Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 10:33:50 AM EDT
Why hasn't someone manufactured a ar15 in semi auto with a 100rd capacity (like a beta mag) that is bolted or welded in the magwell to get arround the AWB?? If im not mistaken then it could have all of the other evil features ie pistol grip, teli-stock, flash supressor, bayo lug, because it would not be possible for it to accept any other "detachable" magazines hence it would be exempt right? yet it would have a 100round capacity... Could I build somthing like this if i wanted to or am i missing something?

PS- I'm not really going to do anything, just wondering in case they renew the AWB, thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably because of the 10 rd mag limit.

You should have done this in 1993.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I belive that the magazine ban applies to manufacturing any magazine beyond 10 rounds reguardless if it's fixed or not.

You can manufacure a non-semi-automatic weapon and put evil features on it - or using a fixed magazine of less than ten rounds do the same thing ... but is a bayonette lug that important?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
does it make a difference if the beta mag itself is a pre ban?? or basicaly for this type of a set up 10rounds is all i can do?? thanks again
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
A number of states have explicit limits (10 in some, odd numbers like 31 in OH).  The other problem is that I think the AWB still applies:

SEC. 07. BAN OF LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) Prohibition: Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section----06, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

`(u)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

`(2) This subsection does not apply to--

`(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency of the United States or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;

`(B) the lawful transfer or lawful possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device that was lawfully possessed before the effective date of this subsection; or

`(C) the transfer or possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary.'.

(b) Definition of Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device: Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section----02(b), is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(30) The term `large capacity ammunition feeding device'--

`(A) means--

`(i) a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; and

`(ii) any combination of parts from which a device described in clause (i) can be assembled; but

`(B) does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.'.
View Quote

With the exception of tubular .22LR mags, it looks like there is no exemption for fixed mags.  Even though your mag would be non-detachable, it would still violate the AWB.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
does it make a difference if the beta mag itself is a pre ban?? or basicaly for this type of a set up 10rounds is all i can do?? thanks again
View Quote

You'd still be SOL, because the preban mag cannot be modified to the extent that it no longer works in the original weapon; that constitutes manufacturing a new "high capacity" mag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
what would be the point? you would have to open the upper to reload and that would be a MAJOR PIA. Not to mention the weight.

mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
ya, it would be a pain, but it would be 100rds without reloading, and without unloading (beta mags can be loaded all the time without any negative effects on the mag)  Its more of a I don't really want to, but could i question
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you even have a fucking ar??

Do you know how heavy 100 rounds of ammo is when hanging from the magwell????

Carry extra mags and stfu, MILSURP!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

[RED][B]BINGO!!!!!!!!!!![/B][/RED]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
why does everyone on this forum accuse me of beings some jack ass named MILSURP!! I am not him, just asking a stupid question.. I assure you that i understand how much 100 rounds weigh, i am just wondering if is was possible... man, cut me some slack
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[RED][B]BINGO!!!!!!!!!!![/B][/RED]
View Quote

Cruel guys, just plain cruel.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why does everyone on this forum accuse me of beings some jack ass named MILSURP!! I am not him, just asking a stupid question.. I assure you that i understand how much 100 rounds weigh, i am just wondering if is was possible... man, cut me some slack
View Quote

Seems you have been asking a lot of stupid questions lately, no????

Im sure that this has been on here before, but I'm new... What would you say is the best polymer framed handgun for SHTF.... Im looking to buy a new one, I was thinking a USP tactical, but I have never shot one and no ranges in my area have them for rent. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks  
View Quote

What do you think of this fire arm? How well do the after market high cap mags fit? I was thinking of picking one up but it seams that it might not be worth the while. It would be used for plinking and paper shooting... Just wondering if its worth checking out or if i should just buy something else...
View Quote

I am so sick of talking with stupid people about the assault weapons ban sunset.
every response I get is "there is no need for the average citizen to own a machine
gun" ITS NOT A MACHINE GUN BAN!!!!!! It is a lame cosmetic ban, that
serves no purpose and should expire. I know everyone that reads this is going to
agree, but I am just way aggravated that people try to argue with me when they have
no clue what they are talking about. Then we have the media brainwashing every one
into thinking that this is a machine gun ban by using fictious terms and by showing
clips of a machine gun using terrorist to perpetuate the myth. When will people learn
that criminals are criminals because they do not obey the law, and stupid cosmetic
bans do nothing but penalize law abiding citizens. Thanks for listening I just need to
tell someone about my frustration....
View Quote

I have been a huge fan of researching AR related info on this web site and finally purchased my 1st AR15. I purchased a Bushmaster XM15E2 in A3 confuguration with a 20inch upper and a 1/9 twist. I bought it from a friends dad who purchased the firearm in 01/02. He takes good care of his guns and its in great condition.... I payed $550. My question is did I get as good of a deal as I think??
View Quote

Sounds like Milsurp to me.......HMMMMM
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top