Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 3:47:35 PM EDT
mensnewsdaily.com/archive/a-e/blow/03/blow112403.htm

A couple of excerpts:

Richard Willing writes, “DNA profiles from hundreds of thousands of juvenile offenders and adults arrested but not convicted of crimes could be added to the FBI's national DNA crime-fighting program under a proposed law moving through Congress. [Emphasis mine.]

“The law, if enacted, would be the greatest single expansion of the federal government's power to collect and use DNA since the FBI's national database was created in 1992. The FBI says its national DNA database holds genetic profiles from about 1.4 million adults convicted of state and federal crimes.

“The changes, in a little-noticed section of a bill that would authorize $755 million for DNA testing, were approved by the House of Representatives on Nov. 5. Backers say the Senate is likely to approve a similar version by early next year.”

[...]

In the names of fighting crime and national security, a basic doctrine of the American justice system — presumption of innocence — is about to disappear forever for citizens arrested and/or targeted by State agents.  

There is no turning back the clock; 9/11 has given the State all the justification it deems necessary, the technology is readily available, and Congress stands ready to fund this crime-fighting law today. Who will stand in its way? Answer: nobody. Ayn Rand was right:  

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.”  

"We are fast approaching the stage in the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest period of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Happy Thanksgiving.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Ten years ago the miltary started collecting DNA samples with swabs and blood telling them that the samples would only be used for ID purposes to ID body parts. Recently the records have been handed over for criminal purposes. Sorry screwed again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The last thing we want to do is put more tools in the hands of law enforcement to solve crimes.

The cops took my fingerprints when I had an encounter with them and I wasn't arrested.  how is this any different?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not a criminal or a terrorist, you have nothing to fear.

We must all do our part to stamp out terrorism..
That is all.
Out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.pre-ban.com/forums/html/emoticons/tinfoil.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, given the fact that more laws are dumped on the books every day and existing laws are strengthened, the gooberment can pretty well find SOMETHING to nail you on and most likely ramp it up to a felony without trying too hard.  Even if they don’t really have a case they can take your property, curtail your rights and drain your bank account as you struggle to defend yourself.  When it’s all over you could be living in a cardboard box.

They win, you lose.

As for the terrorist thing, that’s become the new “Red Scare” of the decade.  Don’t like what someone is doing?  Instead of labeling them a Communist or Pinko as in days gone by, just call them the “T” word and find a law that covers anyone that is suspected of being one.  BINGO!  You’re not only an criminal but a Criminal Terrorist.

Boy are you fucked up the ass in record time!

The only thing stopping this is some self-restraint and a few remaining checks and balances on the powers-that-be.  Wait until THAT goes away with the election of Hillary or someone like her.

Any of you younger people out there that haven’t studied Hitler’s rise to power need to do so NOW.  The parallels are alarming to stay the least.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Important milestones like this bill (if it passes, probably will) seem to go unnoticed nowadays. Everyone will be up in arms if a ref makes a bad call in some meaningless game though. First its the "fingerprint your child" program and then when all the sheeple are used to it, it'll be "Dna sample please, that fingerprint stuff is unreliable!"  When your baby is born they'll just take a sample while running down the check list. Just like Social security numbers were only for tax collection from working age adults. Now a nurse comes to your hospital room when a baby is born and demands your completed form for a SS card. We even declined and they assigned my son a number anyway. When we called about the mistake they said "Nobody ever declines so we made a mistake". I said take it back then and they said "No can do".
If anyone doesn't see mandatory Dna sample at birth right around the corner, open up and say "Baaaaaaa"!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Eminent domain laws have superceded property rights. Eventually there will be some law with a disarming name which authorizes the gubment easy access to DNA from whoever they want. Its for the children of course. We'll just call it "The Child Safety Act".  
When the program kicks in they'll want to show how fun and easy it is for your kids to give DNA. They'll give them some bright colored chewing gum at school and let them spit in fun colors into the sample collection bag. If you refuse to participate, no gubment school for your children.
Just to show you how safe it is the federal employees will go first. Like the smallpox vacines a couple of years ago. The president on tv smiling while getting his shot. Since the military already gives (goes into the FBI data base along with the fingerprints), whose next? Statistics show people now have faith in the technology (just not the OJ jury). One more big terrorist scare and "The child safety act" may slide right through.
I hope I'm wrong because planting dna evidence is even easier than planting a gun. Or knife. Or weed. Mad at your boss? Frame him (Insert crime of choice here)with his coffee cup.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
So file a patent on your own DNA (which has been a common practice lately) and send invoices to all entities for intellectual property licensing. When they fail to pay, sue them in court (to which they will likely fail to appear) and enjoy your judgement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Your a day late and a dollar short. The hospitals have been collecting DNA samples from newborn babies for years under the disguise of disease testing. They would not release my son from the hospital until they had pricked his heal (sounds almost biblical, doesn't it?) to obtain a blood sample over 8 years ago when he was born. If you have been in any branch of the military since the 1950's, they have a sample somewhere. If you ever got a small pox vacination (check your bicep for the scar?) they have a sample on you too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only thing stopping this is some self-restraint and a few remaining checks and balances on the powers-that-be.  Wait until THAT goes away with the election of Hillary or someone like her.

Any of you younger people out there that haven’t studied Hitler’s rise to power need to do so NOW.  The parallels are alarming to stay the least.
View Quote

The parallels are very alarming and a lot closer than a lot of people realize.  Hitler used the communists, we use the terrorists. His henchmen came in long black coats and black uniforms in the night. Every major police department now has a masked squad of heavily armed officers under the guise of SWAT. I'm an officer myself but I don't like what I'm seeing lately.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay guys.  I hate big government as much as anyone.

But please explain to me how it will matter if they have a sample of my DNA.  It will enable them to identify me?  They can already do that.  How will this be a big deal?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every major police department now has a masked squad of heavily armed officers under the guise of SWAT. I'm an officer myself but I don't like what I'm seeing lately.
View Quote

Thank you for your honesty!  Too many people simply give LEOs carte blanche to acquire the men, tactics, and equipment to handle a situation that has a VERY small chance of occuring.  Its' the result of big budgets plus a citizenry that can be manipulated with comments like "We don't have the tools to protect you in these cases".  We gun guys are a perfect example of this hardware escalation.  If someone gave us a permission slip and money to buy what we wanted, we'd have a hard core inventory too.

Unfortunately, in the LEO world, this also shifts officers attitudes away from being approachable peace officers, to an unapproachable group that many prefer not to have contact with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top