Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 6:28:42 PM EDT
It would seem that the whackos are starting to invade and subvert what's left of Free America.

www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/7346066.htm

Coyote hunt fund-raiser canceled after howls of protest

Associated Press

TAMAQUA, Pa. - A planned coyote hunt to benefit a local Salvation Army branch was called off after howls of protests from animal-rights groups.

The "Shotguns and Pickup Trucks Coyote Hunt" scheduled in January was canceled Monday, the day after a newspaper story about the event.

"I've had nothing but phone calls today," Salvation Army Capt. Sharon Cupp said. "The coyote hunt is canceled."

Lehigh Valley Animal Rights Coalition president Virginia Wolfe said she was stunned to learn of the event. Activists had planned to drop dollar bill-size protest notes in Salvation Army collection kettles before the event was canceled.

"Blood sports just make people boil," Wolfe said. "It certainly diminishes all of us as human beings."

The hunt was not sponsored by the Salvation Army but by members of the Tamaqua chapter's advisory board, Cupp said. The same group previously organized a sale of sporting goods to raise money for the chapter.

In Pennsylvania, anyone with a hunting license can hunt coyotes at any time of the year.

Almost half of the $20 registration fee for the planned hunt would have gone to the Salvation Army. The rest of the money would have gone toward prizes for successful hunters.

The Tamaqua branch of the Salvation Army serves parts of Schuylkill and Carbon counties, where hunting is popular. Many public schools in the counties close for the first day of buck season.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Tamaqua branch of the Salvation Army serves parts of Schuylkill and Carbon counties, where hunting is popular. Many public schools in the counties close for the first day of[red] buck[/red] season.
View Quote

Is that when they collect money for the starvation army?[%|]

People should learn to mind thier own bussines when it comes to protesting against helping the poor. They only took away from those in need, they didn't save a yote. Loosers.[:(!]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess they think it's cute when these cuddly coyotes destroy cute bunny rabbits and livestock???
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What really needs to happen is for someone to organize the hunt anyway and donate the money anyway to the Salvation Army or to another worthy charity. If the money raised goes somewhere else make sure the local media finds out that the money would have gone to Salvation Army. I wonder if the animal rights whackos ever give money to worthy groups or if they just fuck things up for the ones that do.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My answer would have been

Coyote, The other white meat!!!

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
helping a worthy cause and anti's fuck it up,  they need to get a life, here in IL we have OPEN SEASON on coyottes, they dont really help anythign by being here... and anyone thats ever been hunting for coyottes knows it's not that easy to get one...i think it'll damn funny when there pet cat or dog, or rabbit, or whatever gets eaten by a coyotte...

try telling you kid fluffy got ate by a coyotte... that'll be fun...

damn the anti hunters animal rights dumbasses!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree beekeeper that's what I had in mind when I said another worthy group. I also like Salvation Army and hate that they are bowing to pressure from nut jobs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Ironic that a woman named WOLFE stopped a COYOTE hunt.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
the anti's win another one.  why the hell do people cave in to a few extremists?  as soon as they stop doing that the sooner the whackos get depressed about not changing anything and give up.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[red][b]UPDATE[/B][/RED]

[url]http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/7363436.htm[/url]

Coyote hunt fund-raiser back on with different sponsor

Associated Press

TAMAQUA, Pa. - A coyote hunting contest planned to benefit a local Salvation Army chapter but called off after protests from animal-rights groups is back on - but with an unnamed sponsor and no connection with the charity.

The "Shotguns and Pickup Trucks Coyote Hunt" was scheduled in January but canceled Monday after a newspaper story. Members of the advisory board of the Salvation Army's Tamaqua chapter said Wednesday that the hunt would go on with a different sponsor.

"The Outdoor Expo Committee and the Salvation Army have absolutely nothing to do with it," said Linda Yulenavage, speaking on behalf of the committee, which is made up of members of the advisory board.

The committee identified the new sponsor only as "a local sports club."

"Out of respect for the wishes of the Salvation Army, the Outdoor Expo Committee has decided to abandon its plans to be associated in any way with this planned event," the group said in a statement.

"We are still upset about it, but we have no venue to address it," said Virginia Wolfe, president of the Lehigh Valley Animal Rights Coalition. "As long as they had an organization involved we could lean on them."

In Pennsylvania, anyone with a hunting license can hunt coyotes at any time of the year.

Organizers said earlier that the contest would take place Jan. 10-17 in Schuylkill, Carbon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Monroe, Northampton and Pike counties, and cash prizes would be awarded for the heaviest coyotes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top