the far right sign will happen behind the sign on door #2.

so, i thought this was more in the spirit of the intended change....

[img]http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/tmp/arfcom_signs.jpg[/img]

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]
How much is that going to cost?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was at UC Riverside in the mid 90's the word was that most of the old dorms up at UC Berkley did have unisex bathrooms and showers. Some of the Asian kids from the bay area had done the tour of Berkley with their parents during thir Senior years in high school and said that their parents were not pleased with that fact and it was why they were going to school "down south" instead of just across the bay. The basic reason was that the dorms were so old that they had only been built for one gender or the other, and thus had only one bathroom/shower for each floor.

I lived in a brand new dorm building at UCR. It was built with toilets only, no urinals, that way they only had to change the sign on the door to switch from male to female. And the showers had doors that locked just like the toilet stalls.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
When those girls get a snoot full of one of my big smelly loads, they'll change their minds right quick.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a happy day for the pervs who enjoy hearing a woman pee!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
heard rush talking about his today

he was making up an example of a

"transgender" women who had an "adadicktomy" operation

[lol]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]
how about those freaks in the animal costumes?  where do they go?

this is rediculous.  now we gotta go change the damn world cuz some fruit wants to pretend he's a chick..or some feminazi doesn't have a real cause and feels the need to validate herself somehow.  

when will it end?  how about liberal and conservative bathrooms?  i don't want some liberal homo standing next to me at the urinal looking at my junk.  dammit, i'm offended!  someone change the world to suit me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top